MISC FREELANCER!

thehumangerm

i know we all think that the freelancer has lost the small JP access, but do we have any official word to that effect? (i'll be doing a google search on my own too)

as for the difference between the DUR and MIS, i was just talking about the stock config with maybe a few minor upgrades, like the second missle rack for the MIS or underclocking the components of the DUR for more stealth, not direct upgrades into better equipment (at least for me) but since you want to go there i still think that the DUR can be upgraded with the best sensors for finding any other ships around it, cause if you see trouble in time enough to avoid it, you dont even need any weapons

the MIS will probably have the best targeting sensors with not as much range as the DUR, but since it's got all those missiles it has a deterrence factor from others bothering it, if that doesn't work at least you got some fire power to put some hurt on the enemy

There's a few links in this reddit thread:  https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vbpgg/with_the_freelancer_seat_redesign_i_think_we_can/cxm6k3o

Google search for context: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=star+citizen+freelancer+small+jump+point

On that thread, a user (shaneaus) said: 

"I couldn't hear CR at the Austin Bar Citizen's hangout on Nov 22nd. However, someone stated that while asking questions he stated the FL WOULD fit into the smallest jump points... At SXSW last year when I asked him about it he was definitely against it and stated the FL would be the smallest ship to fit in the second sized jump point... I implored him to reconsider... Maybe, he heard the lamentation of the FL owners? LOL!! But, it sounds like this may not be final as of yet."

And followed up with: "My [previous] comments were based on personal conversation with CR and, what was overheard, personally, by others at the Austin Bar Citizen meetup. So, the last word was at the Austin BC meetup and the FL would fit...." 

But it remained unclear whether or not what they heard CR say that it WOULD fit, or it WOULDN'T.

Nothing "official" has ever been said about it after CR said the following and caused all the stir.. at least, nothing I can find. As is stated above he said at SXSW that it definitely wouldn't fit, and also in this video from March 13 2015:

For the MIS/DUR thing, I'm fairly sure that anything you can put on a DUR, you can put on a MIS.. I recall it being one of the selling points (maybe in the brochure?) so that means the upgraded sensor and dampened engines that you're talking about can be put on a MIS. But yeah, in stock layout the DUR is better for exploring. Stock stuff won't be on our main ships after about a week of live PU, thus I'm having trouble internally justifying its existence. I've probably misunderstood something though.

Yeah, we should buy ships for what they have that is not modular, i.e. reloading missiles, larger cargo hold, extra engines, PDS, etc.  I see nothing special about the DUR so the MIS or Max is a better buy. For the jump points, I think the MAX should go through medium while the rest go through small points. This would give the regular freelancer a purpose that does exist today. However, I believe they did this because they wanted to provide a market for the small haulers like the Auroras and Titans. Otherwise, the small jobs would be completely used by FR owners. Or, they could make a fourth size of jump point. The small ones for the starters, the next smallest for medium ships like Cutlasses and Freelancer, and then one larger for connies. Finally they would have large for that slew of craft. At this point, I think the reliant or cutlass might be just as profitable as the FR due to them being able to take shorter routes. 

The "special" thing about the DUR was, back when it was announced, the extended fuelpods, special long-range scanner array and that we were told that the Freelancer was the largest ship to fit through smaller jumppoints/wormholes. When they changed that I must admit I felt cheated a bit.

Back when they announced the DUR we didn't know anything about other exploration ships aside from Origin 315p.

I went for the DUR because I wanted a ship with a cargohold and enough space to do stuff... that I could fly on my own or with a friend, not needing multiple crew members and the "hassle" of management. Things changed along the way, but I kept my DUR. I sort of fell in love with the design and the concept. The pick-up truck-ish ship that I'll fly untill the engines fall off. The old trusty "rust bucket" of a ship she'll eventually be after patching her up many times... like Han Solo loves the Falcon, or Malcom Reynolds loves Serenity.

I am looking forward to what the redesign brings to the Freelancer variants, since the other multi-crew ship all having modular design.
All I know is that I'm going to have a blast decking her out, modifying her paintjob and flying her around the verse.

And that's what it's all about.

I almost want the freelancer to be a rough and tumble ship, almost like the Millennium Falcon. The one that takes on the most dangerous runs to resupply the farthest reaches of the galaxy. However, it has become more of a stepping stone to other, larger ships. It can easily be skipped by Reliant flyers who carry 30 SCU. 

17 hours ago, PixelChaos said:

having a greater weapons capabilty will act as a deterrent and more willingness to use said weapons in an encounter (even if your not willing to use them the enemy doesn't know that) however not all encounters will be like that, as 1 MIS up against 6 cutlasses is more than likely going to lose, as for cargo insurance i'm not sure if it will cover contrabanned items, which are generaly the most profitable if done right (and being lucky)

I agree the MIS would be a less appealing target for Pirates, but I think it would be a combination of reduced cargo capacity and greater offensive capabilities compared to other Lancers.

