MISC Reliant - Mini Hauler & Variants

VoA

1 minute ago, Metternich70 said:

It's not clear for me what's the point of having two beds and a quarter in a ship that has no jump drive unit. 

Responded to this in a similar post on the 315P thread on RSI Forums - see below...

the role description of the Reliant Sen states: "The Reliant Sen is a versatile mobile science platform; outfitted with long range capabilities to take you further, longer, and an advanced sensor suite..."

i think it will come with long distance engines just like the 315p does compared to its other variants. The missing Jumpengine remains to be seen.. i wouldn´t count on the stats page as always

Long Range capabilities doesn't mean Jump Capability nor multi-Jump range.... it just means you can fly around longer and further within a system. As mentioned before the Reliant Sen is a Science Platform - not a Jump Point explorer. Its vertical flying shape would also make it much more difficult to navigate (without hitting the walls of the Worm Hole) small Jump Points. It is more of a smaller version of an Endeavor.... for "Science" research (studying space anomalies or stellar research)........ not mapping... like the Carrack or 315p.

22 hours ago, PixelChaos said:

i wonder if we will be able to evantualy buy a different ball turret that can take 2 guns like in some of the other reliant pics, so we can have a tana varient with 6 guns

I think 6 guns would push the Reliant Tana's power plant to the limit. The Tana has a high-yield power plant, but it's still only Size2, which is the same as an Aurora. A Super Hornet has a Size4 Max power plant, is equipped with an Overdrive Size3, and even it has trouble with 6 laser cannons.

In addition to its extra weapon hardpoints, the Tana has an the extra shield generator, so it's possible the Tana could have serious power problems.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/307809

Posted: 9:22PM

Here are the first few answers. Some of the questions are hitting some repeats, so please do look over what others have asked and what has been answered when prepping your own questions. 

[Researcher/Sen] -question: Is this intended to be a baby endeavor (science module) or baby Carrack (mapping pioneer)? And can you elaborate more on both of those game mechanics?
It’d work more like a mini Endeavor. The core mechanics on how this will work are still being fleshed out, but think more along the lines of analyzing something that was found out in space. In another thread, I mentioned how it should pair well with something like a 315p, with the 315p finding ‘things’ to be researched, then a Sen doing more active research of that ‘thing’.

[MAKO] - I am curious about how the News Van Variant will work. I know this is going to give players the capability to capture events in game as they happen. How is this going to differ from or enhance A streamer who just streams their game play anyway with 3rd party software. What is the general idea for game play for those of us who do not stream?
The News Van is very much a two-fold aspect for how we’re treating it. In part, some of the flavor/lore aspects are going to be feeding into NPC’s that will exist in the universe, and giving them a clear reference ship for a specific activity. For players actively using it to stream as reporters themselves, we also want to make sure the remote-camera system provides as clean and expansive a view as possible of the action. In terms of what players will have access to, a big aspect of the Mako will be serving as target-identification for participants in a fight.

[Tana] - question : Do the remote gun turrets come with a camera, so if the remote turrets are slaved to the copilot seat then he will have some kind of gun display (a screen like the Apache helicopter)
Yes, we’re definitely looking to have a camera/viewport option on these, though it wouldn’t be a PIP-display. The general idea with a remote gunner station would be to switch to an alternate full-screen display, but we definitely want players to leverage the massive coverage angles the wingtips provide.

(All) - Will Reliants have a jumpdrive.
The current design for any Starter ships, including the Reliant, would be to start them with just a Quantum Drive installed. This drive can absolutely be upgraded with an attachment into a fully capable Jump Drive. It won’t be a massive time-sink or expenditure, but for Starter Ships, it will be one of the first equipment-hurdles you’ll be overcoming in the full universe.

(Tana) - Will you be able to fit 2 size 1 guns on each wingtip.
Yes, we’re currently looking at 3 main mount-styles to offer for the Wingtips on the Reliant, though not all will be available immediately when the ship is flight-ready. Either Wingtip of any Reliant would be capable of mounting a singled, fixed S3, a gimbaled S2, or a twin-link S1 to their ship.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6138945/#Comment_6138945

Posted: 9:16AM

Alright, here's a few more answers. There's going to be 2 more updates after this one, one tomorrow the 23rd, and a final batch of answers on Jan 5th while we prep the recap post. Please remember to use the [Variant] - Question format for any questions you may have.

[ALL] Regarding wing-tip weapons, is it possible to control these as the pilot as well when flying solo, or is a gunner required?
Yes, the pilot would be able to take control of the weapons, but would have a more constricted range of motion when using them compared to the full range the mounts can use when being remote operated. You won’t want to be blind-firing to the side when you could accidentally hit your own engines, but you’ll definitely have a solid coverage area with the frontal range of motion.

