WAVE 5 - Confirmed Concept Ships + New Ideas [POLL]

VoA

WAVE 5 - Confirmed Concept Ships + New Ideas [POLL]= See OP for Details  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for 5th Starter Ship to join the Aurora, Mustang, Reliant and Dragonfly:

• Aegis Terrapin
    • Anvil Hurricane
    • None of the Above - I have another suggested Starter Ship Posted in this thread.
    • None of the Above - I think we have enough Starter Ships (let's have a larger ship)
  2. 2. If CIG adds another TNGS - which one would you prefer?

• Shadowmantis (TNGS)
    • Phoenix (TNGS)
    • Rhino (TNGS)
    • Scimitar (TNGS)
    • AX-14 Silverback (TNGS)
    • Brutus (TNGS)
    • A114X Boomslang (TNGS)
  3. 3. Vote on your preference for the Community Created Ship examples below:

• Northstar - Blackjack
    • Anvil Hygeia
    • Markon Wings - Hopper
    • The Osiris
    • Other Ships (one of the ships in Video - see link in OP)
    • None of the Above - Post your Own Ship on this thread below (see OP)

Ben Confirmed again that the New Corvette will happen (its only a file with no design brief - but CIG has a meeting Monday to go over the upcoming ships and it will be brought up in that meeting).  At 1:18 hour into StarCast Ep. 90

+++ at 1:31 hour Ben talks about the Drake Dragonfly

I often use Google for searches like this. For Wave 4 the remaining ships (likely in this order):

• Genesis Star-Liner
  • MISC Endeavor-Class Science Ship
  • Anvil Crucible
  • MISC Hope-Class Medical Ship
  • Espera Prowler (*Ben just mentioned this would be the last of Wave 4 ships)
==========

This INN interview is the first we have heard of a Wave 5 Concept Ship Sale. I'll be moving over the weekend so maybe someone like @GeraldEvans can post the recorded video of the interview for those that missed it (INN mentioned they would post it today).

Thanks for that, @VoA, and good luck moving this weekend! If you're passing through New Brunswick, let me know and I'll buy you a coffee or something.

I often use Google for searches like this.  For Wave 4 the remaining ships (likely in this order):

1. Genesis Star-Liner
  2. MISC Endeavor-Class Science Ship
  3. Anvil Crucible
  4. MISC Hope-Class Medical Ship
  5. Espera Prowler (*Ben just mentioned this would be the last of Wave 4 ships)

Figures. Second to the Vanguard, the Espera Prowler was the Wave 4 Concept Ship I was most interested in buying, and it's last on the list.  :rolleyes:

I don't understand why the Prowler is last, because it's my understanding that CIG designs ships according to the following reasons, in priority order:

1. Ships to be used in Squadron 42;

2. Single-crew ship, viable for Arena Commander;

3. Two-crew ship, viable for Arena Commander;

4. Multi-crew ship, viable for Arena Commander;

5. Ships not viable for Arena Commander.

We know that the Vanguard was rushed to Concept because it was a combat ship that would be used in Squadron 42. The Reliant was also prioritized because it was a single-crew ship and a Starter ship, which could be used in Arena Commander.

However, all of the remaining Wave 4 ships are multi-crew ships, and most of them aren't viable for the Squadron 42 or Arena Commander. Whereas the Prowler could be used in Squadron 42 as a stealth boarding craft. A boarding craft is important for SQ42 because CIG has said that FPS combat could be as much as 40% of the SQ42 campaign. I understand that the Redeemer Gunship fulfills the role of a boarding craft, so CIG is probably using it in SQ42; but why not use the Prowler too?

Who knows? Considering that over half of CIG et al. are working on SQ42, I'm sure they've looked over this issue once or twice. And they are doing the Prowler in Wave 4, so maybe it is a priority, just not over the others due to whatever reasons.

I'm just as psyched for the Prowler as a lot of others, and all I can say is that it sucks being last, but hey, at least it's still coming.

Just means that it better be badass. :D

Edit: Also freaking PUMPED for the new corvette! Must... get... more information...

alyssa-cig 11 points

2 hours ago

Heya! Just wanted to pop in to say the Dragonfly isn't anywhere near concept sale ready. We're currently truly concepting it right now meaning:

• figuring out its style & feel.
  • determining what its role in the PU is.
  • picking the right concept designer to take it on.
  • etc.

Concept sales and concepting a new ship are very two different animals.

We'll keep you posted though! :)

alyssa-cig 11 points

2 hours ago

• figuring out its style & feel.
  • determining what its role in the PU is.
  • picking the right concept designer to take it on.
  • etc.

and after that, its price.

if turn out to be just a fast transport between capital ships, id expect it price to be small.

I expect it to be an ideal boarding craft. Disable a ship and use these to swarm it, grab on to the hold and hack your way in. It's made by Drake. What else would we expect but a nimble pirate support craft.

