Donut

• 1 month later...

With Vega out and the unfortunate price increase, it now makes more sense to either get a 1080ti or wait with what I have now and get Volta next year. So it now comes down to size, and Gsync is now thrown into the equation.

For the longest time I wanted this monitor: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8WTrxr/acer-xr382cqk-bmijqphuzx-375-3840x1600-75hz-monitor-xr382cqk-bmijqphuzx

But now that it's almost going to be exclusively Nvidia for the build, I have to consider Gsync and with that a smaller size monitor, but a gain in refresh rate with this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WDcMnQ/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002

As I have absolutely no experience with ultrawide monitors, will there be any regret downsizing 4" in height for the Gsync and higher refresh rate if going with an Nvidia card?

(Both are the same price now, bare that in mind)

3 hours ago, Donut said:

With Vega out and the unfortunate price increase, it now makes more sense to either get a 1080ti or wait with what I have now and get Volta next year. So it now comes down to size, and Gsync is now thrown into the equation.

For the longest time I wanted this monitor: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8WTrxr/acer-xr382cqk-bmijqphuzx-375-3840x1600-75hz-monitor-xr382cqk-bmijqphuzx

But now that it's almost going to be exclusively Nvidia for the build, I have to consider Gsync and with that a smaller size monitor, but a gain in refresh rate with this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WDcMnQ/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002

As I have absolutely no experience with ultrawide monitors, will there be any regret downsizing 4" in height for the Gsync and higher refresh rate if going with an Nvidia card?

(Both are the same price now, bare that in mind)

I have the X34A and I've never looked back. It's a beautiful monitor with good res, vibrant colours, and perfectly fluent due to Gsync.

You won't regret the purchase, and trust me, it's big enough that you won't miss another 4".

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we have a new king coming to market for G-Sync ultrawide monitors

- 35"

- 200hz

- HDR

- Quantum Dot

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-35-inch-curved-monitor

Earlier this year we announced 4K G-SYNC HDR displays, the first ever HDR monitors designed specifically for PC gaming, featuring high refresh rates, custom panels, Quantum Dot technology and support for HDR10, the HDR format being adopted for PC gaming. And because G-SYNC HDR displays are designed for PC gaming, they have near-zero input latency compared to HDR TVs, for fluid and responsive gameplay.

Today, at Computex 2017, we unveiled two new 35” curved G-SYNC HDR monitors from Acer and ASUS. Featuring a 21:9 aspect ratio, 3440x1440 resolution, and 1800R curvature, these monitors provide wrap-around immersion for gameplay, videos and day-to-day desktop work.

The monitors' new 35” LCD panel was designed in concert with AU Optronics, delivering the ultimate in HDR and gaming capabilities in a curved 21:9 wide-aspect ratio. Making full use of the bandwidth of the latest DisplayPort 1.4 specification, the WQHD panel refreshes at up to 200Hz for tear-free, ultra-smooth, responsive gaming. And, its HDR capabilities break new ground with a 512 zone full direct array backlight that sports a peak brightness of 1000 nits, for stunning and intense highlights, and exceptional contrast. In addition, DCI-P3 color gamut support is enhanced with a Quantum Dot Enhancement Film (QDEF) for outstanding color expression.

For further details of how these and other features enhance G-SYNC HDR displays, check out our G-SYNC HDR announcement article.

Acer Predator X35 NVIDIA G-SYNC HDR Monitor, Targeted For A Q4 2017 Launch NVIDIA G-SYNC HDR Monitor, Targeted For A Q4 2017 Launch
The Acer Predator X35 (left) and ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ (right) are targeted for a Q4 2017 release.

Acer and ASUS are also showing the latest versions of their 27” 4K G-SYNC HDR displays that were announced earlier this year. Now, each monitor features its final industrial design, and incorporates improvements based on feedback from their initial unveiling at CES.

5 minutes ago, Boildown said:

Muahahaha, its finally happening... Star Citizen taking so long means my next monitor is significantly better than it would be were Star Citizen on time.  MUHAHAHAHAAA.

We all knew it would happen. I don't consider it "so long" when the real development of the game only began when 2.0 release. Everything before hand was tech demo mock ups and theory crafting. I wouldn't be surprised if we have to upgrade again before the final product is delivered. The monitors shown here will probably be fine though, all of them in fact. A lot of people are still using monitors on VGA or HDMI cables that were included with their monitors several years ago.

• 1 month later...

Not an Ultrawide but it does feel like one, and it also has the "Hardware Canucks Dam Good" award

I do however prefer this one if you are going to go with a large monitor

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR49X900E-49-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01N284JCN/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507140161&sr=1-3&keywords=sony+xbr49x900e

Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 43.1" x 24.9" x 2.5", TV with stand: 43.1" x 27" x 9.4"

Smart functionality gives you access to your favorite apps and content using Sony’s Android TV.

