Welcome to Star Citizen Base

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

thehumangerm

MISC FREELANCER!

295 posts in this topic

Boys and girls, I introduce the MISC Freelancer for your enjoyment!

Builder: MISC (Musashi Industrial & Starflight Concern)

Crew (max): 2

Mass (empty): 55,000 KG

Focus: Long-Range Exploration / Heavy Mercantile

MISC is known for producing efficient, modular, middle-of-the-road ships, primarily transports of

different sizes. Freelancers are used as long haul merchant ships by major corporations, but they are just as frequently repurposed as dedicated exploration vessels by independent captains who want to operate on the fringes of the galaxy. Don’t let some of the alien technology in the cockpit surprise you: the Freelancer’s design owes several of its internal systems to a lend-lease deal with the Xi’An.

Upgrade Capacity: 10

Cargo Capacity: 20 tonnes

Engine-

Modifiers: 3

Max. Class: Anti-Matter

Thrusters: 2x TR5, 8 x TR2

Hardpoints-

4 x Class 2: Equipped 2 x Behring M3A Laser Cannon

2 x Class 3: Equipped 2 x Talon Stalker Image Recognition missiles

1 x Class 4: Equipped 1x Behring M5A Laser Cannon (turret)

Similar to… Galaxy, Gea Transit, Humpback, Imperial Shuttle

http-~~-//vimeo.com/55135567#

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gallitin and NathanGPLC like this

Looks like they are modifying the rear wing after the comments about how they preferred the ship without the wings. This is still concept renderings so it is not final but lets just say I am happy already. Like a kid in a candy store!

Very cool. You're quick on the updates ;) Now I kinda want one. Though I don't think it'll offer anything that my Stella doesn't do. Anyway, I definitely like that design more for an explorer. The other one was cool, but looked more like a jet liner. This looks like something that you could sit in while scanning the stars. It's great to see it modeled! I also like the shortened wings on the sides. The big ones just seemed a bit ungainly and without purpose. I can't wait for more!

thehumangerm likes this

Yes the other concept was much more military in appearance. There is a good chance we will see it as a different ship design. It did look good. Just not for this ship concept. With alien tech in the ship it should stand out from other human ships in my opinion. Yes the Stella is indeed a fine ship especially since you are paying twice as much for it. But at the same time I have a feeling that having a four+ crew ship may not always good for some things. You may not have as good of an advantage unless you have the proper crew for it. Also 2 seats is all you need to board a ship not that his ship is designed for it. Also It has comparable engines to the Stella and almost as many upgrade slots for a smaller ship. Also a rear facing turret sounds great especially with highly advanced anti-mater engines! It will force more distance on enemies while out distancing them.

Chris posted on the RSI update comments section. The design choice was made "...as visibility during dogfights is always important. And I guarantee if we weren’t thinking about it there would be a lot of upset Freelancer pilots complaining about visibility." Lack of visibility was always part of the character of various ships in WC/Privateer. Getting the cockpit out of our way seems to be an ongoing theme. Which is probably for the best, from a practical standpoint, but I liked the idea of cockpits which really envelop you. Also, it seems that the crew of 2 sits side by side. So the turrets in SC must be remotely controlled. Also a change from WC, and it might open up options for the pilot to switch over to turret control with something like a KVM toggle.

like the main weapons of most of the ships they will most likely track with the head of the pilot. I am sure they do not want to take away too much from the flight experience with over complicated gun controls. I think they are somewhat modeling this ship after the B-52 without it being a bomber.

The Freelancer definitely looks cooler than I thought a freighter could look when I originally pledged for it. But I don't regret upping my pledge for the Constellation.

I wouldn't mind owning a Freelancer, but I'm not going to buy it for $100. I'll acquire it in-game.

If it's true that it takes some time (hours? a day? dunno) for an insured ship to be replaced after it's destroyed, I could buy a Freelancer and use it as my backup ship.

The ship is not even finished yet. They mention adding a rear turret and reducing the side engines to two instead of the displayed four. We shall see. Also they changed the cockpit to insure that visibility is there. Remember that you are literally playing as a character in the ship not playing in a 3rd person perspective. The original concept windows were tiny. It would give you a real disadvantage. I also really like the stars being integrated into the front landing platform. I really think once done it will be hard to beat in its class and size of ships. I doubt Chris will allow any ship carrying the Freelancer name be a mediocre ship. More seats is not always better for some tasks. Bigger is not always better. I also have a feeling it will be more maneuverable than the the larger Stella. I would like to have both who wouldn't But not if it meant giving up this one with lifetime insurance.

