Ongoing Discussion Let's Talk Hardware

Deedy

Hiya folks,

I recently took out my [EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB] from my main rig and replaced it with a couple of [sapphire 280X Vapor-X] graphics cards I had laying about.

The performance upgrade is great (because I'm running xfire) but the technical issues are less than great. It seems I always have trouble using ATI/AMD hardware.

This time around it was;

• BSOD
  • No RMB menu on desktop
  • Xfire automatically disabling and reverting back to 2x seperate cards
  • Won't support more than 2 screens
  • Firefox randomly seizes up
  • Shockwave closes after drivers 'close and recover'

I'm selling my cards and buying a second GTX 770.

What are you folks running at the moment? Anybody here using Titan Z? I envy you..

its sad to hear about your 2x 280x that are giving you so much trouble.

What FPS were you getting in the hangar with those cards setup in CF? and with what settings etc?

Are you using an AMD CPU?

Don't know why you didn't just get another 770 in the first place. 2x 770's is a powerful combo. I think it should manage SC on highest settings depending on your res. The cards are pretty cheap too.

@Minted

Not a Zyzz fan by any chance? The GTX 770 is amazing, my first one could run 2x24 27in LED LCD screens AND my 46in Sony Bravia via HDMI. Loved it.. These 2x 280x can only manage 2 screens, even with xfire.

@TitanEntity

If Dxtory is anything to go by my video recording of the hangar on 'Very High' settings is between 50 and 60 fps. Also, these cards came out of an old mining rig so naturally I replaced my GTX 770 hoping to get a performance increase but the issues aren't worth it. I'm using an Intel CPU.

@Jozi

Sweet!, does it run SC Hangar okay?

What are you folks running at the moment? 

I got a second GTX 670. (now 2x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3x)

SLI works perfect, no problems so far except one crash when i installed the new 337.88 driver

Hangar: 55 - 60 FPS @ 1080p Very High setting but some of the textures and lights flicker and there is some input lag when i look around.

I have dual EVGA 780 superclocked 3gig in SLI. The run great and smoke the benchmarks. Currently you can pick them up in the US from newegg for under $500 each. I would suggest the if you have a 770, pick up another of exactly the same model and run it SLI. All the 770's are under $400 from newegg. You should see about an 80% increase in graphics performance with a second card. Anyone who tells you different hasn't tested the equipment thoroughly. 

Link to neweggs 770 page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%2050001402%20600451260&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20770

Link to graphics benchmark single card:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3159376?

Link to graphics benchmark two cards in SLI:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3159545?

These tests are on my current configuration. The results are clear, but the choice is yours...good luck!

@Nord

Yeah, I'll probably stick with the second 770 that way I can go SLI straight away, when I find another job and put some cash aside I can upgrade later down the track.

@daHawk

I only have that lag when I open up the hangar for the first time, the light flickers and what not I think are actually part of the hangar atm (either that or I need a 120hz screen)

@

Not wrong! Those scores are great! I'm only running 8gb of ram atm, so I'll probably grab another 8gb when I pick up my new card. The 780s will be out of my price range until I find a job I think. I'm jealous though!

@TitanEntity

Lol yeah, Zyzz was alright, shame he claimed natty though when he wasn't :/

I have my complete PC specs on my Twitch page for an easy copy and paste:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Processor

Heatsink & Fan: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 680 4GB

RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB 4 x 8GB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero

Power Supply: SeaSonic X-1250 1250W

Case: Silverstone Fortress FT01-BW

Monitor: BenQ XL2420T

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90 Mechanical

Mouse: Logitech G9X Call of Duty: MW3 Edition

Headphones: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Analog

Microphone: Logitech Desktop USB

Hard Drives:

Plextor M5P Series 256GB PX-256M5P

Western Digital WD Black 4TB WD4003FZEX

HGST Deskstar 4TB HDS724040ALE640

Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1001FALS

Joysticks:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

CH Pro Pedals USB

Other:

TrackIR 4:Pro w/ TrackClip Pro

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe

APC Smart-UPS 1500

Cisco Catalyst 3560CG-8TC-S Compact Switch

Ratpadz XT

Don't plan any upgrades until the GTX 800 series... maybe. If its a minor improvement, then I'll wait some more. We already know its not going to use the next process, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a lot faster. Well there is one upgrade I want... a G-Sync monitor. Those have been slow to come out, but it shouldn't be too much longer now. One more thing, I'm dedicated to just using single-GPU solutions only. SLI/Crossfire has too many compromises and added expense for what you actually get.

Asrock Z77 Extreme4

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5ghz

Zalman 9900 Led

Asus Radeon HD7970 DCII Top OC

Corsair Gamer 800W

OCZ vertex gen 3 120gb SSD, some old smaller SSD and a big one for storage.

Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR3 1600mhz

Fractal Design R4

2x Samsung Syncmaster BX2431
Logitech G15 keyboard
Alienware TactX Mouse

Saitek x52 stick, throttle and rudder pedals.

At medium (1920x1024), i dont fall under 60 fps, at high (1920x1024) i get about 47-60 fps, at maxed out i get about 30-45 fps. Im just happy if i can run space in medium when it gets more optimized. I bet its time for an update to system closer to release anyway.

May as well post my whole system;

Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

CPU - Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

Ram - G.Skill 4GB DDR3 x2

GFX - Sapphire 280x Vapor-X x2 (XFire)

SFX - ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Monitor - ASUS VE276Q x2

HDD/SSD - 2TB Ext HDD, 2x1TB Int. HDD, 2x120gb Corsair SSD, 1x128gb Samsung SSD, 1x64gb Sandisk SSD, 1x300gb WD Raptor.

PSU - 1350w Thermaltake Toughpower Silver Ed.

Case - Antec Darkfleet 35

Peripherals - Logitech G19 KB, Logitech G500 Mouse, Logitech 5.1 Surround, Samson C01U Mic (PS01 pop-filter), Audio Technica M50x

I think that is it, currently..

• 3 weeks later...

I need to upgrade my PC in the next 6 months (currently running a Core2Quad Q9550 @3.67ghz), but I was originally aiming for the i5 4760K with 16gb RAM 1600. But now I have been looking at the socket 2011 i7 4790k with 16gb 2400 (got a lot cheaper) to help future proof my system more for the next 5 years.

I am pretty much paying the same for everything, it's just the CPU which is more than twice the price than the i5-1150. Is it worth it to spend more now for a stronger computer down the road? Or is it better to upgrade "cheaper" now, and upgrade again in say, 3 years for another "cheap" upgrade, rather than buying a strong system and upgrading every 5-6years?