Would you buy a Constellation with friends?

Ford_Prefect

I already have the Freelancer pledged, but now I have 2 more friends who want to Co-op with me and we were looking to buy a Constellation together since it will be good for 3 people and have nice flexibility for upgrades.

How would you go about doing this? Should we for example start a new account which we all have access to and buy the Conni on that account, then jump in from our personal accounts when we play together or is it better that one of us have the Conni on their account? The purpose to have a dedicated Conni account would be that all could have access to it (If one wants to solo for a while). 

Will it work to have an account with just the ship so we could jump in with our own personas? What else is there to consider? Have any of you done anything similar and in that case, how have you solved it?

I would say the best bet if you really trust these guys, is to have a mutual account you all know the login to. Make sure to get a game package (Else you can't use the ship) so get the $275 Constellation package or the $225 Constellation plus the $30 Aurora MR pack (Alpha Beta not needed if you have your own). If they trust you enough, your best bet though in saving money would be to get it on your existing account they would still need to get their own game packages ($40 MR+ package if they want alpha/beta) but it woul cost less each for the Constellation.

Well this is a bit of a dilemma. I am not sure what CIG says about multiple accounts etc. but 'standard' practice would be to have the connie on one of the personal accounts.

Downside there is that if the person with that account isn't online nobody can get the ship out of the hangar.

If CIG allows it it's best to have a separate account for the connie so everyone can access it. Point is too that you can't play on your personal account then since at least someone has to play on the mutual account. And it costs more money.

Some people are comfortable manning a ship and other people need to be in control and driving. Personally I need to feel ownership and eventually you and your friends will end up having your own Constellations. I think you should focus on launch/early game which means I think you would be better off with 2-3 Freelancers than 1 Constellation.

And if you plan on account sharing, you're gunna have a bad time.

The real question is do i let my friends in my connie? i have a strict no shoes policy. 

That said if i did get a ship with my friends it would only be my close friends but then knowing them we would all moan about whos flying it next. Best to get your own and let your friends use it, if you fork out on that they can put good money into a kitted out single seater IMO. 

A way to handle this is to make in game garages with passwords and authentication coding. In this way, one of your friends can have the ship, but someone else on another account (assumed trustworthy) can access your garage. Take it a step further and have each ship with a voice activated pass phrase or password before ignition to add an extra layer of security to the ships (with proper checks and balances of course). I think this would be sweet.

One account buys the connie the others have the cheapest alpha/beta slot package possible.  That would work great since you can loan the connie to other accounts and actually play with each other.  You won't need to share one account, just pass ownership when you need too.

To be honest.  We have so many ships at Imperiums disposal that you'll get to fly a connie or crew one.  Only buy one to back the game and have more freedom with your ships.  I can't imagine being ordered I have to give up command because it's not my ship.  That would be a good way to find out how good I'm at twitch fps.  But if a lease was signed, that changes everything.

Personally I'd just join a squadron with your mates and crew other peoples' ships.  Chances are you'll meet people with shared interests and although you may not be the Captain per se, it probably wouldn't matter as you'll be doing what you all want.  In other words you get to play as a team and not have to pay any $$$.

If you really want to buy one between you then what @danredda suggested sounds perfectly reasonable.  I wouldn't ever want to share an account myself unless I absolutely trusted the others, but each to their own  B)

Alternatively, since since there's no real rush, just bide your time and wait for the Constellation variants to be released and with the money you've saved between now and then buy it for yourself (maybe melt the Freelancer if you need to and you think it's a worthy upgrade).  Then just invite your mates in (or vice-versa).

You have to consider that you will be making money in the game and eventually all three of you will be able to purchase one in-game on whatever account you will be playing the most. When that happens you will need to decide who is paying how much in-game for the new Connie.

Thank you for all the input! A voice activated ship would be really cool but I don't think it will be feasible.

Money and trust is not really the issue here! I trust this persons since they are close friend and family, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't back stab me for 1/3 of a conni. I think we will rotate the captains seat, if everyone wants to be the captain all the time we will have a lot of lonely captains... Equal buy in, equal right. That's perfect for me.

A shared account would be nice but as you said its cheaper and less complicated to have it on one of our already pledged accounts and lend it out. I would trust this guys with my login so they could get it them self (lend out).

Do you know if you can send the ship to different accounts as many times as you like?

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Remember the golden rule ...

A load of players i know are by far better players with a drink in than not ... so that aint really a bad thing.

What ever path you choose, remember to have that puppy insured that way its expendible to friends as you'll know you will get it back(HOPEFULLY)

@Ford_Prefect I'd just wait mate.  There's absolutely no need to buy one right now other than getting to look at it in the hangar.  So long as you've already pledged and have alpha access, you can just hold on and wait to see how the game pans out.  

Once it gets into the DFM would be when to buy it so you can all captain and crew it.

How are you and your mates planning to split the cost btw?  Is it going to be even 3 ways or is one of you going to pay more than the others?

@Ford_Prefect I'd just wait mate.  There's absolutely no need to buy one right now other than getting to look at it in the hangar.  So long as you've already pledged and have alpha access, you can just hold on and wait to see how the game pans out.  

Once it gets into the DFM would be when to buy it so you can all captain and crew it.

How are you and your mates planning to split the cost btw?  Is it going to be even 3 ways or is one of you going to pay more than the others?

Yea, i agree. There is no rush for getting one, you can still get one in the full game for UEC that you earn :)

People can pool their money to purchase a Constellation, if they choose -- but currently a pledge ship can only be linked to a single RSI account. That means there's no official way to share ownership of a pledge ship. So if participants are going to pool their money for a Connie, they must trust the one person who buys the Connie on their account.

Perhaps CIG will add the ability to co-own ships so that more than one person has access to it; but at the moment, you can't.

I'd suggest not buying a ship with real money to share it -- not until an official ship sharing system is implemented.

I'd suggest waiting for the game to be released, then work together with your friends to save enough UECs to purchase a Constellation in-game. Because by that time, CIG will have a ship sharing system implemented in the game.

Also, if f4 friends started out with just 4 starter Auroras (or Mustangs), in the time it takes a single person to save up enough credits to buy a 300i or Aurora, the 4 friends could pool their money and probably afford a Constellation for the same share price. A Constellation can carry more cargo (35 tons) than 4 300i's (4 x 8 tons = 32 tons), and nearly as much as 4 Avengers (4 x 10 tons = 40 tons), so a Connie is the wiser investment for players interested in hauling and trading. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for all the input! A voice activated ship would be really cool but I don't think it will be feasible.

Money and trust is not really the issue here! I trust this persons since they are close friend and family, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't back stab me for 1/3 of a conni. I think we will rotate the captains seat, if everyone wants to be the captain all the time we will have a lot of lonely captains... Equal buy in, equal right. That's perfect for me.

A shared account would be nice but as you said its cheaper and less complicated to have it on one of our already pledged accounts and lend it out. I would trust this guys with my login so they could get it them self (lend out).

Do you know if you can send the ship to different accounts as many times as you like?

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

There soon will be a limit for transferring ships to another account(1). This would allow players to trade a single ship once between any account! I'm not sure of the date, but I do know this will be in effect before the PU rolls out.