Victor Vector

It appears recently that Photof*cket now wants $400 a year to allow us to post images on forums or anywhere else for that matter.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/

I think they know what they can do with that idea.

That said any photo's I've previously posted may no longer work either by Photof*cket's interference or ultimately by me removing all photo's from their site and finding an alternative host.

If anyone else is using Photobucket, beware.

In the meantime, any suggestions for a good, simple easy to use FREE photo hosting site that allows posting your photo's on forums etc, gratefully received.

Edited by Victor Vector
typo's

Yeah i noticed last night. When i couldn't sleep i logged in to these here forums only to find my sig replaced by a photobucket add. There is no way I'm going to pay $400 a year for them hosting a freekin' signature and I immediately deleted my account.

That does mean, however, I now have no place to host my sig. If anyone has a suggestion i'd appriciate it!

24 minutes ago, Fizzlefuse said:

Yeah i noticed last night. When i couldn't sleep i logged in to these here forums only to find my sig replaced by a photobucket add. There is no way I'm going to pay $400 a year for them hosting a freekin' signature and I immediately deleted my account.

That does mean, however, I now have no place to host my sig. If anyone has a suggestion i'd appriciate it!

Why not host your sig on this site for this site?

2 minutes ago, Fizzlefuse said:

I tried that and it puts a border of sorts around the image. I'll look into it tonight, it was 4 am last night when I tried:p

I need to figure out how i did it.

Forget photobucket, I stopped using them years ago the moment they started with the paid membership Bs! Imgur is the way to go and there's many more free image hosting sites out there.

@Fizzlefuse when you load your image to the forums make sure to click the button that says "Remove Format" to remove the box from around your image.

I have now retrieved all my images from Photobucket and deleted my account. Took forever mainly because of their damned irritating captcha routine every time you need to download something. Anyway good riddance to them.

I was looking at Imgur and reviews were good with this one: https://www.thebalance.com/top-free-image-hosting-websites-1357014 stating that direct linking is allowed. This is a snippet from their review: "Direct linking is allowed and you're also given links for embedding the image in HTML or adding it to message boards and forums." Great, but then in Imgur's T.O.S. I noticed this paragraph which is rather worrying:

"Stuff not to do

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it."

Now I may be reading all this wrong - so many terms - direct linking, hot linking, 3rd party hosting, - all seem to mean basically the same thing as far as my limited knowledge goes, so which is it? Are we allowed to use imgur to display images on other websites or not.  Seems very confusing with conflicting reports depending on where you look.

Ok, after a bit more shuffling around on Imgur I found this which seems to clear up any misunderstanding I think.

"Are you unable to see your images on a forum? 
We allow hotlinking on forums, but hotlinked images cannot be used as content for a website, including blog posts, avatars, site elements, and advertising. You can read our terms of service for more info. If you believe your site has been mistakenly blocked, please contact us for assistance."

The statement snippet in my previous post regarding Imgur's T.O.S. may be a bit ambiguous/confusing to some, myself included, but the above appears to clear up any doubt on the issue. Imgur, does indeed allow direct or hotlinking to forums etc. Good enough for me. Imgur account soon to be set up. :D