I think 1 MIS versus 6 Cutlasses is what the MIS was designed for, because it has enhanced tracking sensors for its missiles. It's unclear what advantages its sensors will bestow; possibly increased range, increased accuracy, faster target lock, ability to target-lock multiple ships simultaneously. It could be any of those, all of those, or some combination. I wouldn't dismiss a MIS's chances against 6 Pirate Cutlasses, because IME the Cutlass Black is a total glass cannon, and can be destroyed by a single S2 missile hit -- or crippled by the proximity detonation of a near-miss. Also, the Pirates will (presumably) try to disable the MIS with disruptor weapons rather than destroy it (along with its cargo), whereas the MIS wouldn't hold anything back. The MIS might lose the fight, but I'd wager it would take out most of the Cutlasses in the process.

BTW, I own a MIS, so I don't have anything against it. I just don't think it makes sense to be a trader and use the MIS, instead of a base Lancer or MAX. I bought the MIS to serve as a missile boat, not to carry cargo. I think that the amount of cargo space you'd sacrifice for the MIS's firepower wouldn't be worthwhile long-term, because a Lancer or MAX would earn a lot more profit per delivery. Even if a Lancer/MAX was interdicted more often, and the MIS never got interdicted by Pirates, I think the former would make more money. And like I said before, if the MIS did fight the Pirates, the cost of missiles could cost them more than the cargo they're defending.

Generally speaking, I think it's smarter to use ships for their intended purpose, rather than go against the grain. ;)

Yeah, I agree with @Reavern. Even the base freelancer has so many missiles many would considered not worth it to fire them all (they are like a dollar a piece or more of real money). However, if you just shoot one or two and then use those size 5 cheek hard points, things could get real nasty. I think using Neutron cannons would be your best bet because if a pirate is far away, a freelancer can probably outrun him. 

The pics of the Freelancer update are great. It's a huge improvement over the original -- which looked good at the time. The new interior really shows what CIG is capable of.

The only problem is that the interior styling isn't what I was expecting for the Freelancer. I think the existing style captured the industrial, utilitarian, sorta deliberately "ugly" style. The Freelancer update seems too similar to the Constellation's updated interior. That style update made sense for the Constellation, because their reputation is for high quality and versatile civilian ships. Whereas MISC is known for robust commercial transport ships. Even if you ignore the different markets the ships are made for, I don't think the Freelancer's interior should look so similar to the Constellation. I think that RSI should have a distinctive style, and MISC should have their own style. And anyone should be able to look at a ship's interior and be able to say, "That's a RSI ship. That's a MISC ship. That's an Anvil, that's Aegis, etc."

So I hope that when the updated Freelancer is released, CIG will have perform a final pass on the design and achieved a more authentic MISC style.

On 12/11/2015 at 7:29 PM, Reavern said:

The pics of the Freelancer update are great. It's a huge improvement over the original -- which looked good at the time. The new interior really shows what CIG is capable of.

The only problem is that the interior styling isn't what I was expecting for the Freelancer. I think the existing style captured the industrial, utilitarian, sorta deliberately "ugly" style. The Freelancer update seems too similar to the Constellation's updated interior. That style update made sense for the Constellation, because their reputation is for high quality and versatile civilian ships. Whereas MISC is known for robust commercial transport ships. Even if you ignore the different markets the ships are made for, I don't think the Freelancer's interior should look so similar to the Constellation. I think that RSI should have a distinctive style, and MISC should have their own style. And anyone should be able to look at a ship's interior and be able to say, "That's a RSI ship. That's a MISC ship. That's an Anvil, that's Aegis, etc."

So I hope that when the updated Freelancer is released, CIG will have perform a final pass on the design and achieved a more authentic MISC style.

I disagree. In fact the redesign does make sense for MISC. They have been pushing their tech for quite some time and have integrated Xi'an technology into their own ships. you cant expect their ships to look dingy and old just because they're commercial ships. 

Also, when you compare the different MISC ship interiors (and exteriors) you can see a clearly distinctive style for all the MISC ships across the board, and it looks beautiful. I don't think these new designs look like the Constellation at all. Maybe a little because those last screenshots are rather dark. I was expecting a bit more light in the cargo hold, like the concept art. 
They just put way more detail and brought the quality up to the current level.

4 hours ago, Fizzlefuse said:

I disagree. In fact the redesign does make sense for MISC. They have been pushing their tech for quite some time and have integrated Xi'an technology into their own ships. you cant expect their ships to look dingy and old just because they're commercial ships. 

