Ship Comparison chart

Praeturus

I still can't find it lol. @Praeturus where did you find this image? I've been searching google images for weeks typing in "Ship Comparison charts" It pulls up the image above but only in sizes of 820x760 or max 1250x780. You just saved me another week of looking for this  :parrot:  Cheers

lol I was just searching around and stumbled on it randomly. If it's the Bengal Carrier you are having trouble finding just find that huge independence day ship near the bottom left and look above the right side of it and you should find the tiny tiny bengal carrier. Really gives a scale to how tiny we will be in all our ships ahah

Really gives a scale to how tiny we will be in all our ships ahah

Size is always a very subjective feel. Even the standard Star Destroyer is very small on that image.

A Nimitz class carrier is only a third of the Bengal. But noone would probably describe it as small after having seen one from up close.

The EVE titans and some other ships from bad movies are of course ridicolously large. But there is no skill in making a bad model or computer model and scaling it up to multiple kilometers.

I feel it will be the detail that will really show the impressive size of the Bengal and other SC capships.

Great Image !!!  ----- The problem is they didn't put the really big ships on there.  They have the Babylon 5 ships....... but they didn't Include the Shadows Planet Killer (a geodesic structure).... or the Vorlon's Planet Killer.  They also forgot the Death Star from Star Wars.

They also forgot the BIGGEST ship seen to date in SCI-FI........... V'ger    from Star Trek The Motion Picture (the First Star Trek Movie)..... :ph34r:

@DarkRed (or anyone)

Care to post a graphic.....  the BIGGEST ship seen to date in SCI-FI........... V'ger    from Star Trek The Motion Picture (the First Star Trek Movie)..... :ph34r: ???

I bet it would dwarf the Death Star by a lot.

The key is Post a picture of the Energy Cloud Diameter (since it like a moving "star" with a "core" - the ship).

================

Here is from the Wiki ---- >>>>>>

Surrounding energy cloud diameter of two astronomical units, equal to that of the Earth's orbit.

The physical size of V'Ger has been the subject of speculation from the time Star Trek: The Motion Picture was first released at the end of 1979. One popular non-canon site for Star Trek technical details, the Daystrom Institute Technical Library, listed V'Ger's overall length at a staggering ninety-seven kilometers, stated as being determined from apparently careful measurement of the image of the refitted NCC-1701 from the movie's scenes, as the Enterprise traveled closely (at only 500 meters distance, from the movie's dialogue) over the various parts of V'Ger's exterior structures, during the Federation starship's initial close examination of the "intruder" vessel. Another estimate places V'Ger's colossal length at a much more conservative twenty kilometers instead, possibly based on the statement of replacement navigator DiFalco's "distance inside the intruder as 17 kilometers", spoken just after Chekov reports that V'Ger's "orbiting devices" were eighteen minutes from reaching their equidistant deployment points in Earth orbit, during the approach to Voyager 6's "island", in the most extreme part of V'Ger's interior that the Enterprise was allowed access to. The latter estimate, however, would make V'Ger impossibly smaller than the roughly seventy kilometer-long Whale Probe featured in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, given that the latter was passed by a Federation starship within minutes, rather than the near-hour it took to traverse even half of V'Ger at faster pace.

Where no certainty has yet been shown as to where the "Voyager 6 island" structure was exactly located within V'Ger's immense interior length, such speculation might be likely to continue for some time to come.

The second death star is 900km in diameter according to the Star Wars Wiki.

As for V'ger, the energy cloud extends to 82 AU. That's around 1.22x10^10 km is size . :parrot:

that would be 13 555 555 times bigger than the second death star.

If you were to put the two in the same picture, the death star would be under a pixel in size, as the cloud is as big as a solar system.

Wow! This is amazing! thanks for sharing.

It made me really curious as to how large a death star was. So I did a bit of research, and made this picture (using independence day mother ships for scale)

(also I resized it so the file size wont be too huge) 

11i1nh3.jpg

I hate that Lucasarts or whoever decided to upscale the Second Death Star to 900 km in diameter. I mean... WHY!? For nearly 30 years the specs stated the First Death Star was 120 km in diameter, and the Second was 160 km. We all know that the Second Death Star was bigger and more powerful than the First, so why does it have to be like a thousand times more massive? It's completely unnecessary, and didn't need to be changed.

One of the biggest arguments against the upscaling of the Second Death Star is the original logical criticism against it when it was only 160 km, which is: How could the Empire build the Second Death Star in 4 years when the original took 18 years to complete?

Another argument against it is why did the SDS have to be 1000 times larger when the FGS's Superlaser worked perfectly fine? The Empire could've built more than 100 First Death Stars (with screened auxiliary thermal exhaust ports to resolve the fatal flaw of the original) with the construction material they used for the 900 km SDS. Wouldn't 100 planet-killing terror weapons be better than one giant planet-killing terror weapon?

I kinda think that George Lucas was PO'd that larger space super-constructs than the Death Star existed in the fictional sci-fi omniverse, so 5 minutes before he sold his empire to Disney he declared: "Hey! The Second Death Star was 900 km in diameter! Star Wars = winning! Suck it, nerds!"  :rolleyes:

IMO, it doesn't matter which is the largest "space ship" in the fictional sci-fi omniverse. Anyone could create a fictional space ship and say it's however large they want. Then 5 seconds later another douche could say their new fictional space ship is twice the same as the first douche's ship. Who cares!?

I only care that the ships in STAR CITIZEN look incredible. The Bengal Carrier is the coolest "space carrier" I've ever seen. It's super-detailed, the design makes perfect sense, and it's the UEE Navy's "most powerful warship".

I'm also interested in seeing the Vanduul Kingship Carrier / Flagship in greater detail. The fact that it's 600 metres longer than the Bengal Carrier doesn't make it "better". I want to see more concept art and pics, and a 3D model of the final design, and read the ship's specs. That's what will determine how awesome the Vanduul Kingship is. :)

IMO, it doesn't matter which is the largest "space ship" in the fictional sci-fi omniverse. Anyone could create a fictional space ship and say it's however large they want. Then 5 seconds later another douche could say their new fictional space ship is twice the same as the first douche's ship. Who cares!?

It's not quite that simple.  I agree with you that the second Death Star should not have been larger than the first.  However there is justification for V'ger to be 82 AU's in Diameter (and it is not as simple as saying - this is Sci-Fi so I can just make the ship "I conceive" as being as big "as I want to") ----- unlike the size justification for the 2nd Death Star.  V'ger was at the stage of evolution where it could transcend this reality.  Prior to this "transcendence" the Ship as shown and conceived was of a size that made sense relative to its technology level and using an energy cloud that expanded well beyond the ship itself makes more sense than just increasing the volume of matter for the ship itself.

Speaking of Transcendence... and the question of "who cares".... There are two good Sci-Fi movies in theaters now.  People that care about human relationships will appreciate Divergence more... people that care about intellectual evolutionary ideas will like Transcendence more.

As for Large Objects in Star Citizen -- there is something larger than a Bengal Carrier and a Vanduul Kingship.  That is Synthworld.  There is also an intellectual justification for Synthworld (as an alternative to Terraforming) - but it is bankrupting the UEE (and this weakness of economy and the drain Synthworld is having is opening up the UEE to a Vanduul invasion).