Anvil - Terrapin - Mining Ship - Concept Sale Price [POLL]

VoA

Aegis - Terrapin - Mining Ship - Concept Sale Price [POLL]  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on what Price you expect CIG will set for the Aegis Terrapin in $$$

Anvil - Terrapin - Mining Ship - Concept Sale Price [POLL]

In Today's ATV (see text at bottom of Image)

VHm0hX5.jpg

Letter from the Chairman

Aegis Terrapin: A literal tough nut to crack, the Terrapin is the most heavily armored of the base-priced spacecraft on the market. Originally designed for long-range survey missions in dangerous star systems, the Terrapin’s design philosophy involves wrapping the ship in additional layers of armor and reserving a significant amount of engine power to host the largest shield generator in its class. Terrapins are popular among private miners, with an equipment mount and a small storage hold that can be converted for valuable minerals.

Post your speculations about the ship..... will it indeed be a smaller ship (a starter)......... or since we now have the Single Person MISC Prospector will the Terripin turn out to be a Medium Sized ship (maybe 2-3 person crew) in between the Prospector and Orion?

6 minutes ago, Karmaslap said:

That board says the lightning is in concept? Am I misreading on my phone screen? That had a nifty looking concept model over a year ago

Correct. The lightning is suppose to be the super modern space fighter (fills hornet role) but is only available to the military.

That quote about the Terrapin was from 2014 though so it's horribly out of date and I believe the Aegis 'Terrapin' (horrible name imo) may not even be intended as a mining ship at all anymore. Especially since CIG already went and gave us the MISC Prospector instead (which was originally the name for the Aegis mining starter ship on Ben's list of suggestions when he went to the meeting).

We tend to reference Wing Commander more often than Eve (which is to say, I'm not aware that we've ever intentionally used a name from Eve. But we have borrowed a few from Chris' previous world!) Drake, for instance, was a pirate base in the original Privateer... and Merlin was Blair's computer assistant in the Wing Commander film.

That said: names are super, super important and as writers we spend a whole lot of time coming up with them. Looking through the Skype log from yesterday, each of the 'third starter' ships must have had a dozen possibilities each before the ones we settled on. (In fact, going into the meeting my notes were: Drake Buccaneer, MISC FE-1, Anvil Wildcat, Aegis Prospector and Origin 615 :))

Link

Personally I think the Terrapin could work nicely as a small and sturdy salvage ship though as we are still missing a salvage 'starter ship'. Kinda like the baby brother of the Aegis Reclaimer. ;)

Also, not going to cast my vote in these threads as CIG will just charge the highest price they think they can get away with and CIG Marketing making up some bs story to justify it (Tier 2 Starter TROLOLOL). :P

1 hour ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Also, not going to cast my vote in these threads as CIG will just charge the highest price they think they can get away with and CIG Marketing making up some bs story to justify it (Tier 2 Starter TROLOLOL). :P

Indeed, I'm sure the ship will cost as much as they think they can get away with.
Im also sure it will be an amazing ship, and also that I will not be buying it. I spend too much on this game already:p

Well if mining related, its an automatic buy for me. Like to see something in between the prospector (solo) and the Orion (large crew) so like Connie size and 3-5 crew max. (just what I would like to see)

Yeah, to be honest. I don't see how they can get any smaller than the prospector it has a very limited cargo and size 1 weapon and single small size mining later. But it would have to be more since it is supposed to be heavily armored

16 hours ago, Morkulth said:

Correct. The lightning is suppose to be the super modern space fighter (fills hornet role) but is only available to the military.

Yes, but they had concept art and concept models for it well over a year ago during the leak already, but it's in concept now. Not whitebox.

1 hour ago, GeraldEvans said:

It's a starter ship and is a single seater.  I'd put it below the Reliant then which was the same wave so $40-45.

