Welcome to Star Citizen Base

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

thehumangerm

MISC FREELANCER!

292 posts in this topic

Wow, that is WAY better looking than the old cockpit.

Yeah i know what you mean :) i can't wait till the update to the hanger hits for it and hopfully they made a little more foot room to walk to you cockpit i always get stuck :P and i'm also excided about how he said we will bee seeing a lot more of the freelancer this year :)

Posted ImageLoving the new look hopefully it's more maneuverable than the current specs too.  Also hope they do a little optimization of the hanger module so it can run better.  :)

I'm pleased that CIG changed the cockpit layout, because there was no question the previous version had poor visibility, and needed to be changed. But I'm glad they didn't take it to the extreme of an all-glass cockpit, like the Constellation, which some people were asking for. The ship manufactures should have different characteristics that differentiate them, which means that MISC shouldn't ape RSI's all-glass cockpit designs. :P

[...] I just went into my hangar and realized that the Freelancer has 16 small thrusters. (10 along the belly, 2 on top, and 2 at the front of each main thruster aperture). Also, they are of varying sizes. I'm really looking forward to seeing the brochure when it comes out with updated specs.

[...]

8 circles x2 = 16 total

I'm really happy to see that this is the case. 16 maneuvering thrusters will be fun, and I really hope that doesn't change.

[...]

The Freelancer definitely has more than 8 maneuvering thrusters. Just like the Cutlass has more than a single main engine.

[...]

Much as I'd like to agree (as a fellow Lancer owner), I just noticed this in the WIP post about the freelancer:

Posted Image

I feel the "8 thrusters" thing might be a permanent aspect of the design of the Freelancer. Certainly looks like CR had an idea of what he wanted during the design of the ship. Then again, it's possible someone changed his mind late in the game...

Do we know whether the maneuvering thrusters on other ships are supposed to be articulated like the ones on the Lancer?

Honestly I don't think it matters how many of x there is on each ship. The Freelancer is supposed to be the least maneuverable of the sub-connie sized ships. Presumably not entirely immobile, but definitely less so than the fighters.

If it ends up being 16 mt anyway, and that makes the Freelancer too maneuverable, they will just nerf it until it fits within the archetype CIG intended for it.

It's entirely possible they'll just decide x of them are only used when landing, and divert power from the main engines. Or that we will see yet another iteration on the Freelancer "correcting" this.

The Freelancer role/archetype is quite clear from a game design and balance point of view, it's a hauler/explorer with some pretty heavy forward firepower. For it to be balanced it has to have drawbacks, and these would presumably be speed/maneuverability. Otherwise it'll just completely invalidate the smaller explorer/haulers like the 315p. 

Still, I expect it to be reasonably capable. And after the back ramp and window fixes I have no worries they won't make sure it works well for us in the PU. And I'm really happy it has gotten such a characterful interior. It really feels like something I'll enjoy flying and walking around in.

Feels like something I will Enjoy extended missions in to deep space that's for sure, I hope when the update the cockpit they make it easier to get to the front The walk way starts to get thin at the front lol Also anyone know that turret in the back will help out with any fighting breaking out it defiantly looks like a ship that can't turn on a dime but from what CR said about naving jump points they can have it to hard to maneuver maybe the exploration variant will have more thrusters but less cargo :/

Honestly I don't think it matters how many of x there is on each ship. The Freelancer is supposed to be the least maneuverable of the sub-connie sized ships. Presumably not entirely immobile, but definitely less so than the fighters.

Sorry that info is very wrong, the freelancer is going to be very agile for a ship it's size and class, this was confirmed in one of the jump points when they mentioned the alien tech thrusters. Especially if you config and set the ship up for speed and agility. It has the ability to maneuver better than any other dedicated transport ship.

With the range of a transport ship plus room to install advanced advanced scanning and jump technology as well as a noted engine upgrade capacity and the ability to maneuver better than any other dedicated transport ship.

It is also said to be very cost effective, the ship of choice for dedicated explorers, can fill many of the same roles as the constellation but with less crew. It also has quite a large power plant for a ship it's size allowing for a lot more electronics and upgrades compared to ships in it's class size. Meaning you could probably set it up with a lot of electronic warfare defense stuff if you wanted to and have the power to do it but that might actually make you a lot more detectable.

Silveryn likes this

Sorry that info is very wrong, the freelancer is going to be very agile for a ship it's size and class, this was confirmed in one of the jump points when they mentioned the alien tech thrusters. Especially if you config and set the ship up for speed and agility. It has the ability to maneuver better than any other dedicated transport ship.

It is also said to be very cost effective, the ship of choice for dedicated explorers, can fill many of the same roles as the constellation but with less crew. It also has quite a large power plant for a ship it's size allowing for a lot more electronics and upgrades compared to ships in it's class size. Meaning you could probably set it up with a lot of electronic warfare defense stuff if you wanted to and have the power to do it but that might actually make you a lot more detectable.

That's a good point-- the whole Xi'an tech aspect of the Freelancer, and the fact that the maneuvering thrusters are "XiTech" is kinda promising. While the ship doesn't look thrillingly maneuverable, I can imagine it being quite suprising. Even if the XiTech thrusters disappoint, I think the primary engines will provide plenty of linear speed. And let's not forget that it's an awesome, spacious, upgradeable ship. 

