Napoleon

Chris Robert have a big problem....

At around, 35:02 Chris Robert stated that they are aiming for the average PC for 2015.

Also, I am pretty sure that the Farmville infested Oculus Rift and the HOTAS is mainly for

immersion sake and not really necessary to play the game (keyboard and mouse is fine).

Look awsome.thx for the video

@Napoleon

Oh, I see what you mean. I think he cares about all his backers and loves that they put so much faith into him and his dreams, so I wouldn't say he doesn't care about the folk who have average/above average computers. I'm sure optimization will come later so that more medium/average gamers will be able to play it as well. Buying things like Oculus Rift or HOTAS is not going to be necessary for gamers as well, so that's less for those kind of gamers/people to worry about having to buy.

@Napoleon,

I could share you concern if the goal was to build a game for the masses. But this is what the publishers do. And they compromise to do it.

Less graphics, less content, less R&D, less immersion - only to gain more customers.

As far as I understand, Chris Roberts goal is to do the opposite.

He is building a no-comprimse game offering the best possible graphics, physics, and content. And in my opinion, he has been very clear on this.

Immersion equals high fidelity graphics - which in turn, require a high end computer.

This game is aimed for the select few who absolutely loves space-sims, high quality graphics, and PC-gaming (with all its pros and cons).

Personally - I loathe the direction the gaming industry is taking.

Everything is built for consoles - and the games that do reach PC is often a poor conversion of a console-game. Everything is made easier, easier, easier. Quick rewards.

I am very happy about the direction Star Citizen is taking. Even if it means I have to upgrade my 6 month old computer system - only so I can turn up the graphics a wee bit more.

Do "we" have a moral obligation to make sure that the people of the world have the ability to play the video games that they would like? I am glad to see that you said you agree with the people who we do NOT!

Being that my name says it all, you can guess where I stand on such issues and I will only say that moral obligations stop at anything outside of that which you would absolutely need to survive, like food and water. Anything more is on the individual to provide for themselves. And even in my personal circumstances, if I CAN'T afford it, I DON'T NEED IT!

you don't have to be rich to play star citizen. my friend who works at a fast food joint will be joining star citizen. he makes minium wage. i am not rich, but i can afford it to. your one shred of refrence material is burned away in 8 seconds of me shaking my head. 1500 bucks to buy a decent pc, 100 bucks for game and a toy.... 1600 bucks by saving 100 bucks a month gets you there in 1 year 4 months. use your tax return...less than that. rich people scoff at such trivial numbers. hell, i can make that sum in two weeks easy. i make crap for a salary, but i can work more if i want something. 

statistics on who is rich and who is not.... is not by any means a valid basis for your op. 

but by all means...please try again

French_Taunter.jpg

This post is exactly why I am interested in SC.

I am hoping that SC can push the requirements high enough to deter all but the hardcore gamers.

Because I am tired of the cry-baby, carebear, entitled bratz who play all of the other brain-less MMOs.

Am I blind enough to think that this will stop the crying....no...of course not.

However I am just hoping to minimalize it.

I want to play a game where I can do whatever I want...

If there are consequences so be it...but I still have the choice.

Star Citizen is being made to appeal to a specific demographic, who, on average, are going to have higher technical capacity than your typical casual gamer.  I absolutely think Chris Roberts is designing the game with this group in mind, but I also don't think it's a 'compromise' to make the game playable by this base.  When we invoke 'poor' gamers we're not talking about the people with integrated graphics cards.  We're talking about people who don't have three screens, 16 core CPUs, and liquid nitrogen cooled system.  The game can still be built to high standards, it was always billed as a next-gen/high-end game, without disenfranchising the user base.  The HOTAS/Mous thread (which I really don't want to revive) was partially about whether HOTAS will be required, and even though I have a mid-high end computer, I don't have the money to spend $200-400 on a peripheral.  I don't think that's the same thing as being poor.

I would also point out, that in the recently released DFM developer video it was made very clear that both Mouse&Keyboard/HOTAS are fully supported.  The great thing about CIG is that they want to give their players every option possible.  I, for one, support them all the more for it.

If money was a serious limiting factor we wouldn't see over a hundred dollars average per person spent on this game. There are people who'v just put in enough for an Aurora. For them, in a year and a half our top end computers will be more than cheap enough. 

For the rest. We have plenty of people with too much disposable income ready to get or already have the computers to run this monster.

Last is that as has been stated before. You really don't need to worry about NEEDING the HOTAS or what have you. A lot of people are worried that there is no way to make the mouse equal to other control systems since its so much more precise. 

I think that the larger problem is that CIG needs to start delivering and meeting timetables. The DFM will go a long way to allaying some concerns as to 1) Will single player release in 2014 and 2) will SC release in 2015. Many don't care for the slick webcasts or competitions.