Also, when you compare the different MISC ship interiors (and exteriors) you can see a clearly distinctive style for all the MISC ships across the board, and it looks beautiful. I don't think these new designs look like the Constellation at all. Maybe a little because those last screenshots are rather dark. I was expecting a bit more light in the cargo hold, like the concept art. 
They just put way more detail and brought the quality up to the current level.

I don't mean "dingy and old". I mean utilitarian and spartan. If you buy a new pickup truck, or big rig truck, or even a cargo plane, it's not going to be scratched, dented, and rusted. It will have a straightforward, functional style that emphasizes utility, durability, and ease of maintenance. The primary materials are probably going to be plastic and metal. It's not going to have mahogany paneling with gold trim or leather seats.

In terms of build quality and styling, we know the Origin JumpWorks is considered the luxury brand; RSI is probably second, because they're known for high quality ships; Consolidated Outland is probably third (at least in terms of style); and MISC is probably in the middle with Aegis Dynamics; with Anvil Aerospace and Drake Interplanetary being the least stylish (although Anvil's ships are extremely durable).

I'm aware the MISC has a partnership with the Xi'An, but it seems to be mainly their thruster tech (Xi-Tech); not their sleek, streamlined style of ships. The Reliant is considered the most Xi'An-tech heavy ship in MISC's catalog, but even it is more human in style than alien.

I'm sure than CIG has created "style guides" for each ship manufacturer, which detail how each one is unique, with certain distinguishing features. For example, the Aegis Vanguard and Sabre both have the dual round, orange-glowing engine intakes. That seems to be the distinguishing feature of new Aegis starfighter designs. If I had to pick a distinguishing feature of MISC ships, it would probably be the round, bulbous shapes of their ships' nose/cockpit sections (Freelancer, Starfarer, and Hull series); the Reliant diverges from this because of its flying wing design and rotating cockpit.

The Freelancer's interior had its own style, which was different from the Constellation -- but not very "pretty". I agree that the updated Freelancer's interior looks amazing. It looks too good IMO, and it's too similar to the updated Constellation's interior. I suppose the best thing to do would be for CIG to post pics of the Freelancer and Constellation, ideally with notations, that compare and contrast the styles of each ship's interior.

Posted: 10:59AM

The current plan is to bring all the base model ships into game before going back and doing all the variants. There may be a few exceptions to this as the testing of game systems may require a specific variant be fast tracked, but in general, expect to be using the standard Freelancer for any version of the Freelancer once it becomes flight ready.

Oh.. oh oh oh I so love the new look of the freelancer. They hit the right spot between the old look and the new style.
It looks way more modern, those lines.. so sexy..

I would've loved to have seen more detail on the middle section, I'm curious how things like docking will work.
The original Freelancer had a hatch on top, I take it that it's still there. I wonder how the variants will turn out with the redesign.

@Reavern...I'm not entirely sure you've seen a new truck lately...most are now built rugged but with plastic exteriors and luxury interiors.  IMO these ships aren't pickups-those are Aurora type ships-these are long haul trucks or small freighters, and something tells me that if you've got the cash to pick up ship that can warp time and space, that some creature comforts are chump change in comparison.  

Some issue with the new door over on RSI. If anyone has tried to EVA into the Odd Doors on different ships they will support the new and improved access door.
Nice clean floor. Real door. The Kewl Factor present in the old design was going to be a nightmare to EVA into, so Buh Bye..
Looks sweet. - DRUM out

Freelancer_interior_01.jpg

4 hours ago, FoxChard said:

@Reavern...I'm not entirely sure you've seen a new truck lately...most are now built rugged but with plastic exteriors and luxury interiors.  IMO these ships aren't pickups-those are Aurora type ships-these are long haul trucks or small freighters, and something tells me that if you've got the cash to pick up ship that can warp time and space, that some creature comforts are chump change in comparison.  

Depends, when a tech is introduced these things are true. But after a while tech becomes commonplace and cheap. For example the beggars in Europe all seem to have iphones. Older models they can probably get for basically free from anyone who just bought a new one, but still. Think about that, we live in an aged where frikking beggars are walking around with handheld supercomputers hundreds of times more powerful than what the worlds most powerful nations on earth could collectively muster during the cold war moon race just a generation ago. Beggars who can dial up frikking orbital satellite networks and just ask for directions to the nearest McD, who have access to the entirety of human knowledge and entertainment. Beggars, the lowest economic class of our society. 

Imagine describing this to anyone two generations ago. Telling them that what is basically unthinkably powerful techno-magic became so common and rote that we throw it in the bin for beggars to dig up. 

If beggars can have handheld supercomputers, but not afford a decent livelyhood, then it's not unthinkable that space-truckers can have ships that bends time and space but not afford a ship with a captains chair that doesn't squeak.