controller prefference

Sully Raven

I've seen this question asked a few times in various post regarding keyboard & mouse, HOTAS, or console type controller.  In general most seem to want to wait to see if Star Citizen will have a branded HOTAS for the game.  Chris Roberts stated that they were in talks with several manufactures.  Also there has been speculation that Star Citizen would reveal the manufacture at the PAX in Boston.  That speculation is based on that they said they would share a booth with an undisclosed manufacture.  I've always played games using mouse and keyboard; however, if Star Citizen has a HOTAS developed for the game I will most likely purchase it.

***IN MY OPINION***:  Mouse + Keyboard is the best way to play every game I've personally ever come across.  I don't think Star Citizen will be any different unless they purposely nerf the mouse controls.  So it's a choice between disadvantaging yourself to have fun playing with a joystick/controller or using a device so accurate and easy to use that Microsoft banned cross-platform play with it.  It's one of the reasons why only games like Final Fantasy Online were ever made cross platform.  And why Star Citizen will never go to console.  http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/rumour-microsoft-killed-plans-for-pc-vs-xbox-360-online-play/

Who says you can't fly with a mouse?  I beg to differ...  

ZMZpbcN.png

In the video where the devs were showing off the dog fighting alot of them were using 360 controller. Also that joystiq looks sick.

Well if you replace it with the Thrustmaster HOTAS top it looks like this. But then u have just spent $600 on 2 joysticks to make a single one  ^_^

r3uj.jpg

I plan on going into DFM using mouse+keyboard and also giving my game controller a try. I have never used a HOTAS before but if somehow the experience turns out to be vastly inferior without one I will look into on closer to launch. I know a lot of people that swear by a HOTAS and wouldnt play the game any other way.

I expect a lot of discussion on this next month once we have DFM upon us :)

I already have an (older) stick, but I'm 90% sold on a brand-new CH setup for SC. Throttle, stick, and pedals. Might go for their customizable keypad as well, depending on how many KB controls I need for SC.

Watch this "music" video showing the Hornet flying and shooting and get an idea of what control setup might be best (flying starts at about 55 secs)

Me, I'm going with a Joystick and a Razer Nostromo key-pad. Maybe consider a pedal set in the future.

I will start with mouse and keyboard but I will buy a X-55 soon and have that as alternate control setup. I might switch it depending on the ship also. Like my m50 has it's main weapons fixed Type 1. Then I will put in hard hitting short range weaponry and dumbfire rockets. At that point the maneuvering becomes more important than shooting precision. So basically get at the enemies tail really close and hit fire. For that I will use the Joystick/Hotas.

But I fear I will still control most of the planes with mouse&keyboard. What bothers me most is all those type 2 and turret hardpoints the ships have. That screams to be controlled with mouse for fire precision. Just look at the Hornet video and see the moving weaponry. A nice thing to try out though would be Joystick left hand, mouse right hand. If they let you set this up and you can practice that ambidextrous style without 

So my answer would be decide per ship. The more maneuverable it is and short range weaponry is has the more you want to go for Joystick. The more Type 2 weaponry and Turrets and long range weaponry it has the more you want to go for mouse.

That is of course if CIG does not F up and it is all mouse only again. But they are aware of that problem and will do something as they have confirmed multiple times.

Just ordered a warthog to start learning the game on dfm with it, I can't wait to have it :)

I should wait until CIG release their own hotas, but I don't want to be disappointed, I'm almost sure they'll need to release somthing for a larger public, as the warthog is for high end user, I won't be disapointed at all.