MISC FREELANCER!

thehumangerm

• 3 months later...

For me, the youtube video for the freelancer commercial isn't working yet (still being processed) but the TNG finale video works fine, and it has the freelancer commercial at the end (starting around the 1:04:55 mark):

Going by these pledge rates, it would seem that weapons will be a big money sink in the PU.

Think about it, for USD55 pledge money, we get the auto-loaders and missiles.

For USD15, we get the super jump engines, extra fuel and navigation sensor suite.

I shudder to think how much the auto loaders and extra missiles will be worth in the PU (in terms of effort to acquire).

Going by these pledge rates, it would seem that weapons will be a big money sink in the PU.

Think about it, for USD55 pledge money, we get the auto-loaders and missiles.

For USD15, we get the super jump engines, extra fuel and navigation sensor suite.

I shudder to think how much the auto loaders and extra missiles will be worth in the PU (in terms of effort to acquire).

Bear in mind that all of extra weapons and upgrades included with the variant models are still low-tier items, and far from the best items available in the PU game. So odds are that the DUR's "enhanced" jump drive is simply one tier above the standard Tarsus Leaper jump drive, and its long-range sensors and fuel tanks are the lowest tier versions of those items. That would explain why the DUR upgrade only costs $15.

Whereas even low-tier weapons would be much more expensive, and the MIS model carries 24 more missiles than the base model Freelancer. That's 4 times as many missiles, plus the auto-loader system.

Finally, there's ship balance -- and ultimately the primary factor in determining balance is its combat capabilities. :D Sure, the MAX can carry 60% more cargo and earn proportionally more money per haul than the base model Freelancer, but the MIS model is better able to defend itself, and could even attack other ships, possibly stealing said MAX's cargo. ;) So I expect that CIG decided to make the MIS the most expensive and limited edition model to balance them properly, and minimize the number of Freelancer missile boats out in the 'verse. :P

Bear in mind that all of extra weapons and upgrades included with the variant models are still low-tier items, and far from the best items available in the PU game. So odds are that the DUR's "enhanced" jump drive is simply one tier above the standard Tarsus Leaper jump drive, and its long-range sensors and fuel tanks are the lowest tier versions of those items. That would explain why the DUR upgrade only costs $15.

Whereas even low-tier weapons would be much more expensive, and the MIS model carries 24 more missiles than the base model Freelancer. That's 4 times as many missiles, plus the auto-loader system.

Finally, there's ship balance -- and ultimately the primary factor in determining balance is its combat capabilities. :D Sure, the MAX can carry 60% more cargo and earn proportionally more money per haul than the base model Freelancer, but the MIS model is better able to defend itself, and could even attack other ships, possibly stealing said MAX's cargo. ;) So I expect that CIG decided to make the MIS the most expensive and limited edition model to balance them properly, and minimize the number of Freelancer missile boats out in the 'verse. :P

See this post for the

I agree with you that the weapons will be "low grade weapons" but I don't think the other upgrades will be "low grade" vs what you can eventually get in the verse (and how easily they can be outfitted onto a non-variant ship - without upgrading it).  I also think that an upgrade of a base model ship to a Variant may take awhile (maybe putting your ship out of commission for awhile - and / or - it maybe expensive upgrade in the Verse if you literally have to trade in an old ship / for a new one).  A clearer example is the Hornet Tracker / Ghost vs the standard Hornet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I can't wait for these to be flyable - the MIS is a lethal ship, but the 4 engines on a MAX really intrigue me.. are they going to be insanely fast? Obviously talking straight lines here.. they'll never have the agility of an M50 or Delta. And personally, that bothers me not even a single bit. Freelancers are my preferred range overall above all other ships (fave is still the Khartu, but the Freelancer range covers pretty much everything) 

• 1 month later...

Yes @Inkarnus - I think you are correct and noticed this on the new vids as well.  ++ found this (speculation) on the RSI forums

New Design Freelancer sneak peak on "Cargo Interaction" video?

Posted:  6:35AM
Edited:  7:50AM by Tarkaroshe

Second video under the "Containers and Pallets" section:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/125955933

new_Freelancer_2.jpg

Note the wings, back ramp, side guns and engines of the previous Freelancer MAX design, coupled with new look feet and a bigger cockpit like the Starfarer.
And yet, it's relative size means it cannot possibly be the Starfarer.
And the inclusion of the back ramp means it can't be one of the Hull series.
Now, below is the MAX as it stands right now:

maxresdefault.jpg

Then there's the other video on the document showing the interior of a ship....the front cab looking a lot like the Freelancer, but significantly bigger. Along with a longer cargo hold, and bigger area for consoles, kitchen sink etc:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/125960650

So this is either a brand new ship or, more likely, the redesigned Freelancer MAX..... to become a "mini me" Starfarer.

The devs have said they are reworking the Lancer to be modular i.e. to re-use assets from other ships (including ones from the same maker).
So it would make sense to make it more "roomy" inside...and to re-use the assets from the other MISC ships (such as the Starfarer).

This also infers that the MAX's cargo capacity on the ship's spec page, even after dividing it by 4, is now way off base (I read somewhere it has been for some time now).

