Uh Oh - EVE: Valkyrie

Jamie

After watching multiple Star Citizen videos I found this video.

I don't know what to think, are they trying to beat Robert to the punch? I heard owning and Oculus Rift is a requirement. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNQEiJUthc

What are your thoughts?

CCP suck as a company. Sometimes it's not about the game but about the people behind the game.

I was a long term multiple accounts eve player for many years, but slowly bit by bit CCP changed the game for the worse, ignored it's core fans, became really money grubby and started focusing on a console game for ps3 instead of focusing on it's original fan base. Because of their really bad mistakes, instead of CCP leadership taking responsibility for their poor choices, they fired 20% of CCP staff in the company.

I would not touch another CCP product with a ten foot barge pole. Horrible company.

I left EVE and CCP a long time ago, would not support them again.

EvE Valkyrie will seem like a hollow shell when sat next to Star Citizen when it's fully complete.

To answer your question, yes this is CCP quick cheap way of trying to get ahead of games coming out like Star Citizen, Elite and others in the Space Game Genre that threaten EvE Online.

Honestly, I think the only way Eve: Valkyrie will be similar to Star Citizen is that it's a space sim... In Space.  Star Citizen is going to have so much more going for it that if all you want is a space sim fighter then go play Valkyrie, but if you want to be immersed into a universe that's more than just a space sim come play Star Citizen.

EDIT:  As a note, it was confirmed (read an article somewhere) that Oculus Rift and CCP are teaming up with this game.

Eve: Valkyrie was announced before SC really took off like it has. Doubt they want to compete with SC when its only a space fighter simulator.

It was announced in Aug 2013, SC had taken off by then and quite before then. CCP brought out valkyrie to show they could do fly by wire combat like elite and star citizen because it was one of the only things eve online did not offer at their table. One of the biggest criticism's of eve online is it had no fly by wire combat, you could not fully control your ship so the combat became stale, boring and very automated, not really fully in the hands of the player, not really dog fighting. EvE has always been about numbers and strategy.

Eve was fucking terrible due to it's total lack of skill-based space piloting in my eyes. Tacking on a feature (ages later I might add) to a game is not a great way to turn the game into something broader. It's just a way to alienate it's current playerbase by stretching their resources thin and skimping on the content the players actually play the game for.

Eve isn't my game, that's fine. It's plenty of other people's game though. Don't fuck the people who like your game already just so you can attempt to pique my interest in it and be greedy, I've already made my damn choice about your game...

Bad fucking idea CCP... just look at Dust for example... Same principle, they reached for the FPS crowd and flopped hard instead of investing into more of he cool shit people like about Eve and making the core game a better one.

1: Not Interested, (SC is the only space game I intended to immerse myself in.)

2: They are very very late. CR has already been building up SC for a very long time now, building a very strong community. Eve can not simply post a trailer of what looks to be a, comparatively, not a very good game at all at such a time in which SC is already top in the market of what eve is now putting itself into. 

Conclusion:

Eve will never will be able to compete with the awesome community CR has built, nor the extreme detail and thought put into SC. CCP is just waiting their time and money and what is a very bad investment.

Again, this is my own opinion as a strong SC backer and enthusiast. 

good for eve. another game supporting vr, thus pushing the demand for vr games. hopefully more games push vr, and shows a real demand for it. maybe in 5 to 10 years the technology will make rift look ancient. as far as playing eve valk..... pass. i prefer to control my ships, not it's spread sheets. i prefer a game that requires you to play to get better, not through research. if i am to be beaten, let it be by a guy who has tons of flight time, not by a guy who is a afk warrior. 

After watching multiple Star Citizen videos I found this video.

I don't know what to think, are they trying to beat Robert to the punch? I heard owning and Oculus Rift is a requirement. 

What are your thoughts?

Well thats not rendered in real-time and the RSI trailers are using the in-game engine.

wow, all those haters thinking that CCP actually thinks about SC being competition.
Actually they don't care about SC and everyone with a right mind can see that SC isn't competition for EVE.
The fundamental gameplay that EVE has can't be archived in SC.
EVE Valkyrie is one of the genius moves CCP had for a long time and fits their style.

Its unique and its competitive. Pure Dogfighting.
Is a standalone because it would be the last thing the EVE Online community wants to deal with too.

@Dragon-Knight
Its real Gameplay which is about a year old, people on the fanfest last year where able to fight 5 vs 5 and there is a devblog which states all the ideas / problems they had developing the prototype.

-EvE Valkyrie is not actually EvE. It's the same IP, but it's not in the same universe/same servers. EvE players and EvE:V players cannot interact.

