MISC FREELANCER!

thehumangerm

I'm assembling a personal fleet of ships for specific roles. I wanted a dedicated Exploration Ship and was considering the 315p to fill this role, but I chose the Freelancer instead because its description states that its focus is Long-Range Exploration. Also, if the speculation and rumours are true, the Freelancer has hybrid Xi'an alien tech that supposedly has certain advantages over human tech. Possibly superior sensors, more efficient long-range engines and/or Jump-Drive, easier navigation of new jump-points, etc.. All of that is just speculation, AFAIK, but it seems reasonable for an exploration ship. I understand that the Constellation is the superior ship in most respects -- which is why it was the first ship I pledged for -- but I want the Freelancer to be my dedicated Exploration Ship.

I captured this from the holodesk; it shows the Behring Mk VI laser 'cannons'. Notice the puny damage. If these are Mk VI, wonder how they compare to the base M3A lasers and uprated M4A lasers on the Constellation. Anyone got a screencap of that? Granted, these are still subject to change...

Posted Image

I'm assembling a personal fleet of ships for specific roles. I wanted a dedicated Exploration Ship and was considering the 315p to fill this role, but I chose the Freelancer instead because its description states that its focus is Long-Range Exploration. Also, if the speculation and rumours are true, the Freelancer has hybrid Xi'an alien tech that supposedly has certain advantages over human tech. Possibly superior sensors, more efficient long-range engines and/or Jump-Drive, easier navigation of new jump-points, etc.. All of that is just speculation, AFAIK, but it seems reasonable for an exploration ship. I understand that the Constellation is the superior ship in most respects -- which is why it was the first ship I pledged for -- but I want the Freelancer to be my dedicated Exploration Ship.

I like my 315p alot because it comes with jumpdrive and tractor beam.

Does the Freelancer have a jumpdrive? And is it possible to equip a Freelancer with a tractor beam? If so I might melt my 315p for it :).

The Freelancer's Ship Specs includes a Tarsus Leaper Jump Engine under Additional Equipment -- however, we know from experience that the base model doesn't come with everything that the pre-brochure specs indicate -- after the brochure is released the specs are revised to reflect the different models that are available.

Regardless, I plan on buying the Exploration model of the Freelancer, which I am certain will include a Jump Engine.

As for a Tractor Beam, the Freelancer definitely can equip one; the current ship specs don't include a Tractor Beam (neither did the 300i's), and I don't know if the Exploration model will have a Tractor Beam, but there's a strong possibility it will -- probably in the aft turret.

It would be a good idea to see what the Freelancer's brochure has to offer; if the Exploration model has everything that your 315p has and more, it might be worthwhile to reclaim it and up your pledge to the Exploration Freelancer. :)

A rear-facing Tractor Beam would be more useful for towing, and it could pull objects directly into the aft cargo doors.

If you fly solo, you might need to move to the aft turret to operate the Tractor Beam, but it might be possible to operate it remotely from the pilot's seat -- which might require an upgrade. I think that if the F7A's ball turret can be operated by the Hornet pilot's head movements, then it should be possible for a Freelancer pilot to remotely operate the ship's aft turret. :)

Or, I suppose you could mount the tractor beam on one of the Freelancer's side-mounted Class-2 hardpoints, if you prefer a forward-facing Tractor Beam.

Is it worth buying the Freelancer? I thought it was too similar to the Constellation?

Also it will require less crew to operate effectively. Yeah it's smaller, not as much cargo etc...but if you just was to explore in a ship that will be less expensive to operate (don't have to pay a bunch of NPCs) maybe even attract less attention...than the Freelancer could be considered a better choice than our beloved Connie for that role.

I want to get one but I just can't part with the $110 right now...or can I? UUUUGH! I'm trying to be good and wait.

A rear-facing Tractor Beam would be more useful for towing, and it could pull objects directly into the aft cargo doors.

If you fly solo, you might need to move to the aft turret to operate the Tractor Beam, but it might be possible to operate it remotely from the pilot's seat -- which might require an upgrade. I think that if the F7A's ball turret can be operated by the Hornet pilot's head movements, then it should be possible for a Freelancer pilot to remotely operate the ship's aft turret. :)

Or, I suppose you could mount the tractor beam on one of the Freelancer's side-mounted Class-2 hardpoints, if you prefer a forward-facing Tractor Beam.

You're right, a tractor beam on the turret could be very usefull since the freelancer is pretty big.

I realy hope that it will be possible to controll the turret like the ballturret, it would be perfect!

Also it will require less crew to operate effectively. Yeah it's smaller, not as much cargo etc...but if you just was to explore in a ship that will be less expensive to operate (don't have to pay a bunch of NPCs) maybe even attract less attention...than the Freelancer could be considered a better choice than our beloved Connie for that role. I want to get one but I just can't part with the $110 right now...or can I? UUUUGH! I'm trying to be good and wait.