Pairs 4K Ultra HD picture clarity with the contrast, color, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR) for the most lifelike picture.

Full-array local dimming technology, you get enhanced controlled contrast and incredible brightness in a stunningly slim design.

120Hz native refresh rate plus Motionflow XR gives you fast moving action scenes with virtually no motion blur

Inputs: 4 – HDMI, 2 - USB2.0, 1 – USB3.0, 1 – Component/Composite Hybrid, 1 – Composite

"MotionFlow

When you have a film that is filmed at 24 Hz, there are two different ways to put it on a 120-Hz television set. One is to show each frame five times. The other, which is what Sony MotionFlow does, is to create frames that represent averages of the two frames and show them in the intervals between the two original frames. Doing this creates a smoother and more natural appearance. However, because it looks very different from the slightly jittery motion you see at the movies or on traditionally filmed television, some feel that it looks unrealistic, referring to it as the "soap opera effect." If you do not enjoy the appearance of the MotionFlow processing on your Sony TV, you can turn it off."

With the Sony monitor, you can effectively get Freesync/Gsync no matter the card you use. Since both AMD and Nvidia will be going back and forth, it will be worth having a monitor that "technically" supports both

Here's a video for the Sony TV, it speaks for itself, though it's about $400 more than the 43" LG

My issue with projection is that it requires a lot of cable routing, the projector can be noisy and you need a dedicated dark room for it. All in all the setup might set you back more than a really highend TV.

Look, Projectors are ok for some screens ... basically totally dark. Also they are lacking the "perfect scale". The topic is "the best GAMING monitor". The V series is the cheapest Asus have, minus cheap business monitors. Descent, but I prefer PB or swifte. The ROG ones are expensive for the tag, but most are well worth it. PB and PA are basically the same just with PA means they have a stricter colour scheme that is professionally set the colour range/calibrations.

One thing do you think that screen lag doesn't exist more so on projectors (the cheaper the worse) or Low FPS.

Look, Projectors are ok for some screens ... basically totally dark. Also they are lacking the "perfect scale". The topic is "the best GAMING monitor". The V series is the cheapest Asus have, minus cheap business monitors. Descent, but I prefer PB or swifte. The ROG ones are expensive for the tag, but most are well worth it. PB and PA are basically the same just with PA means they have a stricter colour scheme that is professionally set the colour range/calibrations.
One thing do you think that screen lag doesn't exist more so on projectors (the cheaper the worse) or Low FPS.
Devil, check out the new laser projector. No dark room required.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/6/16258856/epson-hd-laser-projector-ls100-home-cinema

35 minutes ago, Painmiester said:

Just get a ultra wide 34 inch predator only 1400..

This. Or the PG348Q, they're the same monitor in a different skin. I took the Predator because it's less gaudy than the Asus version.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:55 AM, GeraldEvans said:

I used to use projection. It was great. Star Citizen 110" across.@Irres uses it presently last I checked.

For anyone considering projector it is pretty awesome.  I can only speak for the one I have which is ultra short throw and it is LED so replacement bulbs should not be too expensive, and it says it will last like 10 years (30,000 hours) before needing to replace.  I play most of my controller based games on here.  For some reason, Overwatch (I'm assuming fps' in general) give my eyes strain on the projector so those get played on my tv.  But SC was okay, although I did not try too much intensive dogfighting on this mostly free flight.

Ultra short throw only requires about 15-18 inches to get up to 150"

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-PF1000UW-Theater-Projector/dp/B01MSBRYZL/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507908818&sr=8-3&keywords=ultra+short+throw

I do run a 25 foot DVI to HDMI cable to it, but that depends on where your pc is set up.

Yes you need a semi dark room.  This one works in lit rooms fairly decently but not at day light temperature lights.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, Boildown said:

I've been planning on getting a G-Sync high refresh 21:9 monitor for a while now.  Just waiting on Star Citizen / Squadron 42 before I pull the trigger.  I figure the longer I wait, the better the chances are that something better will come out, or the existing ones will get cheaper. I do want to see the craziness that is a 32:9 monitor though.  That seems kinda insane!  Maybe this is the last gasp before the new panel technologies arrive?

Doing the same here as the tech improves and settles in a bit. For now I run an Apple Cinema Display off of the PC.  It looks and performs great.

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2018 at 11:24 PM, Kaylee220 said:

I want to know which monitor you end up with, because I'm also looking for a good gaming monitor.

I'm most likely going to end up with a single 65" 120hz 4K G-Sync Nvidia Monitor and use Virtual Desktop when I want surround gaming

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/Virtual_Desktop/