We want the game.

Thus far, I am hopeful that CR will deliver.

This pretty much hit me while i was ready that HOTAS tread.I was at first surprise to see how many ppl wanted the mouse/keyboard set up to be competitive.....I think gamer's ARE NOT READY for that kind of game!

They don't have a computer powerful enough,they don't have the proper set up(HOTAS,pedal,Oculus...etc)...They just DONT HAVE THE $

Economy is a bitch,nobody can blame a broke gamer imo.

Oh yeah,CR can just be "screw them"and do the game he want's....but in fact he dosn't have the RIGHT to do this.If he take the money in his pockets,he can build whatever game he wants....and invite whoever he want,it's his business...But the day he decided to go with a Kickstarter to finance his project,this very day he loosed the right to create whatever he want...he need to build a game the vast majority of his 400k+ backers CAN PLAY AND PERFORM IN.....And the truth his most of theses backers are broke,with old computers...

Let say Donald Trump give him 40 million to build a game.Does he need to build a game that DT can actually play?What would happen if he create a game so complex that the man keep crashing after 30 second?

Pretty sure he regret the Kickstarter.I believe he have the contact to get the money otherwise.

At the other end,there are the COMPLETE FREAK,who actually take RL flight lesson,and are buying whatever they think that will give them a edge.Just go and read the last 2 pages of the HOTAS tread,you'll get what i mean.They are expecting this game to be a 2050 game release in 2015,and the are expecting this game to be aristocratic,with a Elite that completely dominate and some sucker just as good as AI that will hand around doing job for them.

Theres also normal gamer stuck in between,waiting to see what will happen...because this game is the most anticipate game of the history.It will happen,no matter what.O'm just really curious to see what Cr will do....will he go to please the masses?The elite?Or somewhere in between,where nobody will be fully satisfy?

Yep,Chris Robert have a problem.

WTF is this? More fear mongering paranoia looking for problems that don't exist?  Smells like it... Looks like it.. Must be it..

A joystick is a pretty simple gaming device. it goes up, down side to side, and some of them even twist! A mouse can do all that but twist too.

This is just baseless fear mongering at its near worst. I have honestly seen worse on the CIG forums, were I spend most my time.

Mice and joysticks have been side to be side in gaming since the early 90's. Even today people still use either to no serious advantage over the other. Go play ARMA sometime you will have some pilots who use a stick and some who fly with a mouse, You have to ask them cause its impossible to tell by watching them fly.

The only advantage a joystick has over "SOME" mice are the easy access of more then 4 or so buttons. But then you got some gaming mice with 12 freaking buttons on them..

There is ZERO mechanical benefit to flying with a HOTAS over a keyboard and mouse, anything a HOTAS can do, a keyboard and mouse can also do, not better, not worse, but just as good.

The obvious difference is which a player feels more comfortable with, and the cool factor involved in the perspective of the player, do they feel cool enough with just a mouse, or do they feel they need a HOTAS system to fly their ship? This comparison is almost as dumb as comparing a gamepad to a mouse and keyboard.

As PC gamers i'm sure the majority will say a keyboard and mouse is better, but anyone who plays consoles a lot will be just as good with a gamepad's thumb sticks as I am with my mouse. I have a 3D extreme pro joystick, had it when Star Wars Galaxies was still up and running, got it to fly ships, but still spent most my time flying with my mouse.. Cause it was easier for me...

Won't people be able to turn down the quality until it runs smoothly? That's usually what I do.

Yes, you will. At least, that's what I've read. The minimal will probably still need an update or two depending on the computer in question. If the computer is old, then the lowest settings probably won't help the player much at all.

A lot of ado about nothing.

I've been reading a LOT of post on the RSI website and forums, and as I understand it the game will support Mouse/Keyboard - Joypads - Joystick and HOTAS.

Heck, they might even bring out their own Star Citizen HOTAS brand (something I wish I'd known about before I bought my Warthog)

The game will also support mid level computers scaling up to pretty much anything your wallet can support (4k monitors, multiple GFX and CPUs)

Will people with money have an advantange over those who can't afford the top noch systems? Maybee a, but a sucky player in a high end system still will be the victim of a better player with a mid level system. 

I just hope the ship balancing will be realistic and that the combat will be fun, even if I loose now and then. 

That will make it worth al the money I've sunk into this. :)

I´m disagree. I think who have a problem are people that want  Star Citizen in the same  way of Mass Effect. Star Citizen is a Chris Roberts game. So Chris Roberts is Chris Roberts.

This kind of guy:

PEW.gif

Let's take an example from CR here, more pew pew and less bla bla.

Looking at this bla bla will generate frustration, anger and eventually heart failure before SC is finished and pew pew brings a smile to you're face.