Star citizen joystick poll

Pontuzz

I Fully support that CIG is gonna work with Joy/Flightsticks companies to have a themed products.

I wanted to get a Trustmaster HOTAS X for this game... but i didn't yet, now that i know CIG is working with Trustmaster/Saitek, i'll wait for that... and hope i can get it on Amazon or smthing... Living in SEA is so troublesome getting these stuff

But at least i know if i buy this Joystick it'll work with SC :D (Maybe come with a couple of bonus codes for smthing? :P)

It's cool CIG is looking at it and I'd love to see it, but truth be told it would likely be at least 12-18 months out.. and I'm planning on getting a new stick as soon as the DFM is ready and I imagine a lot are in the same boat. Though it might come out just in time for people who want to upgrade their X52's or something.

Would love to have a Star Citizen specific HOTAS set up... unless it's Saitek... have had too many issues with them in the past. Running a Thrustmaster at the moment but if they make one, and it's good, i'd probably buy it.

i was thinking of a thrustmaster but it requires pedals no? Pedals seem like a waste in a space sim (at least to me) id rather have the rudder on my joystick so i was thinking of maybe x55, but we'll see what CIG does with this. Hopefully there's gonna be a nice SC joystick :D

I like the idea of using those joystick but at the same time i'd rather use you know like a real jet immersive experience and get the.. between the leg stick and especially one of those Oculus rift..

That would be killer experience.. 

It's like all or nothing for me :/

I'll still think about maybe getting the rig with oculus and a stick/thrust setup for the game when it comes out but most than likely going to stick with mouse/keyboard :P

I like the idea of using those joystick but at the same time i'd rather use you know like a real jet immersive experience and get the.. between the leg stick and especially one of those Oculus rift..

That would be killer experience.. 

It's like all or nothing for me :/

I'll still think about maybe getting the rig with oculus and a stick/thrust setup for the game when it comes out but most than likely going to stick with mouse/keyboard :P

I am definetley going for some sort of HOTAS system. Going to mount a sort of "table" to my chair and then have the throttle on the left and joystick on the right. Just in front of where my arms are resting for maximum ergonomics. I am also certain i'll get a set of occulus once the consumer version is released since it is confirmed that SC will support occulus from day 1

I'm really considering the new X65.. my other option is to get an X52 or equivalent and use my older handy Logitec Wingman at the same time for horizontal and vertical translation. I'd like a stick with a lot of programmable flip switches though.

I'm going to get a basic one first and wait to see what RSI come out with and if I like the cheap one that's on its way to my house right now :P I'll be picking up the SC one I hope they make one just for SC as that's all I will use it for lol

Voted Mouse/Keyboard

I played Freelancer and X3 with mouse/kb and was satisfied with the controls.

SC is going to play nothing like Freelancer though, not even close. If that's what you're using as your metric you might want to try the Diaspora mod or Wing Commander Saga for FreeSpace 2. Those will give you a much better idea of the gameplay.

It's amazing how many have picked mouse/keyboard.

I think the primary reason is the younger community members that weren't gaming before m&k became the standard and the 'hardcore' sims stopped being made. They don't know how rewarding and fun it can be to start a sim not knowing how to properly play it (i.e. fly the ships) and slowly improving as you continue to play. Games now tend to have very shallow (short) learning curves to cater to a wider audience and there is little reward to learning how to play them well.

Another reason for the poll results is that there is a group in the community that wants a more arcade-like sim, to minimize the importance of skill and tactics in the game. This is going to be an ongoing battle between those that want 'realistic' gameplay where skill is developed over time, and those that want casual gameplay that can be easily mastered, is more twitch based and puts less importance on tactics and planning.

SC is going to play nothing like Freelancer though, not even close. If that's what you're using as your metric you might want to try the Diaspora mod or Wing Commander Saga for FreeSpace 2. Those will give you a much better idea of the gameplay.

This is excellent advice, since SC gameplay will likely be much closer to those examples than Freelancer. The Freelancer system was a simplified flight model designed for m&k control and joystick support was added to it. Because of the flight model (cursor flying), joystick control is inferior in Freelancer. SC's flight model is much more detailed and likely will have fewer flight aids to give m&k and advantage over joystick control. I am not suggesting that m&k input will be nerfed, just that the game will not give it the advantages that Freelancer did (cursor flying).

Mouse & keyboard might be sufficient.. But im not looking for anything to be meerly sufficient with SC. I am looking for immersion which is what the game promises to bring so i might as well take it to it's fullest. 

Good set of HOTAS

Occulus rift (consumer version)

and something else that i come up with

Mouse & keyboard might be sufficient.. But im not looking for anything to be meerly sufficient with SC. I am looking for immersion which is what the game promises to bring so i might as well take it to it's fullest. 

Good set of HOTAS

Occulus rift (consumer version)

and something else that i come up with

+1

I am also a future Oculus Rift owner (CK1) and care more about immersion then trying to min/max my performance. As far as control configuration, I think the most effective will be dual joysticks, at least for a pure dogfighter or interceptor. The left hand joystick would control left/right and up/down slide motion, have a thumb wheel for throttle control and perhaps a twist axis for roll or yaw, for players without pedals. Unfortunately, since the RSI poll did not include a dual stick option, those that want it will likely have to make due with a standard ambidextrous joystick for the left hand, like the CH Products Flightstick Pro or Thrustmaster T-1600M.

I love my X52 Pro joystick and hope it works well with SC.

I see no reason why it shouldn't. It's been stated the game should work with most common sticks from what i remember and the x52 is as standard as it gets in terms of how many people use and like the stick