10 For the Chairman Questions

Jon1812

I have been in discussions with a few people who have had really good suggestions for TFTC questions, but can't suggest them as they aren't subscribers. So I did a few searches to see if there was a thread in existence for this purpose and decided to create one, since I was unable to find an existing thread. I suggest that we list our proposed TFTC questions in this thread and then subscribers can ask the ones they think are best fitted for TFTC. Every so often, I will go down the comments and update the list of questions. If you want to use a question, feel free to re-phrase it if you think it can be said better.

Suggested Questions

- In Freelancer gameplay was concentrated around the central plane of the system. Will this be the case with Star Citizen? It sure would be nice to have an indicator that showed how far above or below the central plane your ship is currently located. It could be as simple as 2 or 3 digits with an arrow pointing up or down. (submitted by bruceyoung57) (could you clarify bruce? Isn't the central plane your ship? What other indicators would we need?)

- It has been made evident that certain in-game events will change the distribution of NPCs in the 'verse. Would player actions be able to do the same? For example, if thousands of players swarmed a system and started killing any NPC pirates that appeared, would the NPC pirate population decrease over time?

Asked Questions

- Will a system be in place for players to cooperatively invest in a business or node, or will dividing shares in a business/node be something they will have to do outside of the game mechanics?

- You have stated that players will probably be able to vote for their representatives. I think that is awesome and I look forward to the in-game political system, however I have a question for you: will players only be able to vote on their "home" system's representative? Generally, citizens in representative democracies vote only for their own representative, rather than all of them. How will that work in Star Citizen?

- How difficult will it be to collect trade data in Star Citizen? Will we be able to download a planet's (or for that matter a system's) trade/job data as a sort of "packet" when we enter the area, or will we have to go by the planets and look through the prices manually?

- Will the owner/administrator of a given node, be able to give managerial powers to other players or will they be the only person that can manage the node's day-to-day functions?

- You've said that we will be able to store our cargo in our hangars, but how much of our hangar space will be available for storage? Will a player have to balance the space used for Cargo vs. Ships in the hangar, or will there be designated areas for storing Cargo?

- Will there be an in-game mechanic for payment plans and contracts? If so, how detailed would they be and would they be customizable based upon standard templates or would they be pre-written for various jobs?

- Will there be missions in the persistent Universe which will be dependent on players having to act cooperatively with NPCs? For example, if a player was working for the Advocacy and was told to go on a certain raid, would the player have to be there at a certain time and how would it be organized as far as cooperation?

- What happens to ownership of a node, if a system is invaded and then taken back? For example, if an organization owns a node on Earth and it is invaded by the Vanduul, but taken back at some point in the future, will that organization still own that node? (provided that it survived the attack and occupation)

- What will happen to destroyed ships after a battle, (specifically cap ships). Will they just disappear? Or will the wreckage stay in it's own instance for possible salvagers to stumble across days, weeks, or even months later. (Asked by FoxyFilth)

-  You have inferred that we will be able to fly out into space in a system, without reaching borders of any kind or being stopped somehow. My question is this, if we fly way out into the far reaches of a system, will there be asteroids with raw materials to mine?

- Will players be able to carry other ships inside the cargo bays of their larger vessels, provided the space is big enough? For example, could I carry an aurora or a hornet inside my Banu Merchantman's cargo hold?

- Will a human vessel's computer be able to interface with an alien computer? For example, would you be able to hack the alien ship using your human-built ship?

Answered Questions

- Will Chris come by flying around during a event followed by his own Pirate armada? (submitted by rain2reign)

(I can't remember which TFTC episode in which they answered this and was having trouble finding the right transcript, if someone could find the quote that answered this question and post it below, that would be great!)

- If you fly ships such as the Banu Merchantman, Vanduul Scythe, and Xian Scout will you be mistaken by the other races for one of their own? That is to say, will having an alien vessel fool the aliens into thinking that you are one of them or their allies?

(Answered during The Base interview with Ben Lesnick, James Pugh and William Lewis) If I remember correctly, they stated that it would be possible with certain changes, but you would have to camouflage it a certain way. If anybody has a recording of that show, could you post the quote that answered this question, below?

Once we obtain a missile lock on a ship, will we stay locked on after it leaves our field of vision? In other words, will we be able to fire a missile at a ship that we can no longer see?

(Answered by the DFM release - No. )

- You have said that players will be able to "hack" or steal information from other ships in some way in the Persistent Universe. My question is this, will players be able to upgrade their ship's computer components in order to increase their "hacking power" (I use this for lack of a better term), increase their ship's resistance to being "hacked", or possibly to make it easier to decode information they have retrieved?

(I don't remember when or where they said this, but they confirmed it)

- Additional hangars will be available to rent in game, but will they be available to buy? Could you buy a hangar for a much higher price, rather than paying periodic fees?

(Answered by CR on Subscriber Live Stream on 9/23/15)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will just purchase a one-month subscription and ask the questions myself, so if anyone has anymore questions to add to the list, please add them and I will ask them when I get the subscription.

In Freelancer gameplay was concentrated around the central plane of the system. Will this be the case with Star Citizen? It sure would be nice to have an indicator that showed how far above or below the central plane your ship is currently located. It could be as simple as 2 or 3 digits with an arrow pointing up or down. Every location of interest doesn't have to be smack dab on the central plane.

Once we get a few more, I will get a subscription and start submitting them. Hopefully we can get a lot of people doing this, because I know quite a few people have some good ideas for questions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When you open the system map in Freelancer you are looking at a cube from the top down so what you see is a square. if you were to rotate the square you would see that all of the objects, ie the planets and stations and trade lanes would be in the middle of the square with no objects residing in the space from the middle (central plane) to the top and from the middle to the bottom. Think of the "central plane" or the "middle" as the horizon or the surface of the ocean. The total play area is mostly empty above and below the central plane where all of the objects are placed. It would be easy for the programmers to put an indication of how far above or below the central plane your ship resides.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I have been gone for a while and I believe that some of these questions have been answered in my absence. If you guys see any that you know of that were talked about in any Star Citizen videos or articles, please let me know. Thanks! Also, If you guys want to keep listing questions, once we get a good few I will re-subscribe and ask them.

• 1 year later...

Just got the hangar question answered. We CAN buy hangars! Confirmed by CR in Today's livestream. Please ask the remaining questions whenever you get a chance, I would love to have some of these answered. Particularly the ones relating to nodes and trade data. I will keep working on this list, so if people want to add any questions, feel free to do so.