Starfarer

Wazka

6 hours ago, Yekko said:

There is one major concern though ...
The elevator to EVA room, do they want the whole EVA room to be sealed and despressurised? I mean they should put doors at the elevator exit or entry points. Like that crew can easy come help someone outside on the gangway. 

Nice screens @VoA as usual! :)

I dont see the problem really, a room has to depressurise somewhere, and the EVA room itself might as well be that room, it'd be easier than having an external room and this fits within existing geometry, which i can understand why that'd appeal, and it seems much easier to seal the whole EVA room than an area between the suit room, lift and outside. One advantage would be multiple people being able to come in & out of the EVA room to suit up, and go elsewhere to be pressurised/depressurised etc without impacting that room itself, but i dont know. One issue - if someone is outside and about to enter the lift, and another person is inside the EVA room and about to get a suit, what happens when the guy outside wants to enter... surely it starts depressurising and the chap inside, his day ahead isnt looking so great. Communication should be important, and maybe survival without a suit is possible for say 60sec? (ive no idea) making it life threatening but not lethal. Either does sound like health & safety is more relaxed in the 30th century.

3 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

Ben will have something to answer for since he has come out and directly said that it's still in there. Maybe when they do all the animations.

Yeah, i thought the same. I desperately want one in the ship, and i'd hope they'd put it back in, somewhere, in the future. But if they dont, i dont want this to be the latest little thing blown out of proportion. I get people being unhappy feeling like their ship is lacking firepower, shields, stuff fundamental to its purpose. I cant get angry about them wanting to put a fish tank in there, changing the room significantly (for the worse, IMO, its a big room with just a desk - that curved desk and multiple screens looked fantastic, and the tank was the icing on the cake) and it being gone. In terms of placement, it didnt make sense putting it onto an external wall, stick more armor plating there, k thx bye. Thats why i hoped they'd moved it to the mess hall, its more communal and calming, its a much better fit IMO, and placing it between the walls to both gives the captain and crew the best of both worlds. Still, it was WIP and for unknown reasons seems to be dropped. When i asked Corentin about it, it definitely wasnt explained like its not ready, but like its gone, and ship customisation might be the solution. That seems reasonable to state, i hope.

1 hour ago, Yekko said:

Yea! There is a ton of things that is missing! indeed I had the same thought about: where is the fishtank!

Well it is in PTU for something, still need to polish it all out. But I'm still very very concerned on the time they take to develop the ships... I mean ... look at how many more ships they need to make, very concerning. Even if at some point they seem to have speed things up. MISC still has HULL A,B,C,D and the huge E.

But frankly I think the 4th floor is actually very unfinished. The fidelity is not as high as the other floors. So I guess we might see some detail refining there?

The Hull series doesnt concern me too much, they're pretty much duplicates of each other, and i doubt they'll be too different between C upwards, just more of everything rather than extra new stuff.
But the main reason for quoting, the 4th floor. I kinda agree. It feels like it hasnt had its textures applied. I like that its a break from the 95% dark greys and 5% orange, but that whole area feels like its got its form, but not its final lick of paint. They never mentioned it in the tour (we didnt ask, i almost did though, but this was about 3hr15min into a 1h30-2h00 tour!! :D), nor was it mentioned in the livestream,  but i suspect the final textures are coming, we've already seen that room with a warm custard yellow desk etc and i just dont believe they've gone with greyscale. That said, the crew quarters are identical to what we'd seen before, greys & whites. Im hopeful for a more vibrant scheme, like we've seen below

CpCMRAi.jpg

Starfarer%20-%20Captains%20Quarters%2003

An easy solution for the pressurization in the EVA room is that as the person drops down to the gangway, a large plug folds down from the side wall (the wider wall) and then the room can repressurize above.  That way the pressure keeps the plug in place and the room safe for someone to enter.

The problem is what if there is a problem with refueling and someone else needs to go out? The room is rendered inaccessible and the second suit useless.

BTW, where is the discrete storage?

34 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

An easy solution for the pressurization in the EVA room is that as the person drops down to the gangway, a large plug folds down from the side wall (the wider wall) and then the room can repressurize above.  That way the pressure keeps the plug in place and the room safe for someone to enter.

The problem is what if there is a problem with refueling and someone else needs to go out? The room is rendered inaccessible and the second suit useless.

BTW, where is the discrete storage?