Not an accurate picture clearly since it's supposed to be straddled like a motorcycle.

wasteland_skiff_by_jinjorz-d66culu.jpg

Since Ben metioned we will see at least Two of TNGS and maybe more...... I would bet on the ones that are polling high but also ones that have current CIG devs that used to be on the TNGS teams:

Also see 16:20m into ATV #49 for another CIG / TNGS dev....

This would place better odds on these ships

Looking forward to the new corvette. Did they say which mfg will do building the ship?

Nope. We know nothing about it besides that it is a thing that will eventually be a thing. I believe that this past Monday was their first concept meeting for Wave 5 ships, so they've probably just started concepting it.

• 4 weeks later...

In this week's Bensday with Batgirl at 17:35m into the video.... 

Ben explains that additional Wave 5 Concept Ships will be produced that will round out the various professions allowing you to get smaller ships in each profession that lead up to the "best" ship for each profession.  Like the "Orion for Mining"... like the "Reclaimer for Salvaging".... etc..

Ben repeats (almost the exact same thing) at 29:20m into this recent interview with Crash Academy -->> http://www.twitch.tv/crash_academy/b/678282080

Edited by VoA

Figures. Second to the Vanguard, the Espera Prowler was the Wave 4 Concept Ship I was most interested in buying, and it's last on the list.  :rolleyes:

I don't understand why the Prowler is last, because it's my understanding that CIG designs ships according to the following reasons, in priority order:

1. Ships to be used in Squadron 42;

2. Single-crew ship, viable for Arena Commander;

3. Two-crew ship, viable for Arena Commander;

4. Multi-crew ship, viable for Arena Commander;

5. Ships not viable for Arena Commander.

We know that the Vanguard was rushed to Concept because it was a combat ship that would be used in Squadron 42. The Reliant was also prioritized because it was a single-crew ship and a Starter ship, which could be used in Arena Commander.

However, all of the remaining Wave 4 ships are multi-crew ships, and most of them aren't viable for the Squadron 42 or Arena Commander. Whereas the Prowler could be used in Squadron 42 as a stealth boarding craft. A boarding craft is important for SQ42 because CIG has said that FPS combat could be as much as 40% of the SQ42 campaign. I understand that the Redeemer Gunship fulfills the role of a boarding craft, so CIG is probably using it in SQ42; but why not use the Prowler too?

From my understanding, it's because the Prowler is a UEE redesign of a Tevarin dropship, and there hasn't been much culture or design work done for the Tevarin yet. They're going to have to do a bunch of lore and art work for the Tevarin to ensure that the ship design is consistent with its origins.

• 2 weeks later...

In this week's Bensday with Batgirl at 11:10m into the video.... 

Ben explains Wave 5 Concept Ships polls will happen after the Anvil Crucible comes out.  He also confirms that Dragonfly will be Wave 5.

• 2 months later...

In this week's Bensday with Batgirl at 5:30m - Ben talks about wanting to "Fill in the Gaps" with smaller (as he has said before) Medium sized ships (for potential upcoming Concept Ship sales).  He mentioned before that we have the Starter specialized ships... a couple (but not many) medium sized ships.... and now with Wave 3 and Wave 4 .... the large specialized ships.... so he thinks (and I agree) we need more medium sized ships to bridge the gap.   Some of his previous ideas he mentioned he would like to see is a Mine-layer and a Hornet Sniper.

We need a small mining vessel. The Orion but without the refinery. Raw ore taken in and deposited into StoreAll containers that get advanced down a rail to be picked up by a cargo ship.

The Aegis Terrapin seems popular.... and maybe they should just rethink it as a medium ship instead of a a starter ship.  I also think they need a medium fuel ship as well (without the refinery of a Starfarer)..... although I don't think they need a medium Salvage ship (since we have a Cutlass Black and Caterpillar as excellent salvage ships).  I also don't think we need a medium science ship since the Aquila and Carrack can also serve modular science roles.   I wouldn't be totally opposed to these medium ship concepts for salvage and science.... just think mining is more important (and perhaps mine layer like Ben wants).   I also think we have passenger ships covered already with the various ships.  Another thing came to mind would be a medium Over-clock ship..... or a medium Farming Ship (where that's all they really focus on).   Medium medical is already covered by Cutlass Red and even Carrack.  SInce the Crucible is the Large Repair ship .... maybe a medium Repair ship. ++ CCin'g this to the RSI thread...

So in Order of preference.... for medium ships wave 5 ships... (excluding Combat and Cargo Haulers since we have plenty of these)

1. Mining
  2. Fuel
  3. Repair
  4. Over-clock
  5. Farming
  6. Salvage
  7. Medical
  8. Science
  9. Passenger

With small - med ships, I don't really think they will need to be fuel or repair ships, due to the fact that it would reduce the needs for both stations and larger versions of the ship, small ships should be able to get to a station before anything bad happens.

that being said mining would probable be one of the better ones that's for sure, maybe another stealth ship would be cool, one that's main role is stealth both just a mod