Anvil Carrack - Dedicated exploration ship

Hon-R

The layout of the Carrack may very well be somewhat complex, between the 'Tali and the 'Farer. We know there are three levels at least (cargo modules like the Cat, lower bridge and medical, upper bridge and mapping) and I'm expecting a higher level under the disc towards the aft end. Plus of course the access to launch bay, the forward turret, and the aft wing turrets.

I hope they switch the turrets around - the two wing-turrets are ideal weapons for the pilot to use since they can both shoot directly at what the pilot is looking at. From what I saw from the concept art, the bottom turret cannot. Or maybe there will be another system at work, remote control from a console?

You do know how big the ship is? unmanned turrents aren't exactly player controlled, as the AI isn't there yet. unmanned means AI control and the two side turrets are out of sight even with the shielding not covering the "cockpit". Also it's the Cockpit  it  two stores tall and  have several seats for operators.

The use of the unmanned turret is switched to gimble weapons atm and for the forseeable future, but they will change to un-manned turrets when  we get an AI

7 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

You do know how big the ship is? unmanned turrents aren't exactly player controlled, as the AI isn't there yet. unmanned means AI control and the two side turrets are out of sight even with the shielding not covering the "cockpit". Also it's the Cockpit  it  two stores tall and  have several seats for operators.

The use of the unmanned turret is switched to gimble weapons atm and for the forseeable future, but they will change to un-manned turrets when  we get an AI

AI controlled turrets are a horrible idea since they'll never quite do what you want them to. I want to be able to, at least, slave the turrets to my control or that of a crewmember.

And the turrets are out of sight for the captain. So? The Connie's guns are out of sight for the pilot, and he can use them perfectly. Same should go for the Carrack. The turrets, being way in the back of the ship, only need to be able to aim down a little to be able to shoot in front of the ship.

1 minute ago, Devil Khan said:

The Connie are gimbles, the Carrack are un-manned turret.

Yes. We have established that.

What I mean is, why not make those side turrets the unmanned ones, and give control over them to the pilot/copilot/the janitor idgaf, you know? It would make the ship a hell of a lot more fun to fly for the pilot, it'd be more practical, and it's another piece of AI people can do away with because nobody will want to use 100% cpu controlled turrets ever. Probably.

Gimbal weapons are  restrictive movement, but are designed to to hit targetes buy movement EG real life AH 64 front machine gun/cannon can move with the  co-pilots head.

The carrack is 123m in length the Connie only 58 metre and in width the carrack is 64 m that's wider than the connie in lenght. of course I don't think that are  set in stone with the carrack has to consider her internals. Also carrack has well over  twice the weight of the connie. 

AI will be dumb for  an empty  manned turret seat, but they wouldn't be that bad unlike the unmanned turrent which is designed to fire and hit enemies..

That doesn't change much in my opinion. True, you can't shoot things that are literally touching the nose of the ship, but maybe you shouldn't have to if you're good at flying her ;)

As for weight and length... Yeah, don't see the problem. If anything, the ship's length and design is actually beneficial to the turrets' minimum range.

And come on. I can understand the top turret of the carrack being slaved/AI controlled I guess... But the rear turret too? I don't think I'm comfortable with the CPU guarding my rear all the time.

I don't know DK.  AI is just another program.  They have to literally dumb down the AI to miss, RNG, etc.  I think Turret AI gunners can be as good as CiG let's them be.  I am not going to go back and look for it, but there was a ATV episode when they showed how they are making the AI FPS handicapped so the game play is more enjoyable.   

1 minute ago, Nova-Prime said:

I don't know DK.  AI is just another program.  They have to literally dumb down the AI to miss, RNG, etc.  I think Turret AI gunners can be as good as CiG let's them be.  I am not going to go back and look for it, but there was a ATV episode when they showed how they are making the AI FPS handicapped so the game play is more enjoyable.   

Exactly. I think it's fair game to have manned turrets be controlled by NPC's since you have the choice to tell them to bugger off and let a player take the wheel. But a 100% computer controlled turret is just a hazard, an unfair one at that. Besides, let's face it - being able to shoot stuff as the pilot enhances the flying experience. A lot.

ok, So you want control  over the side turrets and stick the  humans into the current un-manned turret which don't have are good arc really unlike the side which does have 360 degrees of each side. Also this is two turrets which would mean that 1 turret would not be firinbg 97% of the time? :D

I want the top and rear/bottom turrets controlled by people, and their firing arcs will likely be fine. It's not as if the computer could do much good otherwise.

And both side turrets would be slaved to me/copilot/whoever, so they would both be firing, if that's what you mean.

Edited by Caldon
Typo

Just now, Devil Khan said:

NPC is not AI. It's hard for me the explain.  We are talking about ingame AI.

Uhm. Then how would you classify NPC's? :P

Anyway, I brought a pic from the Carrack store page to show you the turrets have pretty great FoV's actually.

Carrack_side_view_final_Gurmukh.png

NPC are dependant  on their "skill set" a sharpshooter would be able to beat most  on turrets. the AI is the literal AI of the ship. AI is basically in the game as the AI but NPC is is his/her body in the game, even thought  it can  mean  me or you players  but haven't logged out but the body is there afaik. EG crew of the ship.

Also there is 4 levels of the ship 2 main sections and  down below with the rover and various modules and one up top with the airlock and access port to the  other ship.

5 minutes ago, Booster Terrik said:

AI can have almost perfect aim which is more than we can say for most humans. CIG will most likely sell different tiers of AI from shitty to great with corresponding prices and rareness. Personally I hope we can purchase pretty good AI for our ships.

Exactly. And like Nova said earlier, they've been shot in the knee to make them less overpowered since they had perfect aim. Now, NPC skills will probably improve over time, or we can at least hire good gunners, but the CPU controlled turrets in the Carrack will likely be static in stats. Once people find out how good/bad they are, Carrack owners get a huge target on their backs as easy prey. Or, ofc, the game becomes boring since the ubercannons can destroy every target. Either way, not ideal.

The fact that NPC's probably improve with time, and the AI cannons don't... Is that what you meant, Khan?

EDIT : Ah, I see this was indeed the case.

CIG is going to have to find a balance for ship (and turret AI) anyway or this game will get old pretty quick. Since more than 90% of ships (and therefore turrets and guns) are AI controlled having decent AI is important to a good gameplay experience. If they cannot give the carrack "balanced" AI turrets then they probably can't give any of the other NPC controlled ships in the PU decent turrets which would be a disaster for the game as a whole so I kinda hope they will ;)