[Sen] - Will the Sen be suitable for early combat missions? Will it have enough diversity to be suitable as a starter ship?
Just with basic component and hardpoint options, any of the Reliant variants should be able to handle some early combat, but outside of the Tana, you’re probably not going to want to go picking fights. For something like the Sen, you may need to remove the wingtip sensor package and replace it with another weapon if you’re needing more firepower. 

[Sen / Mako] Will the some of the equipment between the news van and the researcher be interchangeable, giving players a small taste of the other occupation to see if it is something they wish to go into?
Yes, both ships feature a fairly potent avionics computer which assists with their specific functions, along with the wing-tip utility gear each variant includes. Many of these parts will be interchangeable between each ship to allow for people to experiment with their loadouts. You won’t be able to have it all at once in any one ship, but you’ll definitely have options.

[KORE] - Will it come with a jump drive and a pair of bunks equipped? Or at least with a small jump drive capable of only 2 or 3 jumps before recharge at a cost?
No, the Kore would not be coming with any beds or jump drive installed. The full rear bay is used for cargo hauling on the Kore, with no viable space left for beds. Other variants have those features, but directly sacrifice their cargo space to accommodate them. Regarding the jump drive, that will be an upgrade you’ll need to seek out in-game.

[MAKO] - How will the 'target-identification' mechanic work in concert with the AWACS-type search-functions of, say, the Hornet Tracker, and/or the 'Command & Control Package's which we're expecting to have on possibly Constellations, Retaliators, and certainly Idris' and cap-ships?
So while a lot of the core gameplay is still being sorted out for this, at a high-level, it should layer out between the ships and functions. A battle happens, and some Mako’s get good coverage, managing clear target ID for all the participant ships/pilots. Now in the aftermath, one of the pilots attacked wants to place a bounty, and those Mako’s help support that claim by showing the target of the bounty instigated a fight. Later, that bounty is picked up by a small group who send their Tracker ahead to start the hunt.

Typical, just bought back 2 lti reliants and now I see I totally missed the lack of jumpdrives. Well,well no worries I will just ccu them both into cutlasses baby please :P

Cutlass also has a whole other level of utility since it's a capable dogfighter also. The move to actually have getting a jumpdrive as an "equipment hurdle" as it's phrased is a little lame I think.

2 hours ago, H8 Mile Fisher said:

Ok so pretty much all starter ships only have a quantum and you work to upgrade it to a jump. That's reasonable I suppose

This is the way it should be according to the LORE - small ships are not to meant to be system to system ships (most of them).... they are meant to be in-system ships.  They are also setting up a system to ferry ships from system to system...

Per a post I did on the RSI forums....

1. Mustang Beta and Delta get jump drives stock.
Aurora CL and LX get jump drives stock.

What Reliant gets a stock jump drive? I would assume Sen and Tana?

[SEN] - Does it come with jump drive equipped?

Per Matt Sherman's (CIG) post

(All) - Will Reliants have a jumpdrive.
The current design for any Starter ships, including the Reliant, would be to start them with just a Quantum Drive installed. This drive can absolutely be upgraded with an attachment into a fully capable Jump Drive. It won’t be a massive time-sink or expenditure, but for Starter Ships, it will be one of the first equipment-hurdles you’ll be overcoming in the full universe.

+++ Great conversation on .... this thread -->> [Researcher] Reliant Sen - Researcher No Jump Drive fitted?

Now the conversation is getting good and back to reason. As you know CIG defaulted back to their lore of small ships needing transport from system to system which is a good thing adding more realism to the Verse.

However you are still being too fickle in your perception that there is this need to Jump from system to system all the time and you don't realize how big space is .... and how many missions and things to do per system. Your Public Transportation analysis is way off. It is not like taking a public bus from one side of town to another. It isn't even like taking a train to the next town. +++FYI most people stay in ONE metropolitan area most of their lives (because generally people are not fickle and find plenty to do in their home area).

Space is more like CROSSING AN OCEAN (going from system to system).... and you don't want to cross an ocean in a dinghy (small ship). You can run up and down the coast but you need transportation to cross the Ocean. Make sense? 

I am very happy that CIG defaults to realism generally and sticks with the development of the Lore.

638919-Large.jpg

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

^^^^ This for Hull ships and other Transports..... = "Ferrying" other ships ....

04iran-articleLarge.jpg
^^^^ This is like Bengal, Pegasus, Idris, etc... a Carrier that can launch and land ships in combat to refuel / re-arm / etc.... This is different than simply hauling via a "Ferry"...

====== per this ATV.......

oBgH1Is.png

I like the new distinction between a quantum drive and a jump drive. It makes sense that Starter ships are factory-built for intra-system travel, and can be upgraded with jump drives; whereas larger ships come equipped with jump drives.

