weapons loadout

Zee

• 1 month later...

I would be interested in a hammerhead with Tachyon cannons, either a full Tachyon loadout or mixed in with repeaters.

I do not like ammo weapons at all, to limiting, what good is it if you fire 3000 rounds per minute if you only have 1500 ammo?

size 4 repeaters should have a fairly good range themself, maybe not 5km, but 2.5-3km i could imagine.

Most fighters do not have that range, so a Hammerhead can fire befor a fighter even gets into effective range of its guns.

The positive aspect of tachyons is faster the light "bullet" witch should put it to a faily good extreme range over the M6 lasers, maybe 7km? we will see once there enter the game...

other then that, you planed in 2D, but we play in 3D

1 HH ahead. 1 left, 1 right, 1 up, 1 down, 1 rear should be a better aproach

with a terrapin as advanced scout and a fighterscreen that be tough to beat whatever guns you use.

but remember LTI only covers base ship moduls, so it is also a cost factor changing weapons

p.s.

also if you want high fire output close range check out scatterguns, those are like Flak guns

2 hours ago, Chris von Hoff said:

other then that, you planed in 2D, but we play in 3D

1 HH ahead. 1 left, 1 right, 1 up, 1 down, 1 rear should be a better aproach

At current configuration, the Hammerhead currently has almost zero blind spots. That's to include dorsal and ventral firing arcs. So flying in 2D wouldn't be much different. Keeping all close in sentry ships at equal distance around the asset would still effectively create a defensive bubble around the asset, since the HH's firing arcs would allow it to fire above and below with little trouble. 

As the game progresses and new weapons/types become available, things would change. This is in no way a final solution. Loadouts will change with future advancements.

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting topic.

It is interesting to think about mixing weapons not on the same turret, but on different turrets, that way pips can be accurate. What I mean to say is that an individual turret will have four of the same weapons, but having a mix of weapons on the ship might be advantageous. Another thing to consider is that not all turrets will have equal usage. 

• Say the dorsal turret will have energy weapons, that way the ship is covered in case ammo runs low. Plus the dorsal turret may be the workhorse, as it has the best fire angles.
  • Also, if the Hammerhead is meant to be a point defense against torpedoes, it might be useful to have high fire-rate weapons like the Gatling on some side turrets or rear turret.
  • Large caliber low fire-rate ballistics might be good at punching through the heavier armor and shields of larger ships, but be terrible at shooting incoming torpedoes or nimble targets. 

Basically it is going to come down to the particulars of the mission and careful consideration of the expected duration and targets.

Mono-boating all one ballistic caliber may make ammo logistics easier, while all energy will increase the signature and share resources with the shields and power plant. I am leaning towards a mix, but it will take actual experience from actual PvP encounters to really know which may be best. 

On 5/16/2018 at 12:03 AM, Fleischwolf said:

This is an interesting topic.

It is interesting to think about mixing weapons not on the same turret, but on different turrets, that way pips can be accurate. What I mean to say is that an individual turret will have four of the same weapons, but having a mix of weapons on the ship might be advantageous. Another thing to consider is that not all turrets will have equal usage. 

• Say the dorsal turret will have energy weapons, that way the ship is covered in case ammo runs low. Plus the dorsal turret may be the workhorse, as it has the best fire angles.
  • Also, if the Hammerhead is meant to be a point defense against torpedoes, it might be useful to have high fire-rate weapons like the Gatling on some side turrets or rear turret.
  • Large caliber low fire-rate ballistics might be good at punching through the heavier armor and shields of larger ships, but be terrible at shooting incoming torpedoes or nimble targets. 

Basically it is going to come down to the particulars of the mission and careful consideration of the expected duration and targets.

Mono-boating all one ballistic caliber may make ammo logistics easier, while all energy will increase the signature and share resources with the shields and power plant. I am leaning towards a mix, but it will take actual experience from actual PvP encounters to really know which may be best. 

Careful with mixing more than two weapon types as some are more energy-hungry than others. The last thing you'd want in an intense and furious fire fight is a drain on energy. Let's use distortion weapons for example. Slow rate of fire but lots of dps with the ability to completely shut a target down if exposed to its fire too long, but a massive drain energy. 

We don't yet know how the HH's power plants will hold up with 24 x S4 weapons firing for long durations simultaneously. Of course, they will be upgradeable which may increase the signature of the ship, but this ship isn't meant to be stealth. So showing up to a fight loud and proud will be the norm. Not saying you couldn't make modifications to make it a stealthier ship, but again, if you're calling in this bad boy, you wanna bring the noise.

Personally, I'll probably go with high end military or industrial power plants just to make sure I have more than enough energy to keep everything running at peak efficiency. Also, industrial coolers might not hurt either. 

• 5 months later...

Cannons are the way to go with Hammerhead pretty much, be it ballistic or energy depending on power/cooling potential. A mix of both can still be okay.

Omniskys are the best weapons to run atm in PTU 3.3.

You want max. engagement range so you need the weapons with highest velocity and highest range and those are likely to end up being cannons.

Gatlings do good damage but have low velocity and range pretty much atm. They look cool but that's just about it.

Very true. But how epic would it be to see a hammerhead (or two) with this loadout flying in for ground support? Fly in...saturate the area, then fly out to re-arm. I posted a video on my youtube channel, hours before STL posted his video. I really want to coordinate a massive battle. I mean, take over an entire server and have two teams fighting for supremacy on Daymar. Say, Bountiful Harvest or some other location that doesn't have an armistice zone.

Put on 24x S4 Omnisky XII's and call it a day. It's possible for one gunner to destroy a fighter with one trigger pull if you hit a vital area. 

Also, you'd better have air superiority if you are flying Hammerheads with ballistics for ground support. Otherwise, if you expend all or most of your ammo, it's possible for just two Hornets with fixed Omnisky loadouts to take you out. Or just one if you aren't managing shields properly. 

Omnisky's are the some of the highest DPS, range, and projectile speed and damage per shot (Second only to M6A per 10/29/18). They are hard to beat with patient gunners. The stock layout with repeaters is excellent though and might be superior with NPC or AI turrets against players than the cannons. The rapid fire and spread may become hard to dodge and compensate for AIs predictable nature. The repeaters are fine at killing civi craft, and other capitals so far too. Repeater fire looks cool as a bonus.

1 hour ago, Scotterius said:

Omnisky's are the some of the highest DPS, range, and projectile speed and damage per shot (Second only to M6A per 10/29/18). They are hard to beat with patient gunners. The stock layout with repeaters is excellent though and might be superior with NPC or AI turrets against players than the cannons. The rapid fire and spread may become hard to dodge and compensate for AIs predictable nature. The repeaters are fine at killing civi craft, and other capitals so far too. Repeater fire looks cool as a bonus.

I'm still conducting tests for my Hammerhead loadouts, but I really like the M6A's 

They changed the values on weapons!

S4 dps seems to have reduced drastically, that's nice.

There doesn't seem to be a significant difference between Omniskys and MxA series now, they're like the same with MxA series being slightly better atm.