The room would just switch back n forth, between pressurised and depressurised, just like the rooms on Port Olisar, its always accessible to one side, and only needs to change state if the other side wants access. If someone goes out, despressurise, let them down the lift, bring it back up and then seal. It could automatically re-pressurise at that point, or it could stay depressurised, but if it needs to swap due to someone needing to come in, i'd have thought that would be perfectly normal. or am i misunderstanding something.

I'll paste the reply from RSI on the discrete storage, for any others wondering...

As for the discrete storage, i believe it was said that there wouldnt be 'discrete storage' built into ships, because its not discrete if its built into every ship and called 'discrete storage', might as well give directions inside the map :D
The latest idea is to have mock systems, so you'd buy a dummy comms device that looks identical to the real thing, and its just a box with the fascia, maybe some semi-convincing blinking lights etc, and a storage space behind it. Possibly more advanced ones might have shielding to prevent them being scanned, but at the loss of storage capacity - but not sure if im drawing from official statements or community chatter for that last bit.

It does kinda beg the question of how much stuff we can fit into a ship, system wise, if theres reasonable space to place dummy units with hidden compartments. Presumably space is somewhat plentiful, but maybe things like powerplants are more limiting and it just isnt practical to fill every slot with gear because of the implications to power and assisting components to run it all.

Wow, what an exciting ship.  My wife asked me why don't I melt everything and get one, and honestly its a bit overwhelming. So much room!  The level of detail is fantastic.  I'm excited to see what panels will actually be usable in the final version.

My only confusion is the inconsistency with stairs and elevators.  And hopefully someone can help me understand why they chose what they did.

1st floor to 2nd floor:  Just stairs.

2nd-3rd: Stairs, Elevators, and a ladder(I think).

3rd to 4th: Just Ladders and elevators.

Does it feel odd there is no consistency of one type that crosses all levels?  Like a central ladder shaft 1-4?   And the methods from 3rd to 4th seem extra redundant, but there is no redundancy in floors 1st to 2nd.

Not a complaint, just confusing.

Edit:  Does the top turret have a thruster on the back?

1 hour ago, GRIZZ said:

Wow, what an exciting ship.  My wife asked me why don't I melt everything and get one, and honestly its a bit overwhelming. So much room!  The level of detail is fantastic.  I'm excited to see what panels will actually be usable in the final version.

My only confusion is the inconsistency with stairs and elevators.  And hopefully someone can help me understand why they chose what they did.

1st floor to 2nd floor:  Just stairs.

2nd-3rd: Stairs, Elevators, and a ladder(I think).

3rd to 4th: Just Ladders and elevators.

Does it feel odd there is no consistency of one type that crosses all levels?  Like a central ladder shaft 1-4?   And the methods from 3rd to 4th seem extra redundant, but there is no redundancy in floors 1st to 2nd.

Not a complaint, just confusing.

Edit:  Does the top turret have a thruster on the back?

My guess is that most people will use the "Maintenance" ladders xD because they are close to each other and is a very fast way to climb from F2 to F4.

As for the inconsistency, I think they wanted to vary it... in order to avoid that it looks like an appartement, where you just go up with stairs, like we will probably see in the bigger cap ships like the Bengal. 
Also I think this is actually a good thing as if you get boarded, the other team can be delayed or pinned down to a certain area... for example, you get boarded, you destroy the powerplant and engines or shut them off and (if possible, code the access); and they can't hack it for example, as they lack a tech guy. You could be able to have them all pinned down at the 3 access as they are ladders and the pirates or boarders cannot hold any weapons (they could throw grenades but might breach the hull).

So The scenario would be that all of the crew might be bunkered on F4 all with their EVA suits, waiting on the arrival of a helping party.

Chard's preference?

Navy-style ladder-stairs.  Lots of ships use these because they're easier to climb than ladders, don't take up as much space as stairs, and allow you to slide down the rails really fast in an emergency.  I agree with Yekko-it was probably done for fun purposes.  Some more logical answers could include: security.  All access points to the ship are on the first floor.  A ladder is difficult to climb but could be equally difficult to defend.  Stairs, however will grant a height advantage and cover bonuses.  You don't need redundancy for this accessway because if the stairs were damaged-that half of the ship would probably be rendered useless anyways (two large spaces with no interior partitions make it likely the whole floor would vent out).  Nothing mission critical besides the *docking collar is down there anyways.