-EvE:V is not a universe simulator, it's an arena. Think WoT in space.

-It started as a Occulus Rift tech demo, and when SC/Elite took off it was greenlit to become it's on little game in collaboration with Occulus. 

I see no harm in it, and people are unfairly hating on it because they don't like the EvE ip. Had it been a couple of indie devs plopping the same thing out no one would have been crying over it. It's a simple fun arena fighter for people who don't want to be bothered with big universes and only want to pew-pew for an hour. I see no real direct competition with SC.

Here's some non-trailer footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkhbmfxRVrY

It looks entirely ok. Not anything fantastic. It's a great little thing to bundle with the occulus rift imo. But I don't see the SC competition. SC is about universe building and consequences. SC is tilling the soil, growing your own crop, harvesting and milling it, and then baking a delicious cake. Valkyrie is buying a cake at the store. In the end it may be the same thing, but one will taste sweeter, and it's all the work and stories behind it that makes the difference.

I don't really see the oculus rift thing working with this. The man could barely aim in the video.

You can see him freely looking around inside the cockpit. Of course the guns are still aimed straight forward so it doesn't help much with hitting people, just with situational awareness. 

But I don't think CCP and Occulus can be blamed for the reviewer being shit at flight sims. :P

I don't really see the oculus rift thing working with this. The man could barely aim in the video.

I've played EVE Valkyrie. I did it at EVE Vegas last year. Believe me, it works and it works damn well. Everything is intuitive. Missile lock is obtained by simply looking at your opponent and waiting for the reticle to change. Your guns can be firing at a completely different opponent if you like.  The pilot wasn't terrible. The game is lightning fast is all. The controls have to be calibrated to the wearer and that's the hardest part - and it isn't hard at all. It's a look up press the button, look down the press button. Do the same left and right. There, you're calibrated. The VR is so damn good I found myself just looking around at first launch - and that wasn't even the HD headset they have now. The game is truly spectacular and it is so fast you can't believe it. BTW, the video WAS rendered in real time. That's exactly what playing it is like. I know. I've done it.

As for development timeline overlap with SC, know this: SC started first but EVE:V was not an official CCP project. It was developed by CCP programmers in the 20% of their time the company allows them to work on whatever the hell they want. They paid for an OR developer kit out of their own pocket when the kits first came out in 2012. They wrote the initial game on their own time. Then they took it to CCP management. CCP decided to send it to E3. They didn't expect the response they got - it was a proof of concept only after all. Since then CCP and OR have worked side by side to develop the VR headset and EVE:V. EVE:V will be OR's flagship game and it is exclusive to OR. It is VR only.

Lastly, in no way does EVE:V compete with Star Citizen. It isn't even in the same genre. It is a dog fight game and it is an arena game. It will be primed for tournament play like LoL. It is NOT an MMO. It is NOT EVE Online. The only thing it has in common with DUST 514 is that it is a first person shooter. In the future that may change, but that future is years and years away if it ever happens. You SC folks have nothing to worry about.

And if your hate of CCP makes you not play the game, that's a damn shame. It's a fantastic experience. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. You should get over your hate and give it a try. It really is nothing like anything you've ever played.

@Mabrick

No real issues with it, but there isn't much out there on it. If it requires occulus I will pass as i'm not really psyched about the vr system, never really jumped on the 3d or VR tech.

If it can be played normally and is on PC. Then yea why not.

Ive played Eve since Alpha, and one thing ive noticed is that they never do anything half assed, when they release this module it will be good, its no different that trying to compare Call of duty to Battlefield, it will all be personal preference. 

It was announced in Aug 2013, SC had taken off by then and quite before then. CCP brought out valkyrie to show they could do fly by wire combat like elite and star citizen because it was one of the only things eve online did not offer at their table. One of the biggest criticism's of eve online is it had no fly by wire combat, you could not fully control your ship so the combat became stale, boring and very automated, not really fully in the hands of the player, not really dog fighting. EvE has always been about numbers and strategy.

It was announced at Fanfest 2013 (April), it didn't get a public approval of being a standalone game until August.

It had been in development prior to that so likely in fall/late 2012 it was started by the team who were doing it on off hours/after work.

It was announced at Fanfest 2013 (April), it didn't get a public approval of being a standalone game until August.

It had been in development prior to that so likely in fall/late 2012 it was started by the team who were doing it on off hours/after work.

I knew it was "shown" at fanfest, we were talking about "official announcement" which according to their site is August 2013.

Either way it's a CCP product so I won't be supporting it personally.