After this came out, I am definitely glad that I upgraded to a Stella. Not saying the Freelancer doesn't look good, just the Stella is too amazing to pass up. I do like how the Freelancer is very efficient at its roll, but the Stella annoys me abit wit the p52. I think the p52 is a waste of space, as a merchant, I prefer the space to be used for merchandise~~ :wub:

This is what Chris had to say on the topic. :D

All - The Freelancer conceptual update seemed to have caused a bigger controversy than any PvP vs PvE debate!

486 Posts!!!!

I need to clear up one thing.

The video was an abbreviated version of a longer edit for subscribers that we haven't shared yet as we don't have a good solution for segmenting content until everyone from KS is integrated. Once KS is integrated we will have three areas of access -

1. PUBLIC (for anyone, overview, teases of the game, ability to back)

2. BACKERS (comm-link, forums, spectrum dispatch, holo-viewer, engineering, galactapedia, RSI museum)

3. SUBSCRIBERS (Jump Point, The Vault, more involved behind the scenes, basically an Engineering private area for subscribers)

One thing the abbreviated video (which was more a reader digest / sizzle version) didn't do was make it clear that this is NOT the final Freelancer design.

It came across as this is the final look, and here's some cool color on how we got there. The session we filmed was a review session of the work in progress and went over my notes to Jim, which included a lot of the things people we're complaining about. That detail just didn't make it into the shorter version. Going forward we're going to make sure that even the teaser / sizzle versions for non subscribers make it clear that this sort of thing is still an early step in the development of any ship. There is normally weeks if not a couple of months that go on in the ship design and development process and many, many iterations as we have to think about the functionality and ergonomics as much as the look of any ship that is going into Star Citizen. As we had shared a couple of early concepts with the community and let you guys vote on the direction you wanted to take it (which was NOT voting on the final look as that is impossible to do when you're in 2D concept for the same reason car or plane concepts never match up 100% with the final article) we wanted to come back with multiple video updates for subscribers and backers on the process so everyone could see the amount of thought and love that goes into designing each ship.

We're still figuring out a good way to get the subscriber content to the subscribers before the site becomes segmented, and we owe everyone the first issue of Jump Point - that will be coming probably the following week (i.e. week of Dec 17th). We'll try to get the longer version out to subscribers this coming week and perhaps share the longer version with everyone on Friday so they can see the kind of in-depth stuff we want to provide for "Development Subscribers".

One thing to note before anyone complains why the subscribers are getting more in-depth content than a basic backer - the revenue we are getting from subscriptions is going for extra people to film, edit and manage the behind the scenes material as well as add more content to the game itself. We would not be able to do / afford this with out the backing of the "Development Subscribers". So the whole community owes a thanks to the generous people that have subscribed as they are making the experience better for all!

-CR

Pnuts likes this

Now that its available in the Hangar Module, maybe we can continue discussions about this wonderful ship here again.

Anyone noticed how rusty and beat up it looks?

Also, the rear turret is so spartan, there's no gunnery seat. I suppose someone 'really tall' could man it whilst standing...:P Can't wait for the variants in the brochure. Should be very close now...

I think that the textures are a placeholder until they get something better.  Probably the same for the turret design.  They'll probably modify the cockpit too, for the sake of visibility and those uselessly small and flat displays.

As good visibility and HUD usefulness go, I think the Aurora was the most developed.

Talking about placeholders, did you guys notice the specs on the 2 mounted Behring M3A 'cannons'? They're pea-shooters! Long range, low damage... As far as cannons go, that's pretty awful LOL (granted that's still all subject to change).

I finally added the Freelancer today. :)

I know that I'm just going to reclaim the Freelancer when the brochure is released next month, and I'll replace it with an upgraded model. I decided to buy it so that I now have all 6 ships in my Hangar -- even if the Cutlass is just a model. I also did it to push my Pledge Total over $1000, so I now have Concierge access and can upgrade to a Platinum Star Citizen Card. B)

Kellso and M.. like this

Thanks, I'm very proud of the personal fleet I've assembled over the last 10 months. :D  B)

Technically, we can't "upgrade" our ships anymore, per se, in the same way that we could with the Aurora or 300i -- CIG removed that option shortly after migrating to RSI Prime. The supposed reason was that a lot of over-zealous 300i owners bought both the 315p and 325a upgrades, and afterward CIG broke the news that they couldn't apply both upgrades to the same 300i ship.

Once RSI Prime was launched, backers could easily reclaim their ships for Store Credits and use those credits to buy other ships, including upgraded models of the ship they just melted down.

As I explained, that's exactly what I intend to do with the Freelancer I just bought. I decided to buy it to complete my Hangar and to gain Concierge access so CIG will answer my questions. Hopefully I'll get an answer when the Hornet brochure is due to be released, and if the F7A Military Hornet will be available as a Limited Edition during the promo.

My next question will definitely be when the Freelancer's brochure will be released. :D