Starfarer

Wazka

14 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

More importantly, the Starfarer will be in the hangar THIS MONTH!!!  January!  Which means at most three weeks. :D  Oh happy days.  And with the Oculus pre-order coming Wednesday... I'm very excited.  I'll be in my bunk. ;) 

Wait.. waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...

wait..

the oculus is going Preorder tomorrow?

Sweeet!

Im very very curious to see how a ship as big as the Starfarer will handle and operate, its pretty much the first captital-class size ship.. or at least will serve as a testbed on how ships of that scale or bigger will function.

Between Episode 74 and in the three Starfarer Q&A's on the RSI Comm-Links, there was a lot of info passed on. It was said to handle like a graceful brick, with the Star a little better overall than the Star-G. As commissioned to us, it will be the least agile ship within the current fleet of flyable ships.

The larger crew size was also brought up and stated that it was just relating to the number of stations that could be occupied. If you want to whip on this horse solo, you still can. Even the refueling of other ships can be done from the cockpit, just easier and less chance of collision damage if done from the dedicated station.

As usual, it will be done better with dedicated help in the various stations. I suspect at least a crew of two or three to be effective. - DRUM out

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14710-Starfarer-Q-A-Part-1
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14715-Starfarer-Q-A-Part-2
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14716-Starfarer-Q-A-Part-3

Flight ready could be months away though. Im sure when it is, Gemini owners will get a loaner, but i cant imagine they'll get a HR ship until their ship is at that stage (i wish they would), only the Retaliator base owners have had a variant in-hangar while their variant wasnt ready. Not really sure why CIG dont do this for all N/A variants when there is one ready, it does them no harm and people would really appreciate that gesture.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Starfarer is 'hangar ready' in the same sense the Vanguard and Sabre are. So if this is the ship at 90% HR, it could be a while till its finished and then it needs getting to flight-ready status.

On a relevant tangent, does anyone know how the future updates work. I know they're monthly, locked down at the mid-way point and dropped at 3wks if they dont look like they'll be ready, and then that patch is released. Do we know anything about that release phase, lets say its Feb 1st and they've got a build ready, is the intention for that patch to go to PTU at that point, and possibly live shortly after, does it go through a PTU in the final week of the month, do they get it through QA and push it out the door... or do they do whatever they need to, cos its not an exact science etc :D Do we have a rough idea about how those phases happen (PTU/Live), obviously the patch has no hard deadline as such, im just wondering about the intention of this new monthly build process, and whether it could be a couple of weeks in PTU making it mid-Feb till i'd see it (assuming it made the cut).

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

Oh yes. Bring that beautiful behemoth here!

What happened to the upper turret?  Also, it shows stacked / conjoined fuel tanks in the back.

It appears the fuel tanks now resemble figure-8's instead of cylinders. Or it's a graphical glitch.

The Starfarer's dorsal turret has probably been removed because they're currently working on it. Based on the empty footprint where it's mounted, it's nearly the size of the Starfarer's cockpit, which seats 5 with plenty of room to spare -- it's more of a bridge that a cockpit. According to the specs, the Starfarer's dorsal gun turret is Size 5 and mounts 2 x Size4 Rhino laser repeaters. Supposedly the Constellation can also equip dual Rhinos in its gun turrets, which are much smaller (according to the specs the gun turret is Size4). So either the dorsal turret is going to be resized so it's only slightly larger than the Connie's gun turret, or it's going to be huge! Much larger than Size5. I'm guessing size 7 and capable of equipping 2 x Size 5 cannons. In wonder if there will be a quad-cannon mount? Imagine 4 x Badger laser repeaters. B)

Couple of things, firstly seeing as its being brought up - "the Starfarer's dorsal gun turret is Size 5 and mounts 2 x Size4 Rhino laser repeaters"
I dont get ANY of this now, i thought it all made sense when they released the update on how size weapons on turrets and dual-mounts etc all work.
Yet none of it seems to make any sense, not even remotely. It doesnt make sense in terms of what i understood it to be from that doc, nor what others had clarified it to be when i asked a few months back out of curiosity (iirc over Tali turret weapons).
What happened to each weapon size being 1pt (ie size 4 = 4pts), each attachment is 1pt, turret = 1pt etc. So 2x Size 2, dual mount, and turret comes to size 6 (2+2+1+1). Clearly thats not the case, so whats the deal?