Of course, we don't know if such changes have been applied to all variants (where applicable), but it's highly possible.

@VoA: i have a question about the MIS and the BASE. i have both in my Hangar, but i dont wanna Keep both because they are very similar to each other. My Intention is to use the Freelancer as my Allroundship. Somewhere i saw the base has a upgrade capacity of 10, which says me a can upgrade i also with some Exploration modules or other.

So the main question are:
- How many upgrade Spots has the MIS ? 

- Is it possible to remove the Auto-loader for the Missiles ?

- if Yes, the cargo capacity should be the same as the base has right?

finally it just has some other thrusters, shields and the outloader what it makes different to the Base?

@VoA: i have a question about the MIS and the BASE. i have both in my Hangar, but i dont wanna Keep both because they are very similar to each other. My Intention is to use the Freelancer as my Allroundship. Somewhere i saw the base has a upgrade capacity of 10, which says me a can upgrade i also with some Exploration modules or other.

So the main question are:

- How many upgrade Spots has the MIS ? 

- Is it possible to remove the Auto-loader for the Missiles ?

- if Yes, the cargo capacity should be the same as the base has right?

finally it just has some other thrusters, shields and the outloader what it makes different to the Base?

• Upgrade Capacity of 10 - is not relevant anymore - it was an old system that was phased out.  Now it is more about modularity and we won't know about that still for awhile (but they are working on the Freelancer updates now)
  • I Don't think it will be possible to remove the Auto-Loader for the missiles on the MIS as far as I know
  • Pretty sure the Cargo of the MIS will be lower than the base Freelancer (always) (Like the Phoenix vs Andromeda).

=======

Suggestion..... I really like the Freelancer MIS.  Sure you loose some cargo but just pick up more valuable cargo vs bulk cargo.  The MIS will be one of the most powerful "smaller" ships in the game +++ It will be rare and harder to get in the PU than the Base Freelancer (or most ships).

I personally would send a ticket into CS and ask them to detatch your MIS upgrade.  Buy a Hull - A with LTI during this concept sale.  The Hull A-B will be flyable much sooner than the bigger ones..... so you should be able to do a CCU - to a standard Freelancer then apply your MIS upgrade.... ==== LTI Freelancer MIS :)

• Upgrade Capacity of 10 - is not relevant anymore - it was an old system that was phased out.  Now it is more about modularity and we won't know about that still for awhile (but they are working on the Freelancer updates now)
  • I Don't think it will be possible to remove the Auto-Loader for the missiles on the MIS as far as I know
  • Pretty sure the Cargo of the MIS will be lower than the base Freelancer (always) (Like the Phoenix vs Andromeda).
=======

Suggestion..... I really like the Freelancer MIS.  Sure you loose some cargo but just pick up more valuable cargo vs bulk cargo.  The MIS will be one of the most powerful "smaller" ships in the game +++ It will be rare and harder to get in the PU than the Base Freelancer (or most ships).

I personally would send a ticket into CS and ask them to detatch your MIS upgrade.  Buy a Hull - A with LTI during this concept sale.  The Hull A-B will be flyable much sooner than the bigger ones..... so you should be able to do a CCU - to a standard Freelancer then apply your MIS upgrade.... ==== LTI Freelancer MIS :)

Ok,thank you. Problem is i have a s base physical package with alpha and 6 months and a mis anniversary digital package :/ should i buy a mis upgrade to apply on the physical and sell the anniversary package?

With that last episode of 10 for the artists and the spoiler alert of the tweaks for the Lancer, I feel like that greyheaded gamer trying the tutorial, for the first time. I want to fly my DUR so bad its hurting. :blink:

Ok,thank you. Problem is i have a s base physical package with alpha and 6 months and a mis anniversary digital package :/ should i buy a mis upgrade to apply on the physical and sell the anniversary package?

You can get CS to move your Alpha access to a new package.

Just buy a cheap Aurora or Mustang Package...... Melt and transfer your regular Freelancer package to your new Starter Package.  Buy a Hull-A with LTI.  When the Hull A and Freelancer are flyable in AC (which should be before the summer)....... then do a CCU from the Hull A to a Freelancer - then upgrade that Freelancer to a MIS Freelancer....... then you have a LTI Freelancer MIS with a starter package on a starter ship (that you can CCU to something else if you want).

My hope is that you can use the modularity to shift a MIS to be more like a DUR but with missiles. It may not be possible, but I hope it is.

In terms of what to keep, I think a MIS outclasses the Base and DUR. You can't detach the auto loader afaik because it's a hull modification... But that's potentially old news since we don't know what's happening with the rework.

Definitely follow Voa's advice. Get a Hull A or B, or maybe the eventual new 2-seater Starter in concept, and CCU up to a MIS LTI. Get support to move your alpha across to it, but DO NOT melt the physical goods - they're likely not going on sale again.

@VoA

ok i hope i got that. i have also a Lightspeed LTI with Alpha Access. will they also Transfer my physical goods to this package ? Does it have to be a real Starter or can it be any other package where i want it to Transfer to? ?

I already bought a Hull A ;)

Edit:

I asked congierge for swapping my physical goods to another package. Unfortunately its not possible. So i will Keep it and may upgrade it to a MAX or so..