The reason why I was reluctant to buy a Freelancer for the longest time was that I believed the Freelancer would be Pirate-fodder. Second to the Starfarer, it has the largest gap between its cargo capacity and defensive capabilities, which will probably make them fat and juicy prey for Pirates. Whereas a Constellation has an excellent balance of cargo capacity, firepower, speed, versatility, and the unique ability to carry a snubfighter. I expect that Pirates will be far more reluctant to take on a Constellation than a Freelancer -- regardless if the ship is crewed or solo-piloted. Admittedly, that's what I thought back when I only had the Constellation, and I was looking to add more ships to my personal fleet, so the Freelancer was way down on my list of ships to acquire. Since then, I've acquired nearly all of the ships that I want -- the one exception being a Vanduul Scythe Fighter -- so I just recently got around to the Freelancer. I'm sure there will be a dedicated Exploration model of the Freelancer when the brochure is released, with everything the 315p Exploration ship has, and more. :) What I'm really hoping for is a Smuggler or Blockade Runner model (possibly the Limited Edition) that has faster engines (possibly twin engines for each side), sensor-shielded smuggling compartments (Millennium Falcon-style), and is fully loaded with weapons. That would definitely be the Freelancer for me! B)

Ok Reavern what you're not understanding is, you are not supposed to talk about how cool the variants might be when I am already twitching like a crack addict, trying NOT to buy it!

....I'm...losing...controoooool...

Just buy it already. You know you want it....No you Need it! Join the herd!

Buy.....buy.....buy!

Speaking of buying, i didn't have any money at the time of 350r release, and now i want one =(

AFAIK i'm complying with the rules here since i'm not actively asking if anyone......you know =P 

If i'm wrong then i'm sure a mod will edit this

• 1 month later...

The reason why I was reluctant to buy a Freelancer for the longest time was that I believed the Freelancer would be Pirate-fodder. Second to the Starfarer, it has the largest gap between its cargo capacity and defensive capabilities, which will probably make them fat and juicy prey for Pirates. Whereas a Constellation has an excellent balance of cargo capacity, firepower, speed, versatility, and the unique ability to carry a snubfighter. I expect that Pirates will be far more reluctant to take on a Constellation than a Freelancer -- regardless if the ship is crewed or solo-piloted. Admittedly, that's what I thought back when I only had the Constellation, and I was looking to add more ships to my personal fleet, so the Freelancer was way down on my list of ships to acquire. Since then, I've acquired nearly all of the ships that I want -- the one exception being a Vanduul Scythe Fighter -- so I just recently got around to the Freelancer. I'm sure there will be a dedicated Exploration model of the Freelancer when the brochure is released, with everything the 315p Exploration ship has, and more. :) What I'm really hoping for is a Smuggler or Blockade Runner model (possibly the Limited Edition) that has faster engines (possibly twin engines for each side), sensor-shielded smuggling compartments (Millennium Falcon-style), and is fully loaded with weapons. That would definitely be the Freelancer for me! B)

Yes in a freelancer you would be less maneuverable than a smaller ship but I am most certain it could outrun lower class ships as well as has jump capability. In the mean time they would be taking some heavy damage from possible alien modified weaponry. Games like this are designed for balance and I highly doubt Chris would let a ship called freelancer be a bullet target. Also the name freelancer refers to someone that works for no one. They are a free agent. A ship designed with that in mind would have to be able to hold there own in a fight. At least a short one until you can jump away.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of which, I just went into my hangar and realized that the Freelancer has 16 small thrusters. (10 along the belly, 2 on top, and 2 at the front of each main thruster aperture). Also, they are of varying sizes. I'm really looking forward to seeing the brochure when it comes out with updated specs.

I've included a pic of the freelancer that I (horribly) attempted to circle all the thrusters on the starboard half of the ship. 

Posted Image

8 circles x2 = 16 total

Speaking of which, I just went into my hangar and realized that the Freelancer has 16 small thrusters. (10 along the belly, 2 on top, and 2 at the front of each main thruster aperture). Also, they are of varying sizes. I'm really looking forward to seeing the brochure when it comes out with updated specs.

I've included a pic of the freelancer that I (horribly) attempted to circle all the thrusters on the starboard half of the ship. 

Posted Image

8 circles x2 = 16 total

Xi'an Empire Thrusters! MISC Xi-Tech x 8 TR2's. It's going to be a lot more agile than people give it credit I think.

Never rely on the Ship Specs for information about the ships, because they're notoriously UNRELIABLE. Use your EYES and common sense. :D The Freelancer definitely has more than 8 maneuvering thrusters. Just like the Cutlass has more than a single main engine. I expect that the Freelancer will have good maneuverability, but don't count on it being as fast or agile as a Hornet or other starfighter just because it has a lot of thrusters. The Freelancer weighs 55 tons, more than double a Hornet and 300 series. Even with extra thrusters it's not going to outmaneuver them. I expect those thrusters will be more useful for Jump Point navigation and for mining and salvage operations. :)

Never rely on the Ship Specs for information about the ships, because they're notoriously UNRELIABLE. Use your EYES and common sense. :D The Freelancer definitely has more than 8 maneuvering thrusters. Just like the Cutlass has more than a single main engine. I expect that the Freelancer will have good maneuverability, but don't count on it being as fast or agile as a Hornet or other starfighter just because it has a lot of thrusters. The Freelancer weighs 55 tons, more than double a Hornet and 300 series. Even with extra thrusters it's not going to outmaneuver them. I expect those thrusters will be more useful for Jump Point navigation and for mining and salvage operations. :)

Hoping the same thing, they finally changed the ship stats page and updated some stuff by the way. Cutlass stats now have 2 x TR4's. Avenger got a few changes but as with everything in the development of the game anything can change. Also the constellation is apparently not listed anymore as "space superiority" it is now classified as a "multi purpose ship" but the super hornet is now classified as "space superiority".

• 2 months later...