MISC FREELANCER!

thehumangerm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I upgraded from Herald to Hornet and then to Freelancer.  I have Cutlass Black as my everyday mission runner/fighter, and I don't see myself as a dedicated fighter pilot, hence the upgrade.  

My question is, should I stick with Freelancer Base or upgrade to DUR?  Obviously, my interest is Exploration, but seeing how it will not come into play until 4.0, it'd be a waste just sitting in a hangar.  What I am afraid of is that CIG will cancel CCUs and I'll be stuck with a base without a possibility to upgrade.  What are your thoughts on that?

Going to CCU my Gladius to a MIS in my Armada Package. Don't need with when I have both a Sabre and Hornet (and Vanguard).

I did something similar with my Armada pack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I am wondering if the Mx is even worth it if it cannot go through small jump points. With a $10 difference between it and the taurus, which holds twice the cargo, what could be the advantage of the Max as each has one turret and each can be adequately piloted by one individual. 

That's really the point of contention imho - it's the selling point of the FL.

If it can go through small jump points then it's the king of smalls and has that edge.

if it can't go through small jump points then the FL is merely a stepping point to a Connie. It's a wasted ship.

All the variants have their own charm, but really, a Connie could do them all .. possibly better.

18 hours ago, NewzyOne said:

That's really the point of contention imho - it's the selling point of the FL.

If it can go through small jump points then it's the king of smalls and has that edge.

if it can't go through small jump points then the FL is merely a stepping point to a Connie. It's a wasted ship.

All the variants have their own charm, but really, a Connie could do them all .. possibly better.

I've said before that the MAX's engine design is poor. There's no logical reason for placing the double engines side-by-side, thereby making the MAX wider than the base Freelancer. The double engines could easily be stacked on top of each other instead. If the MAX was only 15 metres wide, same as the base Freelancer, its width would be 11 metres less than the Constellation Taurus and it would be more plausible that the MAX could fit through small jump points. That would justify the MAX's existence and price point, because it could use any size jump point and go where the Taurus couldn't.

CIG has already re-designed the base Freelancer and the variant models are due to be re-designed as well. I sincerely hope that CIG improves the MAX by vertically stacking the double engines and keeping its width the same as the base Freelancer.

20 hours ago, Reavern said:

I sincerely hope that CIG improves the MAX by vertically stacking the double engines and keeping its width the same as the base Freelancer.

I don't think they will though... those engines are kind of iconic. It may not make any sense, and you may lose vertical maneuverability with them side-by-side, and they may be a wider target so you're more likely to lose them with spray-n-pray shooting from enemy ships, but they're iconic ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2017-4-17 at 1:53 AM, VoA said:

Player drawn...

6HvzXlU.png

Thanks for the upload. 

When I look at it, I see that there is a big waste of cargo space. 4 x beds, 4 x seats, empty space behind entrance etc.

With removing 2 x beds and 2 x seats, and more economical use of space around entrance, there could have been a cargo increase of around 25%? just my thought on the drawing.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the blueprint VoA, I was looking for something like that.  Very cool!

Reavern, I hadn't thought about the Max engines being stacked before, but I like it a lot.

In fact, it should be offered both ways (like pickups that can be duel wheel or tandem wheel).  Or have an in-game shipyards able to do the conversion.

Grizzlyb, I agree.  Take out the 2 upper bunks, maybe fit a gimballed turret and some extra coolers up top there.

And remove the 2 rear seats, use the space to upgrade sensors and navigation.

And what about a tractor assembly where the rear turret is?

Hopefully, the reworked Max will have the forward cargo area more like what the base model has (wide enough for cargo on both sides).

Otherwise, that's wasted space.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm kinda disliking the Freelancer MIS launcher system, namely the external part. It fires them at an Arc WTF? There missiles, not ballistic shells. Atmosphere/no atmosphere. I like the fact that it's fires 4 instead of 2, 1 in each launcher.

They are over complicating the launcher. Too much effort when they could simply been done with ease. remove the stupid rotating piece and the raising the arm to give it an arc.