zerkerz

Feedback Wanted 8GB ram vs 16GB ram for Star Citizen

Yes, you need 16GB ram, if you could take 64 that will be even better  :D.

Just kidding, if you are going to run a lot of games(SC), blender/photoshop in the moment you would probably need 16GB ram, I have 16GB ram and I currently running Watch-Dogs, Photoshop CS6, and PlanetSide2 at the moment and it flows great.

Nah you don't really need it unless you do heavy graphic/audio/video work. Games require far less at the moment. Better put that money towards other hardware. Most people just have it to show off, but it serves no function for them ;)

Nah you don't really need it unless you do heavy graphic/audio/video work. Games require far less at the moment. Better put that money towards other hardware. Most people just have it to show off, but it serves no function for them ;)

Dont even need 16GB ram for SC?

Go for 16GB RAM.  More is better and RAM is cheap.

My current system has 8GB and that's not enough for me since I use Photoshop and 3D modeling/animation programs a lot.  My upcoming Haswell-E build will be running at least 32GB.  If you are gaming, I would recommend 16GB at this point.

As far as we know now, and I would be amazed if that changed, you do not need 16GB.

8GB will do fine for SC.

If you *want* more RAM you can obviously buy it, you could stick to 8GB first too and always upgrade.

Since you probably do not need it and if you don't want to show off I would advise against it. RAM might not be a very expensive component compared to some others but it will still buy you a few beers while playing the DFM ;)

tl:dr; You probably don't need it. But it is obviously your own choice if you wish to buy more or not.

Dont even need 16GB ram for SC?

No application in the consumer realm can use more than 4GB of RAM, that's what 64-bit means, essentially. Same for 32-bit, those applications can only use a maximum of 2GB at any time. 

8GB+ RAM only comes into use when you're running lots of programs at the same time. Just buy a single 8GB stick for your motherboard and you'll have another 3 slots available to go all the way up to 32GB (if you ever have to)

I have 16GB so that I can happily run Spotify, any game I want, plus plenty of Chrome tabs and skype/vent etc without problems, plus I do a lot of rendering and photoshop work

I am upping mine to 32gb from 16, reason why is RAM last pretty much forever....in fact most RAM comes with lifetime warranty....so in a few years when games advanced in technology it isn't going to hurt to have more RAM. I say if you can max out your RAM not for today but for tomorrow.

Coming from me personally I would not go with 8GB in today's gaming yard 8GB is ok, Be mindful SC is a 2016 Game, as it progresses towards full release so too will its advances in using better tech and more resources, now im going to include my own gaming PC just sitting Idle with only this window, task manager & SC Hangar module loaded in the background running, look at whats being used out of my 32GB of ram.

1. So setting your system to fully utilize all the ram and not use your HDD or worse your SSD as a file buffer with the usual items like steam and origin also running in the background is going to push window 7 64-bit beyond the 7GB mark, thats with just the hangar module not the DFM yet.

2. So as you can see if windows is fully allowed to spread its wings so to speak plus running SC only with the other usual programs in the background then you would need More than 8GB to be in a very comfortable position, so ...

My advice to you or anyone is future proof yourself to save issues and arm yourself with 16GB, as someone already mentioned ... a little more will not hurt it will only make everything that bit smoother.

http://puu.sh/97d6e/a2d647ed16.jpg

Last Piece of Advice and a very good one in my eyes, If you have or think about getting a SSD(Solid State Drive), Please remember a few things...

1. an SSD must not DEFRAG as in you must not defrag a SSD it is bad for the drive because put in simple terms it require no defragging ever, it is always instant information when you need it.

2. Windows 7 and Windows 8 Users that have or get a SSD in there machines must turn of the Auto Defrag feature which is turned on by default on these machines.

DO NOT run Defrag on a SSD, Turn auto run off (win 7 should turn it off by default, but verify)

Some tips on using SSD:

Increase System Speed

Disable indexing

Description: Indexing creates and maintains a database of file attributes. This can lead to multiple small writes when creating/deleting/modifying files. Searching for files will still work.

Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Windows Search -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

Disable defragmentation

Description: Defragmenting a hard disk's used space is only useful on mechanical disks with multi-millisecond latencies. Free-space defragmentation may be useful to SSDs, but this feature is not available in the default Windows Defragmenter.

Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Disk Defragmenter -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

Disable Write Caching

Description: There is no cache on the SSD, so there are no benefits to write caching. There are conflicting reports on whether this gains speed or not.

Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Disk drives -> Right-Click STEC PATA -> Properties -> Policies Tab -> Uncheck Enable write caching -> OK

Configure Superfetch

Description: Frees up RAM by not preloading program files.

Instructions: On second glance, I would recommend leaving this one alone. However, there are some customizations that you can follow in the post below.

Free up extra drive space

Disable the Page File (Better Yet, set your virtual memory to your Mecanical HHD, NOTE I left some virtual memory ON)

Description: Eliminate writing memory to the SSD, free over 2GB of disk space. Warning - If you run out of memory the program you're using will crash.Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Settings (Performance) -> Advanced Tab -> Change -> Uncheck Automatically manage -> No paging file -> Set -> OK -> Restart your computer

Alternatively, if you want to play it safer, you can set a custom size of 200MB min and max.

Disable System Restore

Description: Don't write backup copies of files when installing new programs or making system changes. Can free up between a few hundred MB to a couple GB. Warning - Although unlikely, if a driver installation corrupts your system, there won't be an automatic way to recover.

Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> System Protection Tab -> Configure -> Turn off system protection -> Delete -> OK

Disable Hibernate

Description: You may free up 1GB of space on the SSD if you have 1GB of memory, 2GB of space if you have 2GB memory. You will lose the hibernation feature which allows the equivalent of quick boots and shutdowns.

Instructions: Start Menu -> Type cmd -> Right-Click the cmd Icon -> Run as Administrator -> Type powercfg -h off -> Type exit

Warmest Regards to all

Icey

Ice, I, unfortunately, must disagree with you here. My main rig runs on 32GB but  I am currently on my laptop with 8GB. I cannot get it near the 7GB mark with the applications (and probably more since I use a crapload of FF tabs everytime I start FF). 6GB tops and that is when I try hard with extra background programs.

SSD is a neat feature but sticking to the question of the RAM I cannot honestly say he needs 16GB. May be nice and he may be able to run half of all his other installed programs next to it but for SC.. nah.

Ice, I, unfortunately, must disagree with you here. My main rig runs on 32GB but  I am currently on my laptop with 8GB. I cannot get it near the 7GB mark with the applications (and probably more since I use a crapload of FF tabs everytime I start FF). 6GB tops and that is when I try hard with extra background programs.

SSD is a neat feature but sticking to the question of the RAM I cannot honestly say he needs 16GB. May be nice and he may be able to run half of all his other installed programs next to it but for SC.. nah.

I get your point, im just pointing out my own stats running windows 7 and the hangar module then alt tabbing and bringing up the task manager, the figures dont lie bud. only other things I have running is Norton, Steam, Origin, Pidgeon, Audio Driver Panel.

Also remember im making sure his memory is fine for 2016 SC launch which is im sure what he also wants.

Now go back a step to your laptop...

I am currently on my laptop with 8GB. I cannot get it near the 7GB mark with the applications (and probably more since I use a crapload of FF tabs everytime I start FF). 6GB tops

if you only have 8GB ram its gonna buffer through your HDD or SSD and thats why you cant hit over 6 or 6.5GB...

Get on your desktop with 32gb and let it fly and take a look windows will try its hardest to save memory so thats your laptop for ya :)

also remember i was running the hangar module in the background to simulate some SC 

I get your point im just pointing out my own stats running windows 7 and the hangar module then alt tabbing and bringing up the task manager, the figures dont lie bud. only other things I have running is Norton, Steam, Origin, Pidgeon, Audio Driver Panel

Aye but I have the same thing on my laptop going to 5.61GB MAX with AVG, Steam, FireFox, Spotify, Dropbox and some misc stuff besides the DFM as I pointed out.

I see your 16 and I raise you 16....

32 is the answer....not because I think you need it...but it is just nice to have.

Like the other guys have said...there is no point in shorting yourself...at least get the 16.

That way you can have anything open you want and have plenty of RAM to spare.

I plan to have my 3 monitor display focused on the game....

But I will have a 4th monitor on the side running TS,  Pidgeon, Skype, AVG, Dropbox, Chrome with a ton of tabs open, Google Play (for some background music)...

Will this use up 32 Gb of RAM...nope not even close...but I won't have to worry about it acting sluggish either.