I was just trying to get my head around the internals of the Starfarer, and its definitely had a couple of minor changes compared to the leaked Starfarer asset during the summer, but i noticed something that i found a little odd, mainly based on the holiday stream & screenshots.
In the cargo area, it appears to be wider on one side than the other, by a considerable amount.

At 17:50 they pan around in the cargo area, theres a white central area, aligned with the whole room, and then theres 2 white areas of equal size on each side of it (wall panels, seats etc help confirm this). The picture below is from 18:06.
Starfarer_cargo_area.png

Yet you can see on the right hand side, it actually goes slightly wider... AND has a doorway (which, if the leaked asset layout pics are correct, contains stairs to the floor above). The left side has nothing. Even if you ignore the fact that maybe the right side isnt slightly wider in that room (the orange floor suggests otherwise, however minor), its still got a room with stairs in there. It just makes me wonder whats going on there. Im sure we'll find out in about a weeks time, but it got me wondering.

Anyone got any theories? could be an inaccessible area filled with 'ship stuff' we dont need to see, it obviously wont just end there but theres no doorways, which makes it strange IMO.

Its possible, the original artwork of the interior allowed for an area under the floor the level below the bridge/evac pods, however the problem with any 'hidden compartment' is that its not remotely hidden if its there in every single ship. The best solution, which i believe is what they're doing, is fake components. So you'd have a comms system in a rack, which is completely fake and the goodies are hidden behind it. Unfortunately, thats not going to be a very big space, and its also going to come at the expense of actual components (which, unless we have an abundance of space, but limited resources to power more, is likely to be far more important).

However they do 'hidden', its likely to be a little too obvious. Whether thats to other players or even a security search, if its in every single ship etc.

15 hours ago, PaulC2K said:

Couple of things, firstly seeing as its being brought up - "the Starfarer's dorsal gun turret is Size 5 and mounts 2 x Size4 Rhino laser repeaters"
I dont get ANY of this now, i thought it all made sense when they released the update on how size weapons on turrets and dual-mounts etc all work.
Yet none of it seems to make any sense, not even remotely. It doesnt make sense in terms of what i understood it to be from that doc, nor what others had clarified it to be when i asked a few months back out of curiosity (iirc over Tali turret weapons).
What happened to each weapon size being 1pt (ie size 4 = 4pts), each attachment is 1pt, turret = 1pt etc. So 2x Size 2, dual mount, and turret comes to size 6 (2+2+1+1). Clearly thats not the case, so whats the deal?

It's highly likely that the Starfarer's hardpoint specs are inaccurate. They were posted before the Weapon Hardpoint Update, so the size numbers don't add up correctly.

I believe your math is correct: a Size6 manned turret should only be able to equip 2 x Size2 cannons. The problem is that the updated weapon hardpoint size system that CIG created is needlessly convoluted and confusing. It should be simpler: the name of the turret should indicate the number and size of weapons it can mount. For example, a Manned Dual Size2 Turret can equip 2 x Size2 cannons. Simple.

And to simplify it even more, turrets should be made for a specific ship. They're already designed that way; the Constellation's gun turret is different than the Retaliator's turrets or the Cutlass' turret. So there's no point in classifying the Starfarer's dorsal turret as "Size6" and it fits into a Size6 hardpoint. No, it's a Starfarer turret and it fits into the Starfarer's dorsal turret slot. Simple.

