The "Origin 300i" thread

Psychomorph

• 1 month later...

~S~ @forceofwill lmao if I was in a fighter that had a 360 view, I would be affraid of running into something that was infront of me that is now behind me that is behinfd/front wait need to start over. I will not fly a hip that has no forward look :P Welcome rotorax :( still saving for the 300i BUT I will get one, even if I was seen walking into someone else's hanger. :)

It's good to see that players will be getting stylish ships no matter what level they pledged at. During the crowd funding campaign, we only saw a few ships (more towards the end), but they were all mid-level ships. The pledgers for the 300i and Aurora were pledging blind and putting their faith in CI that they'd be getting a wothwhile ship. By the looks of the 300i, their faith hasn't been misplaced. That said, as stylish as the 300i looks, I'm glad I pledged for the Constellation. In comparison, the 300i seems like a toy, like a hotrod or ATV or speed boat that you take out on weekends. What I mean is that I might buy a smaller ship like a 300i (or M50) in-game for cruising around and having fun, but I wouldn't want or need a lifetime insured 300i when I already have my Constellation.

In comparison, the 300i seems like a toy, like a hotrod or ATV or speed boat that you take out on weekends. What I mean is that I might buy a smaller ship like a 300i (or M50) in-game for cruising around and having fun.

Just like the BMW they mentioned in the design documents :)

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 300i as a captain's yacht, something small I can zip around in when I don't want to bring my bigger ships. I do wish it was a little smaller, as I sadly missed out on the M50, but I do like the sleek lines. However, I'll wait until concept art is released for the Aurora before I make a decision. WingMan almost drooled on himself when he spoke of the design being well underway, so either that's good marketing or (my personal opinion) it will be a real looker.

• 1 month later...

I'll probablly be using it as a mission fighting ship, Fight in style basically. But even tho I will be using lasers and turrents. I like having a missle on back up. If I need to run a blockade or just disable a pursuer. It will come in handy. But not my main method of destruction. I can't wait to see the 300i's design.

• 2 weeks later...

*casually revives dead topic*

I'm sure this topic is about to get it's second Lego necromancer from Nova but....I don't care, there's more to discuss xD and this is the main origin 300i thread

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the final design? Personally I love it, and I hope it remains final, but I noticed a few features worth discussing.

The inclusion of living quarters and a docking collar confirms boarding operations for this ship (albeit small ones) but also implies that unlike most dog fighters we'll be able to walk around inside the 300i as it is more than just a cockpit? I'd like to see the possibility of a weapons rack to be kept in the back in case of trouble xD

Equally, the hydrogen ram scoop implies that this, like it has been stated many larger ships can do, can refuel by doing a flyby of a gas giant and sucking in the required gasses (in this case hydrogen).

Any thoughts? Or is this reading too deeply into the cutaway diagram?

http://images.wikia.com/starcitizen/images/c/c1/Origin_300i_schematic.png

Fellow 300i admirer, I welcome you here, I think that it´s the most beautiful ship so far and I love the fact that it´s slightly bigger than casual dogfighter, so you can walk around, even if I´ll have bigger ships later, this one will stay close to my heart as a personal memento. I studied the cutaway closely many times, but it´s simply not enough, I can´t wait to study it "in person" when the module comes live

I like the latest design but have my doubts about the fully connected wing at the back, it is a great way of placing the weapon but I just feel it's a bit to much, guess I'll get used to it when flying around.

haven't really put much thought into the hydrogen ram scoop but I did find it nice that we can walk around our ship while other small ship pilots can't, as to the weapon rack, I would like something like this:

Posted Image

Oh thank Jebus, someone is talking about ships again.

That's a big "fighter".  The artists they hired are kind of high profile talent, so when they return a product CIG just smiles and goes along with it.  If the 300i owners are happy with it, that's good enough.  I'm still raising my eyebrow at the fact that a sleek fighter with limited cargo capabilities is longer than a dedicated long range cargo and exploration ship (the Freelancer).  Aesthetically I liked a lot of the concept art versions more.  The smooth cockpit one had an F-35 look about it.

Thanks for the warm welcome xP

And personally I love the fully connecting wing! It looks like the ship of a bounty hunter that's done well for himself, and it has been stated that origin ships are criticised for sometimes inflating the price to accommodate style and luxury, so it makes sense to me!

Also found a source on the hydrogen ram scoop, from the sounds of it this one is already quite advanced, judging by appearance alone, and should give the ship a lot of range, as it allows it to refuel on the fly, no need for a gas giant!

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/

• 2 weeks later...

if the thrust numbers in that google doc i put in my sig are close to accurate, the m50 will have twice the maneuvering thrust of a hornet.  that kind of agility makes me think of the eagle vs the other high end ships in freelancer.  the superior turn radius gave the eagle a huge advantage in dog fights because you could pull a hard turn, break out of a pursuer's line of sight, and be back on his tail before he was really able to do much about it.  granted, the freelancer ships never saw the benefit of maneuvering thrusters implemented alongside an accurate physics model but i think the advantages for the m50 are still going to be significant.  of course, carrying a smaller arsenal of weapons may reduce that advantage some... 

only time will tell!