CIG must have been planning this for a long time, because in the Ship Specs page, certain ships included a jump drive in their Additional Equipment category, which perplexed some people, because CIG gave us the impression that all ships (larger than a snubfighter) came equipped with jump drives. For example, the LX is the only Aurora model that comes equipped with a jump drive. The other Aurora models only have quantum drives.

I think it's good that certain ships start with only a quantum drive, and players will have to upgrade to a jump drive. This makes sense from both a lore and gameplay perspective. The first time a new player takes their Aurora or Mustang or Reliant out of their hangar, they shouldn't jump to another star system. They should stay in their starter system, close to their hangar, and learn the ropes of the game, just like MMORPGs having starting zones for low level players.

In the Crusader PU map currently available, there's at least an hour or two of gameplay to be experienced. Crusader is just one planet in the Stanton star system. There are 3 other colonized worlds in Stanton. Imagine how much more there will be when the whole star system is unlocked. And when the full "mission" system is introduced. There's going to be plenty to do in the starter system. So players shouldn't need a jump drive for the early stages of the game. :)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6141276/#Comment_6141276

Posted: 3:20PM
Edited: 3:25PM by ghallman_cig

are shore that is the right person? that does not look like the right person?

EDIT: my mistake. he doesn't frequent the site but i'll try...
Despite looking cool the wings won't fold at all. If we let them fold it would drastically change the maneuvering thruster placement which causes all kinds of problems. No bueno
(vertical flying is still the staple of this shape though)

Posted: 3:28PM

Sorry for the slow response everyone. The reliant is coming along well and we can't wait to get it into the fans hands! On the art side we're wrapping up damage and getting to the LODs

How long does a ship usually take to get completed? From inception to being released to the masses.
Completion of a ship is a very large process so I can't quite answer that as it varies vastly depending on the resources we can assign to it and the size / role of the ship. I can say however that we have been rapidly improving and refining our ship pipeline. Looking back at the start of 2015 to now, it's pretty awesome to see the difference. 

If you take a look at the production time of the new Constellation which had a relatively solid resource assignment it could give a little insight into how long it takes for a ship of that size ;)

The most important question, does the base model have a toilet? 

(Question inspired by @BearSquish )

Unfortunately no toilet :( But what you do in your cargo bay is up to you man

dont git your hopes up 

i would be surprised if we even get new pics of the base reliant by the new year.

to my under standing the "vortex color pass" is done before they ad the details then texturing then color then then do every thing over again for whats under the panels not to mention there is all the steps that need to be done for animating,
+ @ShadowedPrime

The vertex color pass is actually one of the last art phases that the ship will go through and crosses over into the tech setup. It's directly related to the damage effects for the exterior of the ship. 

1 hour ago, Gremlich said:

not based on its size - I personally don't see it as a between solar systems hauler - too small. Imagine it as the SC bicycle courier of ships.

Making a jump or two with an Aurora CL/Reliant wouldn't be a huge deal, and that's likely what they'll end up being used for. They're supposed to be the ship that traders can start with and actually make a decent profit on deliveries or run some small-time hauling missions. They won't have a ton of range, but maybe going 2-3 systems out before needing to refuel is where they'll end up.

Just now, LeroyJenkins said:

Making a jump or two with an Aurora CL/Reliant wouldn't be a huge deal, and that's likely what they'll end up being used for. They're supposed to be the ship that traders can start with and actually make a decent profit on deliveries or run some small-time hauling missions. They won't have a ton of range, but maybe going 2-3 systems out before needing to refuel is where they'll end up.

Small ships in general are not suppose to be able to Jump from system to system  - most are designed to be in-system ships.   You can add Jump Engines to any ship but a Sub fighter but in many cases you don't want to.... = You don't want to slow your racer down, reduce your dog-fighter maneuverability, etc....   Small ships are meant to be Transported from system to system as needed and this has been part of the lore since the Hull Series came out....

oBgH1Is.png

2 minutes ago, VoA said:

Small ships in general are not suppose to be able to Jump from system to system  - most are designed to be in-system ships.   You can add Jump Engines to any ship but a Sub fighter but in many cases you don't want to.... = You don't want to slow your racer down, reduce your dog-fighter maneuverability, etc....   Small ships are meant to be Transported from system to system as needed and this has been part of the lore since the Hull Series came out....

I don't see how a jump engine would be useless to someone that enjoys their small explorer and doesn't want to expend time or UEC on ferrying their ship to different systems. They can just move to an adjacent system or explore the jump point they just found to see where it goes. As for small haulers, I still don't see a problem with having the jump drive to move goods to an adjacent system. Probably not necessary, as upgrading to a Freelancer or Hull A/B is likely a better option for dedicated haulers. But still possible and useful.