You are not contradicting me. I didn't mean it would be a flying brick, I meant is would be less maneuverable than the fighters. It may be the most maneuverable within it's own transport class, like I'm sure it'll leave the Caterpillar in the dust. But Hornets, Cutlasses, and down, will definitely outclass it in these areas. Every ship has to have some kind of weakness, and the rear turret kinda indicates it won't be able to just point the guns and shoot like some of the smaller more nimble craft. Still, I expect it not to be terribly far from the other sub-connie ships.

As for the Xi'an thrusters, we don't really know much about them. For all we know they may be more powerful, but they may as well be more stealthy, use less energy/fuel, have more HP, cause less heat, or be more resistant to EMP. There is no reason to specifically presume they are just straight up more powerful.

You are not contradicting me. I didn't mean it would be a flying brick, I meant is would be less maneuverable than the fighters. It may be the most maneuverable within it's own transport class, like I'm sure it'll leave the Caterpillar in the dust. But Hornets, Cutlasses, and down, will definitely outclass it in these areas. Every ship has to have some kind of weakness, and the rear turret kinda indicates it won't be able to just point the guns and shoot like some of the smaller more nimble craft. Still, I expect it not to be terribly far from the other sub-connie ships.

As for the Xi'an thrusters, we don't really know much about them. For all we know they may be more powerful, but they may as well be more stealthy, use less energy/fuel, have more HP, cause less heat, or be more resistant to EMP. There is no reason to specifically presume they are just straight up more powerful.

I am just saying what it said in the subscribers jump point 11 from October which was all about the freelancer.

We do know that the Xi'an thrusters are powerful enough for then to forgo a main engine on their scout ship. While it doesnt speak to specifics it does imply they are pretty dang powerful.

We do know that the Xi'an thrusters are powerful enough for then to forgo a main engine on their scout ship. While it doesnt speak to specifics it does imply they are pretty dang powerful.

18 x t2, yes.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13396-Star-Citizen-Anniversary-Livestream-Sale

But that is an unprecedented amount, and for a scoutship. Which I suspect is lighter than a transport. I'd personally suspect it has more to do with the number of thrusters than them being that much more powerful. A t2 is still a t2, even if a very good t2.

And again I don't think we are disagreeing. The Freelancer will probably be maneuverable for a transport. But that is comparing it to Caterpillars and Starfarers (possibly Connie). It's not going to be flying circles around the ships smaller than a Connie no matter how we cut it. 

I only have the Freelancer, so it's not like I'm biased against it. I hope it'll be nimble enough to bring those big side cannons to bear, but I highly doubt I'll be outmaneuvering Cutlasses and Avengers. (unless of course I slam every last upgrade slot and penny into doing so, but I kinda want to be able to scan and take hits as well)

Three setups I plan to try out.

Baitlancer / Tanklancer

Battlelancer

Racelancer

That is all.

Heh. I do look forward to using the Lancer in a variety of roles! It's pretty upgradeable, so I'm thinking advanced sensor packages and a tractor beam if possible: salvage/exploration ship. With twice the cargo of the Cutlass!

The reason why I was reluctant to buy a Freelancer for the longest time was that I believed the Freelancer would be Pirate-fodder. Second to the Starfarer, it has the largest gap between its cargo capacity and defensive capabilities, which will probably make them fat and juicy prey for Pirates.

I hope that as we draw closer to launch we find out that the Freelancer can be viable out on its own.  It's being marketed as a potential exploration ship so it would need to hold its own through weapons, speed or stealth.  I'm considering upgrading from the Aurora to the Freelancer just for that reason.  Exploration with some hauling mixed in to pay the bills sounds like the perfect way to go for me.  2hrs 30mins and I think i'll be melting my Aurora down.  :-)

Heh. I do look forward to using the Lancer in a variety of roles! It's pretty upgradeable, so I'm thinking advanced sensor packages and a tractor beam if possible: salvage/exploration ship. With twice the cargo of the Cutlass!

This. I am planning on using it in both a smuggling/trading business, but also as a possible means of military support if you are able to equip it with sensor packages or some other support role. Let's not forget that as of now, it's got a pretty sturdy shield set up and the weapon systems it is capable of possessing aren't exactly something to be laughed at.

I went ahead and switched out my pledge from the Aurora to the Freelancer and i'm psyched.  When i'm not hauling for the fleet i'll be out as far as I can go.

I hope that as we draw closer to launch we find out that the Freelancer can be viable out on its own.  It's being marketed as a potential exploration ship so it would need to hold its own through weapons, speed or stealth.  I'm considering upgrading from the Aurora to the Freelancer just for that reason.  Exploration with some hauling mixed in to pay the bills sounds like the perfect way to go for me.  2hrs 30mins and I think i'll be melting my Aurora down.  :-)

The name pretty much implies it's a go out on your own ship. I'm sure it will have some method of dealing with Piracy. That being said, as large as Imperium is now, friendlies should never really be too far away! Send out a distress call!

I plan to buy one pretty early in the P.U. to use for exploration. I'll have to wait and see what works in game, but I am aiming for a balance of sensors, speed to get away, and efficiency. I will also look for stealth if I can get it, but forgo worrying about cargo and firepower. I will run from fights, and focus on tagging resources and looking for that jump point with my name on it...  ;-)