I dont think thats worded quite correctly, Donut. If you CCU it, you'd get the starfarer melt value + CCU value, so a $195 Starfarer + CCU to Orion ($25) would typically give you $220 melt value, and not $325 which is kinda what you're wording suggests. You'd basically own a $220 Orion, with the option of a $25 CCU to a Carrack etc. It'd effectively be 'worth' $300 to use towards something else, but still only melts to $225 etc, so you couldnt buy say a Vanguard and have $50 spare (although, if we get downgrades...).

Just incase people read that and think it'd have a $325 melt value.

I really wish CIG wouldnt mess about with these things though. I mean, the ship has been to these exact specs for about 2 years now, they've been selling it at $195 during that time, and now it seems as though they're about to mess about with these things. I just wish we could have 1 price and benefits for buying it at different stages like UEC or just the poster & model. I want to encourage people to back the game, but absolutely nothing they do is straight forward, theres always a dozen complications to explaining something.
If it was $225 then i could understand, but $300 is more than 50% more. Its more than i paid for mine on the greymarket because i misunderstood their stupid limited sales nonsense and read so many conflicting threads and presumably went with the one that was actually talking about ships like the Scythe & Idris, and believed the GM was the only option available to me. Cos as i said, nothing is simple, even when you make an effort to find the information.

54 minutes ago, PaulC2K said:

I dont think thats worded quite correctly, Donut. If you CCU it, you'd get the starfarer melt value + CCU value, so a $195 Starfarer + CCU to Orion ($25) would typically give you $220 melt value, and not $325 which is kinda what you're wording suggests. You'd basically own a $220 Orion, with the option of a $25 CCU to a Carrack etc. It'd effectively be 'worth' $300 to use towards something else, but still only melts to $225 etc, so you couldnt buy say a Vanguard and have $50 spare (although, if we get downgrades...).

Just incase people read that and think it'd have a $325 melt value.

I really wish CIG wouldnt mess about with these things though. I mean, the ship has been to these exact specs for about 2 years now, they've been selling it at $195 during that time, and now it seems as though they're about to mess about with these things. I just wish we could have 1 price and benefits for buying it at different stages like UEC or just the poster & model. I want to encourage people to back the game, but absolutely nothing they do is straight forward, theres always a dozen complications to explaining something.
If it was $225 then i could understand, but $300 is more than 50% more. Its more than i paid for mine on the greymarket because i misunderstood their stupid limited sales nonsense and read so many conflicting threads and presumably went with the one that was actually talking about ships like the Scythe & Idris, and believed the GM was the only option available to me. Cos as i said, nothing is simple, even when you make an effort to find the information.

From the recent things they've said on ATV, the walkthroughs, etc. the original $195 ship was probably at least 25% smaller.  As it stands, the starfarer is by far the best value for the size and functionality.  Adjusting the price may compensate for the ship having remained low this whole time.  For older backers, we've had a year or three to purchase one at this point-they're probably just prepping to 'fix' it to make it more relative to what you're getting.  I'm kind of surprised that prices have stayed constant this long on their site.

Or its a typo.  Wouldn't have been the first time, lol.

Kinda doubt its a typo, as $200 seems unlikely, and beyond that its quite the typo.

Might be worth buying a Caterpillar or a CCU at the next opportunity, given thats supposedly been given a significant boost, maybe that'll be the next ship getting a huge price bump. Its stupid, but if CIG are going to play silly beggar with pricing, people are going to try and take advantage of that, myself included. I plan to melt a handful of ships to get an Orion in the future, so if i can turn a $245 Cat into a $300 valued Cat and then CCU it, im not above saving myself $55 and using their silly games to my advantage too.

I just wish we could have a Star Citizen which sold SC+SQ42 as 1 package, had ships that had 1 price, had alpha/beta access on all packages, didnt need module passes, knew what it wanted to do with LTI etc etc instead of constantly swapping and changing its stance on everything and expects the community to keep up.
None of those impacted me, but its still needless complications we've been through, and theres no constants anywhere in the game. It'll be set underwater in the 10th century at this rate :D

1 hour ago, Rellim said:

Ben announced it was gonna get more expensive because initially it simply wasn't planned to be this big.

They gave the specs for how much fuel it would hold. They wanted it to be 90m and it ended up somewhere close to there. Honestly, they planned for it to be in the ballpark for where it ended up being size wise. Raising the price by over 100$ is just a cheap move because they know people will want the first 'big' ship.

they should boost it to 250. That would be fair.