A dedicated shooting force.

sourion

I am wondering what everyone thinks about a unit dedicated to the first person shooter aspects of Star Citizen. There are going to be lawless planets where the whole planet is basically a free fire zone, in addition to the space station combat CR has shown us.

Boarding action is going to be necessary if we're ever going to be able to seize larger vessels (such as Vandul ships). It wouldn't hurt to have a group dedicated to fighting that type of combat, as it's a skillset that you're not likely to be training in of you are part of a fighter wing.

Attempts to seize a ship would still use every available person (if you're flying a multi crew ship, you ought to be part of the attack once the enemy vessel is disabled), but having a core of experienced shooters at the heart of the assault force would go a long way towards making boarding less of an improvised affair.

What are everyone else's thoughts? I haven't seen much discussion of this topic.

A lot of Squadrons already have a unit within them for the FPS aspect of SC, be it controlling a lawless planet or a boarding party, But there mixed with Space combat and Ground.So If there is gonna be a Unit for FPS aspect only its gonna have to have a ready room and bunks, storage etc within another ship

It does sound interesting though.

I am wondering what everyone thinks about a unit dedicated to the first person shooter aspects of Star Citizen. There are going to be lawless planets where the whole planet is basically a free fire zone, in addition to the space station combat CR has shown us.

Boarding action is going to be necessary if we're ever going to be able to seize larger vessels (such as Vandul ships). It wouldn't hurt to have a group dedicated to fighting that type of combat, as it's a skillset that you're not likely to be training in of you are part of a fighter wing.

Attempts to seize a ship would still use every available person (if you're flying a multi crew ship, you ought to be part of the attack once the enemy vessel is disabled), but having a core of experienced shooters at the heart of the assault force would go a long way towards making boarding less of an improvised affair.

What are everyone else's thoughts? I haven't seen much discussion of this topic.

As has already been stated, some squadrons have units within them that are fps-based whilst other squadrons are completely focused on that side of gameplay. Crusaders and Roughnecks would be two examples. 

We have many squadrons that have a unit like that within their hierarchy. We do also have one dedicated squadron for FPS named 'roughnecks'. I cant link it to you as you don't have a 'full' fleet member status. 

We're always looking for new recruits as a dedicated FPS squadron. We'll accept pilots and shooters, depending on your preference. Don't forget the Crusaders as well (also an FPS detachment of the Mandala wing I think). 

The page link for the Roughnecks is in yellow in my signature, if you're interested. 

Don't forget the Crusaders as well (also an FPS detachment of the Mandala wing I think). 

Crusaders are a branch of on the same level as Mandala. Also, Imperium doesn't have member-owned wings. Only squadrons. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The 317th has partnered with the roughnecks to provide auxiliary members. Due to the FPS mechanic in star citizen still being pretty unknown, its hard to say how involved it would be. However, if your looking for FPS gameplay only/primarily, I would look at the roughnecks, and the crusaders if you want to be part of a mixed squadron that has a FPS contingent. Always remember that you are not limited to one squadron, you can have a primary squad and be auxiliary in others.

If all the major squadrons donate a few auxiliary marines to the Roughnecks then we will have enough troops to take on any job at any time. You can rotate the auxiliary marine duty between these major squadrons that during a major fleet operation you immediately have a marine company on standby to start a boarding action without delay.

I feel that since the marine corps should be the most important and valuable in any organisation that with a core primary group and a very large auxiliary reserve group that the Roughnecks should be having the most members of all squadrons within Imperium.

The 317th have over 30 auxiliary marines enlisted with the Roughnecks and more will follow. Let's make this happen everyone and resolve the marines issue once and for all within Imperium!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Would be very much interested in this - Don't get me wrong I am pilot fan (I did starlancer, Freespace, Freelancer etc), but Im also a counter strike 1.6/source/ Payday 2, Halo, Arma 2 jarhead. I know what it means to act fast when you only have 1 life to work with, and I've always been a fan of the "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" motto.

If I get accepted *fingers cross*.

I'd very much like to join the Imperium branch of the mobile infantry.

Will defo check you out if I get accepted.

Just an FYI but I reside in London - would this be a timezone issue for you guys? I dont mind plahing late on my weekends. :)

Not at all. In fact, most of our members are all European. The two Roughneck commanders are both from the UK

• 4 months later...

This is a great idea! Yeah as some say we troopers in our ship that's mainly for defense against enemy boarding party however, it will be great to have a dedicated trooper division force for offensive operation against enemy (Capital) ships, space station, and planetary installation. I believe this will greatly improve Imperium combat operations and open new strategy as well. On the plus side there will be ship to support this such as the gunships (redeemer) and other assault ship thats in the making. I see people in the RSI forums who focus mainly in the FPS in SC. There is a expectation with this hopefully it will be met at this pax in Australia.

This is a great idea! Yeah as some say we troopers in our ship that's mainly for defense against enemy boarding party however, it will be great to have a dedicated trooper division force for offensive operation against enemy (Capital) ships, space station, and planetary installation. I believe this will greatly improve Imperium combat operations and open new strategy as well. On the plus side there will be ship to support this such as the gunships (redeemer) and other assault ship thats in the making. I see people in the RSI forums who focus mainly in the FPS in SC. There is a expectation with this hopefully it will be met at this pax in Australia.

There are corps that focus on such activities. With the new system just put in place, it'll take a little time to get them back up and running, but look around and you'll be seeing them again soon.

Good shootin' sirs.

I hope this plays a huge role in Star Citizen, or at least one that would require a pretty constant marine force on larger ships. I won't lie, even though the main focus of the game is probably naturally geared towards ship on ship external combat, the main thing I want to do in this game is board enemy ships and take them, especially larger craft. Although planet side combat would also be appealing. Needless to say, if there is ever a group dedicated to specifically ship boarding combat, I will sign up in a heartbeat. Or with enough interested people create one.

• 5 months later...

A lot of Squadrons already have a unit within them for the FPS aspect of SC, be it controlling a lawless planet or a boarding party, But there mixed with Space combat and Ground.So If there is gonna be a Unit for FPS aspect only its gonna have to have a ready room and bunks, storage etc within another ship

It does sound interesting though.

still we could have the imperium space marines. :P

I think a commando unit would be a brilliant idea regarding fps

the imperium space marines ;) ;)