You're going to want a jump-engine, I would doubt that they would make significant penalties for smaller ships with a jump drive with regards to manueverability. Your racer, you won't want or need a drive unit on, but a strike craft? A small trader like the reliant? Absolutely. If there is a penalty, it should apply to range increases on the drive and not the drive being installed- so your ship is basically the same with the drive on it and a 1 jump capability, but adding the extra fuel for a sexond or third jump starts to impact the ship. A one jump range is fine if refueling is as easy as it is in 2.0 for traders, and 1-2 jumps would be fine for most other ships as well, so CIG shouldnt penalize it too much.

14 hours ago, LeroyJenkins said:

I don't see how a jump engine would be useless to someone that enjoys their small explorer and doesn't want to expend time or UEC on ferrying their ship to different systems. They can just move to an adjacent system or explore the jump point they just found to see where it goes. As for small haulers, I still don't see a problem with having the jump drive to move goods to an adjacent system. Probably not necessary, as upgrading to a Freelancer or Hull A/B is likely a better option for dedicated haulers. But still possible and useful.

Some small ships will come stock with a Jump Engine because they need it for their profession / role = like a Herald doing Info Running.  A Hull A would likely come Stock with a Jump Engine.   As we know though - most small ships won't come with a Jump Engine... and min/maxers will generally not want one especially given how large the systems are and how much there will be able to do within a system with missions, etc...   The problem is when players lobby CIG to add a Jump Engine as stock equipment onto ships where it makes no sense like the Reliant SEN (Science Ship).   CIG already made it clear that a Jump Point Navigator / Mapper - Exploration ship........ (like a Carrack)..... is completely different than a Science / Research ship (like an Endeavor).   The Endeavor people lobbied CIG for the Endeavor to be the Ultimate Exploration ship and CIG corrected them by defining Science as an in-System profession where you study stellar phenomena, do experiments, etc....  and that is a completely different profession than a Jump Point Navigator / Mapper like the Carrack.   Same thing recently panned out with the Reliant Sen (Science).... vs a 315p (Jump Point Navigator / mapper).   CIG again clarified it and thus the Reliant Sen doesn't come with a Jump Engine as stock.  Min/Maxers will also not likely want to add one to the ship since it will take up space, draw more power, affect CPU demand, emit Electro Magnetic radiation, etc..... and would rather - on the rare occasion (for people that realize they don't have to be fickle) switch to a different system with their small ship - and just hire transport.   If you want to be able to operating extended missions in many different systems it will make more sense to just switch to another ship designed more for that.

11 hours ago, Karmaslap said:

You're going to want a jump-engine, I would doubt that they would make significant penalties for smaller ships with a jump drive with regards to manueverability. Your racer, you won't want or need a drive unit on, but a strike craft? A small trader like the reliant? Absolutely. If there is a penalty, it should apply to range increases on the drive and not the drive being installed- so your ship is basically the same with the drive on it and a 1 jump capability, but adding the extra fuel for a sexond or third jump starts to impact the ship. A one jump range is fine if refueling is as easy as it is in 2.0 for traders, and 1-2 jumps would be fine for most other ships as well, so CIG shouldnt penalize it too much.

I agree there won't significant penalties for adding a Jump Engine to a small ship..... but penalties will be there non-the-less.... and it will be enough for min/maxers to not want to add a Jump Engine to their small ships (and would rather just upgrade to a different ship more designed for operating from system to system).  There will be a reason why the LORE was developed for small ship to be ferried from system to system.   If there were no penalties then the LORE wouldn't exist and every ship in Star Citizen would be manufactured with a Jump Engine.

6 hours ago, VoA said:

I agree there won't significant penalties for adding a Jump Engine to a small ship..... but penalties will be there non-the-less.... and it will be enough for min/maxers to not want to add a Jump Engine to their small ships (and would rather just upgrade to a different ship more designed for operating from system to system).  There will be a reason why the LORE was developed for small ship to be ferried from system to system.   If there were no penalties then the LORE wouldn't exist and every ship in Star Citizen would be manufactured with a Jump Engine.

Maybe some really hardcore people won't want to add a drive, but I think the vast, vast majority will. It's like a mid-step up upgrade to get before you have enough uec to to actually get a better ship- if you're a trader/explorer. If you are a merc/something of the like, you'll want a jump drive to migrate around for jobs. CIG is making too many systems and jump points available to do anything to hinder free movement. So yeah, maybe someone wants their dogfighter to be ever so slightly better, but considering the trouble it would take to go hire someone to ferry their ship every single time they jump, I wouldn't see any player not wanting to mount a jump drive. CIG isnt letting us magically have ships appear in another system, right? If our beloved auroras are one system and we're a few systems away, or we plan to move a few systems away, we can set it up to have someone transport them all so we don't have to fly the whole flotilla. That's how I viewed the transport concept. Almost every player is going to want a jump drive. It's too restrictive to not have one.