But assuming CIG is sticking to their updated weapon hardpoint system, I think that means the Starfarer's dorsal turret will end up being much larger than Size6; because 2 x Size2 cannons is inadequate protection for the Starfarer. According to the existing specs, the Starfarer is supposed to equip dual Rhino laser repeaters, which are Size4. That should mean the turret is at least size 10. That would make it the largest turret seen so far. I suppose that doesn't rule it out as a possibility, but again, it's confusing -- especially since dual-mount turrets can only have even numbers (Size 4, Size 6, Size 10, etc).

So I really hope CIG devises an improved weapon hardpoint and turret classification system that is easier to understand.

Thanks, yeah i guess that makes more sense. So my understanding was correct, its just that all the stuff i was using to try and understand it didnt match what various people have been saying about various ships weapons, and its been far too frequent and unchallenged to be simple misunderstanding etc.
I do wish that the stats were attempted to be kept somewhat accurate. Everything is up in the air for balance in the future anyway, but it'd be nice to know the 'best guess' sort of stats, it cant be worse than leaving completely wrong stats. Oh well. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Thats going to be quite the turret then. I'd been looking at it in the 3D model viewer app and thinking thats got to be a huge gun, good to know it will be :D

Apparently despite it being hours later, and completely separate, the forum insists on merging (at what benefit exactly? 1 less post registered?? its still applying the same impact on the forum, database... everything)

As mentioned earlier, I was trying to get my head around the inside of the ship, and figured it might be easier to do a floorplan. Its based primarily on the Starfarer video by Teller via the leaked assets, and then ive tried to adjust that for things i can see contradict that from more recent data.
Starfarer_floor_plan.png

Theres a few things which im uncertain about, largely the access to each floor. You can flick through the layout as it was at the time, and see what is probably is, i just had issues trying to get it to mesh and not be completely out of proportion (there seems to be so many little passages for odd reasons). Im also not sure if the 'Engine Room' is what ive labelled as the thruster, the images do look similar but in tellers walkthrough i didnt see access to the room (only a window where you can see the thruster).

Its just something to pass the time and to get my head around things, rather than it being intended to be an accurate floor plan, its also pretty much useless as we'll likely see walkthroughs from 2.2 PTU within a couple of weeks.

Here's a link to the layout at the time:

I've come to the conclusion that the inconsistencies in the footage shown in the Holiday Livestream were most likely just a case of that being the state it was in at the time, rather than it being a meaningful representation of the finish product (you know what i mean), that there IS a door and stairs on the opposite side of the cargo bay, it just hadnt been mirrored and finished. I could be wrong, but i think it seems more likely to be the case that they were working on 1 side and simply hadnt replicated it. It might not be identical, but im sure there will be a door and obviously something behind it.

I hadnt got around to figuring out where some of the less obvious shots were taken from, in Fridays vault images (gallery can be found a few posts up), but it wasnt hard to realise they were pretty much the same spot.
Images 11, 12 & 13 are the same spot from 3 different angles on the 3rd floor (shape, routes etc match leaked assets floor plan).
#12 shows an unfinished room which presumably goes down to the 2nd floor. The leaked asset had stairs here joining the raised walkway around the cargo area, it seems more likely to be ladders though, unless the livestream was missing this too (seems pretty unlikely).
#13 shows the unfinished room with ladders up to the 4th floor, where stairs used to be.
Image #10 seems to be looking through a doorway into the engine room (3rd floor), if you went straight on from image #12 this is where you'd end up, with the left passage going even further toward the very back of the ship, over the fuel containers.

If there's a shift to ladders, that'd be a shame, stairs would be much faster and more fluid, but obviously take up far more space. Theres no known lift access between floors, which with a combination of ladders means transporting medium-large objects is a little problematic if you've got to climb a ladder and carry the item, so hopefully its just secondary stairs (certainly the case with the leaked assets) and there is always stairway access to each floor, it just might not be the shortest route.

i

Apparently despite it being hours later, and completely separate, the forum insists on merging (at what benefit exactly? 1 less post registered?? its still applying the same impact on the forum, database... everything)

Please post in this thread if you feel something is wrong in these forums or broken in regards to bugs or functionality.https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/17881-board-software-update-incoming/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk