Build help Looking to upgrade my CPU

HydroBIG BANG

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU in my gaming rig and don't have great knowledge about CPUs. Here is the MOBO I have right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792  ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68  My current CPU is an i5 2500k   I'm looking at about 300 or a little above for a CPU budget. Any advice as to which ones are good for Star Citizen? Also Is there any point to getting an i7 over an i5? I'd rather save a hundred bucks if there is minimal benefit from an i7 over an i5. Keep in mind I currently use my gaming rig for streaming Star Citizen as well but plan on getting a dedicated streaming PC in the future and sticking my i5 2500k in it and will probably upgrade it later.

Do you really need to upgrade? When I look at the specs of your CPU then I don't see why you would do that right now. It should still be fine for a while.

Before 2015 I was more or less fine with a CPU from 2008 (or before). With your one, which is from 2011, you should be fine until the next generation of Intel CPU's is out (Kaby Lake/Cannonlake).
Actually I highly recommend to wait for the next generation. I just bought a new CPU because I really had to. Otherwise I would have waited as well.

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU in my gaming rig and don't have great knowledge about CPUs. Here is the MOBO I have right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792  ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68  My current CPU is an i5 2500k   I'm looking at about 300 or a little above for a CPU budget. Any advice as to which ones are good for Star Citizen? Also Is there any point to getting an i7 over an i5? I'd rather save a hundred bucks if there is minimal benefit from an i7 over an i5. Keep in mind I currently use my gaming rig for streaming Star Citizen as well but plan on getting a dedicated streaming PC in the future and sticking my i5 2500k in it and will probably upgrade it later.

I would wait and upgrade your motherboard, cpu, and ram. The motherboard you have right now limits you to a generation before the latest cpu's. 

Do you really need to upgrade? When I look at the specs of your CPU then I don't see why you would do that right now. It should still be fine for a while.

Before 2015 I was more or less fine with a CPU from 2008 (or before). With your one, which is from 2011, you should be fine until the next generation of Intel CPU's is out (Kaby Lake/Cannonlake).
Actually I highly recommend to wait for the next generation. I just bought a new CPU because I really had to. Otherwise I would have waited as well.

If I wasn't a streamer then I would probably not be worried about upgrading right now but I need to be able to run the game at a better framerate than I currently do so that my gaming rig doesn't bottleneck my streaming rig when I get one. Right now I'm only able to play at low settings and my FPS varies from playable to unplayable. If I get a streaming setup capable of 60 FPS streaming then I want to be able to run the game at over 30 at least so my stream PC actually makes a difference. I'm also planning on getting a GTX 970 so I don't know if it will just get bottlenecked by my 2500k or not.

If I wasn't a streamer then I would probably not be worried about upgrading right now but I need to be able to run the game at a better framerate than I currently do so that my gaming rig doesn't bottleneck my streaming rig when I get one. Right now I'm only able to play at low settings and my FPS varies from playable to unplayable. If I get a streaming setup capable of 60 FPS streaming then I want to be able to run the game at over 30 at least so my stream PC actually makes a difference. I'm also planning on getting a GTX 970 so I don't know if it will just get bottlenecked by my 2500k or not.

I suppose you will benefit from multithreading then (which means you want an i7).
However, for that socket I just can't find anything good. I'm on 
LGA1150 and using the i7-4790k. But brand-new CPU's on LGA 1155 to keep up Star Citizen? Guess I'm out of ideas here.

Without getting a new MoBo as well it's just a waste in my opinion. Especially because SC may (or rather will) get more performance-hungry with the mini-PU and the actual PU. You'll probably end up buying hardware again in not even 2 years.

I suppose you will benefit from multithreading then (which means you want an i7).However, for that socket I just can't find anything good. I'm on LGA1150 and using the i7-4790k. But brand-new CPU's on LGA 1155 to keep up Star Citizen? Guess I'm out of ideas here.

Without getting a new MoBo as well it's just a waste in my opinion. Especially because SC may (or rather will) get more performance-hungry with the mini-PU and the actual PU. You'll probably end up buying hardware again in not even 2 years.

And so it begins again,want a CPU upgrade but also need to upgrade my MOBO to do so ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)   Alright, any recommendations on a MOBO that supports the latest CPUs that are available now without breaking the bank?

And so it begins again,want a CPU upgrade but also need to upgrade my MOBO to do so ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)   Alright, any recommendations on a MOBO that supports the latest CPUs that are available now without breaking the bank?

Haha, don't worry, I had the same issue just for upgrading my RAM. Had to replace pretty much everything to go from 4GB to 16GB.

I don't want to assume anything nor lie to you, so I just give you my recommendation on parts that I currently have in use as well:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K @ 4GHz
RAM: Crucial 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger

That's for these 3 (they're no the totally latest, in fact, they're just one step before the latest but work perfectly fine).
My current GPU is an Asus Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC 4GB. Works fine, but I think you want more for streaming. Most likely you even want Nvdia, but I prefer AMD if you got a tight budget. The only downside is the higher power usage (and thus higher temps).

It's quite hard to tell you more since I only know about your MoBo and your CPU. Maybe something of your current rig is still usable.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X7NLZL

That's a build I'm putting together right now, exclude the ridiculous monitor lol

Alright, any recommendations on a MOBO that supports the latest CPUs that are available now without breaking the bank?

What kind of money waste are you putting together there? lol
1TB SSD, water cooling, 850W PSU?

What kind of money waste are you putting together there? lol1TB SSD, water cooling, 850W PSU?

1tb ssd for me as one single drive since i already have a 2tb hdd. AIO coolers are the best, and 850w psu because the more load you put on a psu the less efficient it gets. You generally never want to go above 60% load or else you're just wasting energy.

1tb ssd for me as one single drive since i already have a 2tb hdd. AIO coolers are the best, and 850w psu because the more load you put on a psu the less efficient it gets. You generally never want to go above 60% load or else you're just wasting energy.

I've got a 250GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. Can' even fill those, and I'm downloading a lot.
Specially for SC I would recommend buying a 125GB as extra to store it there. But 1TB is just...no. That's something if you got too much money left.

As for the PSU, the difference in usage is so tiny that it's barely/not worth the extra money.
I kinda like that quote:

You can’t save power that you aren’t using

I've got a 250GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. Can' even fill those, and I'm downloading a lot.
Specially for SC I would recommend buying a 125GB as extra to store it there. But 1TB is just...no. That's something if you got too much money left.

As for the PSU, the difference in usage is so tiny that it's barely/not worth the extra money.
I kinda like that quote:

I have a laptop with only 256gb and i can only have 3-4 games or else I have to uninstall and reinstall to play other things. !tb ssd fits MY needs. And yes you can WASTE power by putting your psu under too much load. 

http://img.hexus.net/v2/TekSpek/80_PLUS/80plus-cert-chart.gif

I have a laptop with only 256gb and i can only have 3-4 games or else I have to uninstall and reinstall to play other things. !tb ssd fits MY needs. And yes you can WASTE power by putting your psu under too much load. 

http://img.hexus.net/v2/TekSpek/80_PLUS/80plus-cert-chart.gif

I've got more than 16 games on my SSD (including SC) and all kinds of stuff (it's my main drive). Right now there are still 62GB left.
I have no clue what kind of needs you have, but I better don't ask.

Also, I never said you won't waste any power.
I simply said that the amount is so extremely tiny that there's no point in bothering about it nor paying a quite big amount of money for the extra watts (which you don't even need).

I've recently done a lot of research as I just built my PC about 2 months ago, so information should be up to date but as well personal opinions from what I found.

MoBo -  Workstation Mobo's will give you essentials and is a good choice, I personally purchased the Asus X-99 deluxe and I do love it, has been fantastic so far but I might of dropped all these extras for a Workstation board if I had another chance.

CPU - I7 5820k is a EXTREMLY well priced 6 core Intel at $300 (if you go to store to pick up), but the catch is you can only have up to 2 video cards. I purchased this one and for the price... it is good, ignoring the price... I would expect more from a 6 core. So my personal recommendation is get something over a 5830k if possible. Otherwise If you only run two video cards then maybe 5820k is for you, or 5830k option if you use more than two video cards. They have the same exact stats otherwise.

Streaming - I would 100% get a 6+ core (refer to CPU section) as they help with multi tasking.  MoBo I don't have anything specific for streaming, again Workstation would be nice to have just what you need but it wont hurt to get the mainstream boards.  I'm pretty sure you already have this but just to be safe the Aver Media C985 will take all the stress off your PC to help even further.\

Star Citizen - Refering to StarCitizen PC build guide, these are the EXTREME options currently. Please check link to see all the options, should help compare how it will run Star Citizen.

•  Extreme MOBO (Socket 2011-3) (pick the features you prefer) x99 $225-$325 Recommended: MSI X99S SLI PLUS"      
  • Extreme recommendations: CPU

$400 Intel i7-5820K (140W) (LGA 2011-3)
$600 Intel i7-5930K (140W) (LGA 2011-3)
$1000 Intel i7-5960X (140W) (LGA 2011-3)

Reference - CPU comparison /  MoBo talk / StarCitizen HardwareSolid Build / My build (If any parts interest you)

Edited by Switch

I would recommend waiting till summer next year. Why? Their will be more availability of the new 1151 socket among motherboards. 

As seeing that you stated that you are a streamer, it's safe to assume that you need hyperthreading. The cpu from intel only support that on their i7 lines (well xeon is out of the budget and not meant for gaming). 

Well the question that you should be asking yourself right now, is do you plan to overclock? If not, then that would save you an awful lot of money.

"bigger is not necessarily better"

For you personally, there is a point to get an i7 over an i5. Intel i5 cores don't support hyperthreading, while their i7 cores (and xeon) do. As the streaming software will make use of the hyperthreading and Star Citizen might (not sure if it will/does yet). Getting an i7 will cost you, but it's money well spend depending on the SPECIFIC model and whether or not you going planning to overclock or just stream and leave it as is. If you are planning to overclock that would change the budget, so are you?

If you don't make use of software that use hyperthreading an i5 is more than enough, but as you stated that you are streaming, it is an recommended choice.

"More expensive is not necessarily better and/or recommended for you"

Regardless my advice to you stays: "Wait till later next year, more availability and that i5 2500k will do just fine for now." 

Edited by rain2reign
additional text

I've got an i7-3770k that just plain kicks ass for the price.

Was about 320 iirc when I bought it 3 years ago.

QUESTION: I'm looking at this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132586 and like many similar boards it says it supports DDR4 RAM (DDR4 3400*(*O.C.)/ 3333*/ 3300*/ 3200*/ 3000*/ 2800*/ 2666*/ 2400*/ 2133 )   Is it also compatible with DDR3 as well?

No, only DDR4. However, DDR4 is getting faily in line of what you can pay for DDR3. So for the long term factor, I would get a motherboard with DDR4.

So would this be compatible with the board I linked? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231783

Yeah they should work fine. I remember back in the day we had to look up the codes for compatible RAM for that specific motherboard then match those codes with the RAM being sold. It would real pain back in the day lol By codes I mean, this is the code for the RAM you linked me: F4-2133C15Q-16GRK. There were hundreds of these codes in a list on the motherboards manufacturing website and if you were looking for RAM and couldn't find a match, it didn't matter if it was DDR2 or DDR3, it just wouldn't work with the motherboard.

Wanted a new CPU. Now need to get a $200 motherboard for it and and another $100 RAM kit because MOBO only supports DDR4.

I would wait though for the summer like others have said, simply because of Nvidia's Pascal cards releasing. 12-16gb v-ram cards will be the norm and that will be a game changer in graphics computing.

Wanted a new CPU. Now need to get a $200 motherboard for it and and another $100 RAM kit because MOBO only supports DDR4.

Welp..... FML.thumb.jpg.4b17a8b6913f376cfb925c3503

You could go with a $100 MoBo as well. 16GB DDR3 RAM work perfectly.
You're simply not allowed to go with the latest generation of CPU's then.

But hey, the difference between Haswell and Skylake isn't that big.

I mean, cmon, look at those benchmarks:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Haswell-vs-Skylake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/

Right now I don't even regret buying my 4790k. There wouldn't have been any real improvement anyway.

12-16gb v-ram cards will be the norm and that will be a game changer in graphics computing.

Yeah...no. Maybe in >2 years or if you're obsessed with hilarious high resolutions.

Edited by Wyvyrias