Investigative Journalism

faquarl25

Do you all think it is worth it to add investigative journalism to the game? When I say this I mean like finding out about the UEE's black programs (which we have already learned that they have a lot of) and maybe finding out about new ships before release. I just think it would be cool for them to hide the info somewhere so the fact that a new ship is due out will leak in game, not posted on their website or selling the info to a periodical that corporation X actually terraformed over colonists purposefully to make sure the corporation could own 100% of the planet. 

We know that journalism and broadcasting are a "thing" thanks to one of the Reliant variants and the Heralds, that said, I am unsure if they will have it to where they will keep all the "new stuff" as in-game. It would be cool, but I think investigative journalism would more be around lore-specific stuff like movements of troops and things like we've seen in lore episodes. 

I would love to see some sort of "Area 51"-like presence in the game, but I have a feeling they would be even less accessible than the Real Thing (which has people guessing at what's going on inside from firmly outside its fence, and that's pretty much it). I fear any hope of successful infiltration into such a place would require the kind of enormous concerted effort that only a large Org could pull off (support from insider contacts, painstakingly assembled long-term intelligence, ships / people with fake IDs, etc.). I'm sure this is exactly the kind of "emergent" co-op stuff CIG's wet dreams are made of, but at the same time it's of no interest at all to me if a lone spy has no hope to succeed. I am curious but also anti-social and definitely not suicidal...

On 5/13/2017 at 7:42 AM, Porcupine said:

I would love to see some sort of "Area 51"-like presence in the game, but I have a feeling they would be even less accessible than the Real Thing (which has people guessing at what's going on inside from firmly outside its fence, and that's pretty much it). I fear any hope of successful infiltration into such a place would require the kind of enormous concerted effort that only a large Org could pull off (support from insider contacts, painstakingly assembled long-term intelligence, ships / people with fake IDs, etc.). I'm sure this is exactly the kind of "emergent" co-op stuff CIG's wet dreams are made of, but at the same time it's of no interest at all to me if a lone spy has no hope to succeed. I am curious but also anti-social and definitely not suicidal...

You are in luck! Behring Applied Technology is in the lore. They are are basically the skunk works (they even have cartoon mascot, a bat) and Area-51 is villi, a moon which is completely covered in scars from explosions which the government denies ever taking place. 

With the recently shown render-to-texture capabilities I'm sure we'll see some very creative uses in journalism, espionage and whatever else people can come up with.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the tech leads and I hope CIG will actually put some covert stuff in the game for players to.. erm... "cover" ;)

On 17/05/2017 at 7:57 AM, faquarl25 said:

You are in luck! Behring Applied Technology is in the lore. They are are basically the skunk works (they even have cartoon mascot, a bat) and Area-51 is villi, a moon which is completely covered in scars from explosions which the government denies ever taking place. 

Oh, way cool. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely have to take a look at some point then...