Games you're playing to practice....

Marshal Afghanicus

I work on a minesite, fly in fly out. It's bit too hard to carry around, worried if I shove it in my suitcase will get damaged.

Sorry to hijack. But what kind of mine site? Reason I ask, is I work for a company that designs mining equipment.

The big point of EVE is just that: If you aren't able to manage the time needed to play a MMORPG (yes SC is not one but still has a MMORPG part) on SpaceSim scale (just look at this site: http://themittani.com/ and spezially this picture: http://dl1.eve-files...e/influence.png (pic is sometimes Offline becouse of generating the new picture))

right now, no game can create a similar affection to Digital possesion like EVE (being the reason why being scared of Goons or TEST is just stupid)

I fired up the free 14 day trial of Eve last night. Only had a couple hours to play, but it was fun. Forgot how great that game looks. Finished up all my basic training missions. And the military training missions. Hopefully tonight I can finish up the rest of the training stuff and move out into the big scary void of space :)

what server are you on with planetside 2?

We play as the TR on Helios Server, our team (TR) always goes for the crown and gets wasted while The Black Templars go on a spree capping and scoring usually 10K points/hour at a minimum, 20K is also pretty common. We opened our team up once to the public (Not BLKT) and that was a mistake, our military members use the net like a normal military battle net i.e. no banter, you want social games go play WoW. And lets just say I'm the more "diplomatic" among my guys (and I've still got 2 warnings :D ) my troops aren't as nice when they tell you to can it.

I fired up the free 14 day trial of Eve last night. Only had a couple hours to play, but it was fun. Forgot how great that game looks. Finished up all my basic training missions. And the military training missions. Hopefully tonight I can finish up the rest of the training stuff and move out into the big scary void of space :)

Saw you in chat for a minute.

Saw you in chat for a minute.

Yeah, I was just doing some mining and training last night. So I wasn't at the computer much. Had a ship I couldn't fly without training. Had equipment I couldn't use without training. Finally get the training, and the mission is to build afterburners. Well, the factory didn't have an open slot for almost 2 hours. So I went farming for a couple hours. Just start mining and watch TV until I hear "The asteroid has been depleted." Then move onto the next. It was a slow night :)

Sounds like an exciting game :P I have tried EVE, but I just got fed up with it. Asking the ship to please go somewhere and ending up where you didn't want it to go. I never made it through the training mission. And the user interface... talking about bad...

Sounds like an exciting game :P

I have tried EVE, but I just got fed up with it. Asking the ship to please go somewhere and ending up where you didn't want it to go. I never made it through the training mission. And the user interface... talking about bad...

how long ago? ;)

They improved the tutorial over the last 2 years :D

• 2 weeks later...

Space related, I mostly play ME3MP now, so much fun with friends, great for teamwork and reflex training. As for sims, I´m bred on old F-15, F-117, F-22 Raptor, Eurofighter and Sturmovik (oh, forgotten beautiful times). My first space sim was SW Rogue squadron and then Freelancer and they´re still my favourite, I wasn´t able to find anything that could bring me so much fun than these (I´ll maybe try it again). Tried Darkstar, Galaxy on fire, X3...nothing with decent visual quality and good gameplay, Is SC our only salvation? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty novice in the space-sim genre (I do more strategy gaming usually). I've played some X3, all ye olde Star Wars sims, and plenty of atmospheric flight sims, but can anyone give me an assessment on the physics-correctness of the other above recommendations? You know, momentum preservation, orbital mechanics, and whatnot.

Personally, aside from games like Kerbal Space Program, which really don't count since they aren't combat sims, it seems like most games cheat on the constant-thrust aspect and almost none carry momentum into weapon projectiles well. I suspect even SC will do this to some degree, since all the ships appear to be constant-thrust, and I doubt velocity will be uncapped; but they are focusing on the physics quite a bit, so it'd be nice to get some recent practice in space-physics before jumping into it. If any games mentioned here do this particularly well, please point them out to me.

​Since I haven't seen it mentioned, another game that has pretty good physics in a space combat sim is the fan-made Babylon 5: I've Found Her, which at least does thrust and projectile physics pretty well (and I recall really liking the UI for 3D radar and the like). It's been awhile since I've played it, but it's freeware, so you guys might want to give it a go.