The Dragonfly was originally a full starter and now it's a half-snub, and the reliant is 60$ now and any ship in its class, especially a ship specialized for something, is going to be pricier

5 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Personally I think the Terrapin could work nicely as a small and sturdy salvage ship though as we are still missing a salvage 'starter ship'. Kinda like the baby brother of the Aegis Reclaimer. ;)

Why do we need another Salvage ship to compliment the Reclaimer (other ships can't have the refinery that the Reclaimer has) - so other smaller salvage ships only need a cargo hold and tractor beam - like the Caterpillar + Cutlass Black + 315P + Reliant Kore are all fine salvage ships (we don't need another).   Since they are working on mining as a game design function - why not have a medium size miner (2-3 person crew) in between a Prospector and Orion?

I imagine the Terrapin as similar to the Mining Pod from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which were described as "industrial-grade" and "nearly indestructible".

f5jei3h3ezwsqncaqkt1.jpg

I thought the coolest feature of the mining pods was their detached robotic "mining hands" that appeared to be operated with a tractor beam.

If the Terrapin is indeed a Salvage Starter ship, I expect it will have some sort of "grippers", similar to the Aegis Reclaimer's telescoping arm with salvage claw. I hope they're smaller and more hand-like though, which would be useful for salvaging component-sized items, like a weapon or shield generator from a derelict ship. Because I expect that a Salvage Starter ship will only be capable of salvaging smaller items, not whole ships or even large pieces of a ship. A ship that basically loots the most valuable components and leaves the carcass of the derelict behind.

Another idea I had is a two-stage ship, with a salvage pod containing a single seat cockpit, which detaches from the primary hull of the ship, which has the cargo hold, power plant, and engine(s). The Salvage Pod would be small enough to venture inside of capital ships, and even large non-cap ships, like a Starfarer. The Salvage Pod would grab items and store them in a small hopper, then deposit them in the main hull's cargo hold.

Another option is that the Terrapin carries a remotely-controlled Salvage Drone, which would serve the same purpose of venturing inside a derelict ship and looting its valuable items.

That's what I'm hoping for with the Terrapin. I suppose we'll soon see what CIG has in mind for the Terrapin.

The Terrapin concept from back in the day always struck me as odd.  A heavily armored mining/utility ship?  Goofy.

Anyways, tonight in RTV, Ben said that the original concept statements may not be accurate.  In light of this revelation, we'll just have to sit tight and see what they give us.  I'm sure aspects of the Terrapin concept will remain (heavily armored, fewer offensive mounts) to match its name, but beyond that, who knows?  We'll just have to see.  

I do hope it retains a non-combat primary focus though.  There are a lot of purpose built dogfighters entering the arena (Hornets, Sabre, Bucc, etc.) and something not focused on mobility and firepower may not have a very good chance against such ships.

2 hours ago, VoA said:

Why do we need another Salvage ship to compliment the Reclaimer (other ships can't have the refinery that the Reclaimer has) - so other smaller salvage ships only need a cargo hold and tractor beam - like the Caterpillar + Cutlass Black + 315P + Reliant Kore are all fine salvage ships (we don't need another).   Since they are working on mining as a game design function - why not have a medium size miner (2-3 person crew) in between a Prospector and Orion?

LOL the 315P as a salvage ship? You smoking mushrooms again VoA? :P

the-shrooms-have-kicked-in.jpg

Anyways, just having a ship with a cargohold and slapping on a tractor beam doesn't make it a dedicated salvage ship. Just like having a small STS turret on a Corvette doesn't make it OP. ;)

23 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

LOL the 315P as a salvage ship? You smoking mushrooms again VoA? :P

Actually Ben has talked about the 315P being a small salvage ship.   Actually perfect for those that want to explore small wrecks  - like the ones we find in the PU now.

As for STS turrets - I bet you were disappointed that the Dragonfly didn't have one huh? :P

20 minutes ago, VoA said:

Actually Ben has talked about the 315P being a small salvage ship.   Actually perfect for those that want to explore small wrecks  - like the ones we find in the PU now.

As for STS turrets - I bet you were disappointed that the Dragonfly didn't have one huh? :P

So.... Ben has been smoking the shrooms then. That guy has been wrong on so many things in the past it's hard to take anything he says serious in my opinion. ;)

As to STS turrets, nah gonna use my Dragonfly mainly for planetside as it's just a Star Wars speeder. Don't need a STS turret to kill Ewoks. Just so long as my Polaris has a dual S6 turret as its primary weapon I'll be perfectly fine. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...