MISC FREELANCER!

thehumangerm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So today is payday and bonus month to boot too. I really want a Lancer but spending the money on one still scares the crap outta me! I own an Aurora LN and a 325a so far but not sure whether to upgrade one on my current ships or get it outright. Does anyone fly the Lancer with Saitek X52's on here? I'm worried that I wont be able to aim the guns properly as I usually remove all gimbals as aiming with them and a HOTAS is nigh on impossible for me.

5 minutes ago, foxy0116 said:

So today is payday and bonus month to boot too. I really want a Lancer but spending the money on one still scares the crap outta me! I own an Aurora LN and a 325a so far but not sure whether to upgrade one on my current ships or get it outright. Does anyone fly the Lancer with Saitek X52's on here? I'm worried that I wont be able to aim the guns properly as I usually remove all gimbals as aiming with them and a HOTAS is nigh on impossible for me.

Go into PU and ask someone to let you fly their Freelancer. Or go into Free Flight and ask. There are a lot of people with no problem of letting others pilot their ships atm.

Try it for yourself and see if you like it.

Just now, Wu Jen said:

Go into PU and ask someone to let you fly their Freelancer. Or go into Free Flight and ask. There are a lot of people with no problem of letting others pilot their ships atm.

Try it for yourself and see if you like it.

Not a bad shout! I just don't want to end up with something that I cant defend myself in. Time to hit up the PU

On 4/17/2016 at 0:22 PM, Squirrel said:

Someone edited some files to give a Freelancer a ton of missiles in Arena Commander.  This could be looked at as a teaser of what a MIS might fight like:

You don't have to file hack. You just have to have a lot of Vanguards to pull those Aegis Quad racks off of. Load them up with Rattler missiles and Voila'! That video was also sped up to about x4 speed. You can fit like 48 of them on it.

On 05/05/2016 at 10:08 AM, Turo said:

Nice!  Very jealous.  I'm still eyeballing the Freelancer MAX.  Once we get mercantile options in the verse, will likely spring for one.

Are you able to do okay with it and your HOTAS?  That's how I fly the majority of the time too.

Yes so far its not too bad. I lock the gimbals and it works fine for me. The tarantulas are a bit 'weak' and will need an upgrade as even though there are 4 of them I dont feel that they really pack a punch!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
She's a beauty isn't she?:D I was so happy to see CIG use a Freelancer in the 3.0 demo at Gamescom.

I wonder when we're getting her variants. I wonder if the DUR will still sport those odd nose.. bubbles.

I agree she is beautiful, I hope they finish the remodeling of the variants soon I want to see what the MAX is going to look like when they a done with it!

MAX has a trade off. You are getting 5kg more space and double the engines at the cost of half the missiles.

Which is fine by me. Using missiles to down enemy is expensive and not recommended (450 or so a pop in current build). Waiting for MAX to show up in build so can see top speeds when empty.

You can have some entertainment with Lancer in current 2.5 build with the fuel it carries, since you do not Have to rearm/refuel at cry-astro every couple of missions. Usable side door also makes the missions a LOT easier to do. It seems the wing tips (missile racks) are the first to go in most combat that goes badly (forget to roll the depleted shield from enemy), so I have been trying my best to not get too use to them being there.

Fun times. - DRUM out

I don't really consider the MAX much of a trade-off considering what you get in return. You keep the manned turret and the 4xS3 gimbals which are all that matter in combat as far as weaponry goes, and you still have 6 missiles at your disposal anyway. What you get in return is a cargo bay more than twice the size of the Freelancer (more on this later) and 4 engines instead of 2. You can still more than hold your own in combat, but now you're capable of large and lucrative hauls to a much greater extent than any other Freelancer variant. It was said that all ships would be able to get kitted with exploration gear as well, so you could easily make it a faster DUR with a bigger cargo capacity. Moreover, the cargo bay in the MAX is so much bigger because it is much wider than that of the other variants. This means that you can fit a lot of small vessels into it, ranging from 4 dragonflies to an m50 to an Ursa rover. The storage makes it very versatile - you could use it to drop-off 4 dragonflies into a heated battlefield while you provide additional air support; you could explore the unknown in space and bust out the rover once you see an interesting planet; you can smuggle all kinds of goods and tiny ships from one galaxy to the other etc.