Aegis Sabre

VoA

13 hours ago, Karmaslap said:

What? Shields block ballistics based on the % of shield remaining. You want to chew on the shields with energy to get them to half health then open up with ballistics so they can take advantage of bullet penetration. Realistically, what matters is preserving the ammo you do have for as long as possible and getting as much damage as you can out of it, so you use lasers while you can.

^This is how I understand it too and also it's what I've experienced ingame. Shops go down much faster with ballistics than all energy weapons. CIG have stated many times that ballistics are going to be much more powerful (hence the limited ammo). In fact I only run panthers along side the tarantulas because of the ammo issue.

2 hours ago, LloydM said:
^This is how I understand it too and also it's what I've experienced ingame. Shops go down much faster with ballistics than all energy weapons. CIG have stated many times that ballistics are going to be much more powerful (hence the limited ammo). In fact I only run panthers along side the tarantulas because of the ammo issue.

Not to open up a can of worms, but this is one of the main problems/issues many vet players have with the way shields work currently. From a pure DPS stand point and kill effectiveness, ballistics are the way to go. Ballistics currently eat away hulls much faster while at the same time slowly wittling down shields and directly bypassing them. This allows players with a mono boat setup of ballistics to instantly cause hull damage to ships, ignoring shields. Although a ship with full shields in theory should greatly reduce ballistics, CIG has not tweaked the damage values nor shield deflect rates enough to deter players from using all ballistics set ups. When the line of reasoning then becomes that the balance is in limited ammo, you then start going down the slippery road of players being able to buy uec with cash for quick reloads of their munitions, based off what the daily limit you can spend real cash on, hence many see it as a p2w set up and balance from economic standpoint, rather than from a gameplay standpoint. That's why generally for combat, most players do not use anything besides sabres and super hornet's as their DPS with full mono boat ballistics is one of the easier ways to set up a kill scenario.

What many would like to see is that ballistics are almost 0% effective or greatly reduced(essentially wasting ammo) with shields up and by taking them down with energy or electronic warfare weaponry and switching to ballistics once the hull has been exposed. I believe that balance is not a true focus for cig, at the moment, as I don't think many of them play enough to really understand how their weapons are currently behaving in the game. Instead of fixing how ballistics, energy weapons, and shields behave, they seem to be more dead set on adjusting hull values to increase ttk's and ignoring the true problem with the weapon balancing.

With the ramming, strafing is only part of the equation as well. Throttle discipline is EXTREMELY important in maintaining both current and future vectors. With the inclusion of jerk and ramp up times with acceleration thrusters, ships often have a delayed feel of movement input due to thrusters and mains ramping up your accelerations to get to match the vectors you are choosing. If your a player who is constantly at full throttle, sliding and drifting will ultimately take over your vectors as you do not have enough thruster output to change your vector withouttaking necessary measures(counter shunting, slowing down, boost vectoring, etc.) Also factor in that many players are using super cruise and faster to enter/exit engagements, paired with not having physical objects in space to reference your relatively high speeds, and it's pretty easy to see why people are having trouble with collisions. This also brings up why I'm a firm believer in the school of thought of really getting to know your ships via arena commander and PvP as those modes really teach the tough lessons that players need to know when it comes to ship handling. Vandull AI in swarm is a complete joke and does pretty much nothing to prepare players for proper flight techniques when stepping into a game with actual players. I would argue that it actually negatively prepares players as it seems to promote bad habits that people then take into the pu.

And don't even get me started on the off the cuff change to the hard point system with the buccanear and twin-link turrets.:-bang:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/20/2016 at 2:05 PM, Caldon said:

So this Friday we'll be getting a Sabre variant (or recolor, like the Gladius) : the Sabre Comet. 

Sounds very race-shippey. What do you guys think?

Just seen that it's come out today instead, don't know why they changed it but you can get the comet for the next two days, i got one just because of the cool paint job :P 

On 20-11-2016 at 11:05 PM, Snakebyte said:

I like the idea of the variants, but as they are just loadouts and a skin that shouldn't be hard to get in game, so I'm not going to get over-excited by them. CIG said their purpose is to give players that never upgrade their fittings a better fitting to never upgrade...

Well, the schedule was thrown around again. And she's here.

Personally, I think she's pretty. Which makes it kind of grow on me, but I like the normal Sabre more. A shame it is indeed, a recolor.

1 minute ago, Caldon said:

Well, the schedule was thrown around again. And she's here.

Personally, I think she's not too pretty. Which makes it kind of grow on me, but I like the normal Sabre more. A shame it is indeed, a recolor.

I am buying one of each upgrade anyway. I'll probably melt them, but at least I'll have the option.

p.s. I like the digital camo, but I'm just weird.

1 minute ago, Snakebyte said:

I am buying one of each upgrade anyway. I'll probably melt them, but at least I'll have the option.

p.s. I like the digital camo, but I'm just weird.

Well, I edited my comment. Now that I'm staring at it, I find myself strangely liking it.

It must be some kind of magic.

On 21/11/2016 at 10:58 PM, Caldon said:

Well, I edited my comment. Now that I'm staring at it, I find myself strangely liking it.

It must be some kind of magic.

Who doesn't want to hide their spaceship in the middle of a city!

The new loadout weapons are:

• 2 x S3 - 2 x Sledge II (2)
  • 2 x S3  - 2 x Pryroburst Scattergun (3)
  • 2 x S2 - 6 x THunderbolt Missiles (3)

Are these weapons in the game yet? i.e. Are they any good?

--edit

OK, Sledge are, and they seem to overheat very quickly:

Just now, Caldon said:

That's actually not all that great in my opinion. :P Maybe I'll pick this Sabre up for the paintjob. But definitely not for the loadout.

Agreed, it is very hard to use the shotguns effectively they are really badly balanced. 

Spending $15 or $20 more for the variants seems all kinds of not worth it.  A different weapon loadout?  Not even a good one?  Come on.  If you want to fund the game more, buy a Merlin instead, and get your weapons from Arena Commander (Rec) points.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...