so I'm getting about $200 for star citizen for my birthday and I looked into all of the ships (I don't have any ships yet) but I can't decide, should I take the freelancer and 325A or a hornet and 315P or should I take a cutlass and a 325A? obviosly the cutlass is a bit problematic because of the strict "no pirates" rule but I can always use it as a rescue ship, and the freelancer, well it's nice, but it would be destroyed in exploration by a constellation. but should I even put my money into a large ship, why not take a hornet and focus on dogfighting, or why not go BIG and get a constellation? I have no idea what to do so any advice would help, thanks (FIX - also, I can add more for a constellation out of my own pocket, I know how much it costs)

you can use the cutlass just because it may be used by pirates more than other ships dosent mean you cant use it, imperium is against piracy not pirate ships.if your not sure what you want to do go with the constellation because its a multi purpose ship, but keep in mind all the ships are somewhat modular so you can customize each one for a specific use, if you had a strict budget of $200 i would go cutlass and the 325A that's a very versatile selection.

thanks, the only problem I see with the constellation is that it's probably not going to be in the dogfight module and I coulden't afford another ship, but I'll take it in consideration.

thanks, the only problem I see with the constellation is that it's probably not going to be in the dogfight module and I coulden't afford another ship, but I'll take it in consideration.

your right but the second version of the dogfight module will so around that time you'll be able to make the ample decision :) but yeah the cutlass is going to kick ass so if you go that route im sure you'll be satisfied 

They will give you a hornet till you get the conny to play in dfm 2.0

If you would buy the Constellation you would play with the hornet in the first DF because it has most similar price to the hornet.

And after a few versions you would play with the Constellation (I would be your co-pilot rifos ;)). 

Keep in mind that the Constellation is a multi-crew ship; you'll need to either have a buddy (or two/three) fly with you, or hire NPCs to perform at optimal levels. 

That said, the Freelancer will not be "destroyed" by the constellation in an exploration setting. The freelancer boasts higher efficiency and lower operating costs than the constellation, as it only requires 1 or 2 crew members and has 2 engines rather than 4, thus requiring less fuel. 

As was stated before, you will get "loaner" ships for DFM if you do not own one of the ship types that is available to be flown yet. For example, I own an m50, an Avenger and a Freelancer...I expect to receive a loaner hornet and/or 300i to fly during DFM v1 until the Avenger is available to fly.

If you're asking for opinion, I'd personally go for Freelancer and 325a, as both are more solo-friendly than the Constellation, and I want to earn a Constellation in-game rather than pledge for it right now. Obviously this is completely up to you though, and I'd advise you to take everyone's opinions lightly and do your own research before deciding. There are lots of amazing threads on Imperium Base that argue for and against each ship.

Good Luck!

@~RIFO~ depends what game style you want to play.

If you want to do combat ops take the hornet and 325i,

If you want to do trade and industry take the freelancer and 300i ( thats if you want to buy 2 ships)

Exploration freelancer and 350i

I am going to assume that you have already pledged, and as such, will have access to the beta, etc.

To which I suggest, if you are getting the money, why not sit on it and wait for the DFM to have those ship models released. Sure, you can't use them in the DFM if you have not already obtained them, still, SC is very open to the modding community, and it will only be a manner of time until someone makes a mod in which you can 'crash' test the ships hidden to you in the code in some manner.

This game is about personal freedom, I simply wish to point that out.

It is unavoidable, but that means nothing, for there are few things I enjoy more than irony.