Reavern

Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.

My new Flight Stick and Throttle arrived today: the Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. B)

Needless to say that I'm very pleased and am eager to try it out.

Here are pics I took of my X-55 Rhino:

Unboxing

X-55Rhino01-BoxFront_zpsbb045b70.jpg

X-55Rhino03-OpenBox_zps67b857fd.jpg

X-55Rhino04-ComponentsinBags_zps82788750

Flight Stick

X-55Rhino05-FlightStickFront_zps3fe5a125

X-55Rhino09-FlightStickBackClose-up_zpsa

X-55Rhino06-FlightStickLeft_zps633e6d35.

X-55Rhino07-FlightStickFront_zps9ea8f3c4

X-55Rhino08-FlightStickRight_zpsedb06e1d

Throttle

X-55Rhino11-ThrottleBack_zps57604cf1.jpg

X-55Rhino10-ThrottleTop_zps066310b0.jpg

X-55Rhino12-ThrottleLeft_zps9364ae80.jpg

X-55Rhino17-ThrottleFrontClose_zpsdf2265

X-55Rhino15-ThrottleRightClose_zpsfac437

Dual Throttle

X-55Rhino18-ThrottleSplitBack_zps336ffa0

X-55Rhino20-ThrottleSplitRightSide_zps11

Flight Stick & Throttle

X-55Rhino22-FlightStickampThrottle_zps27

First Impressions:

I am very impressed by the X-55 Rhino's looks, feel, function, and build quality. Both the flight stick and throttle feel very comfortable and fit naturally in my hands. The placement of the buttons is good. They're exactly where they should be on the flight stick, and they're crisp and give good feedback. The trigger feels really good to pull, with just the right firmness and a satisfying click. :D On the throttle, all the buttons and HATs and switches feel great, but I'm concerned that the placement of the 2 buttons and HAT on the front of the throttle grip might cause me to press them accidentally when pulling back. I expect I'll learn how grip it properly so that doesn't happen.

The flight stick's movement feels good and very precise. I plan on experimenting with the 4 springs and see which one I prefer. The throttle's movement is best described as accurate and deliberate -- meaning slow and tight. I immediately reduced the throttle tension using the adjustment knob, but I didn't notice a significant difference. However, the slow-ish throttle movement isn't a bad thing; it actually feels good and more realistic than most of the throttles I've used in the past. Sure, I can't go from idle to afterburner to idle again in a split second, but I shouldn't need to. I'm confident that the feel of the throttle movement will grow on me after I get used to it.

That's all for now. It's time to plug in my Rhino and have some FUN! :D

Pfff, It ain't fair! To get one I'll have to bribe an American or a Canadian. I know it isn't that hard but yeah :P I'd love to order one directly from Saitek. Any Idea when we, the Europeans will be able to order one? Is there news on that part?

US and Canada only. Other regions coming soon.

I really really really hate to see such things :P

Looks nice. Is the stick fully-plastic?

I just hope the real downfall does not come, like with most of the other Saitek products, with the software.

Just one question regarding the button-layout: How the hell would someone be able to quickly press the "B" button without detaching his thump?^^

@Reavern

Absolutely love the design of the X-55.

My only concern is that it looks a little flimsy. Can you tell me if they've got some metal in there to reinforce the stick? or is it all plastic?

If its like my X-65F then its all metal, except some buttons. What you see is just paint apps that make it look plastic.

Looks nice. Is the stick fully-plastic?

I just hope the real downfall does not come, like with most of the other Saitek products, with the software.

Just one question regarding the button-layout: How the hell would someone be able to quickly press the "B" button without detaching his thump?^^

@Reavern

Absolutely love the design of the X-55.

My only concern is that it looks a little flimsy. Can you tell me if they've got some metal in there to reinforce the stick? or is it all plastic?

Yes, it's mostly plastic. The flight stick and throttle grips are what I would describe as rubberized plastic. They feel very sturdy and comfortable in hand, and should stand up to years of use. The bases of the stick and throttle are also sturdy plastic. The only problem is that they're light. It shouldn't be a problem for the flight stick, but the throttle does slide on its rubber feet if you only push or pull it; you need to apply some downward force to keep it from moving. A weighted base for the throttle might've solved this problem, but I expect that Saitek's assumes users will bolt it down, so adding 5 pounds of weight would be pointless and add to the cost.

The only external metal components are a plaque on the flight stick base, a part of the stick on the left side below the thumb button (you can barely make out the difference in colour in the pic), the metal springs for the flight stick, the 3-way toggle switches on the throttle, and the black bars on the sides of the 3 toggle switches on the back of the throttle base. I don't know if there are metal components inside.

Overall it feels sturdy and should last for years. I suppose if you really tried to break it you could, but that's not a reasonable expectation.

@Maverick

The B button on the right side of the flight stick is actually pressed by the index finger, not thumb. You have to take your finger off the trigger to press it, so whatever you map to the B button shouldn't be combat-related. I've heard it's commonly used for FRAPS.

@Maverick

The B button on the right side of the flight stick is actually pressed by the index finger, not thumb. You have to take your finger off the trigger to press it, so whatever you map to the B button shouldn't be combat-related. I've heard it's commonly used for FRAPS.

Seems reasonable to me since you wouldn't be able to reach it in time, just like the 6 "base" buttons on my X52pro. I'm just curious how the 2-thrust-throttle will work out in SC. Currently I'm not expecting them to support that.

Now I am torn.

I have a Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS I planned to use for Star Citizen, but the newer X55 Rhino looks to be quite the upgade.

I will have to read up on this one.

My only two regrets with the X52 Pro is the lmited (if not lacking) software support for the Saitek, and the sticks issues with the spring. It tends to get stuck in center position when making micro-adjustments due to its design (or rather, designflaw).

Maybe I should wait and see if the recent poll reveals a new high-quality high-precision SC-specific product. Now - that would be something.

I've been thinking about picking up the Saitek X52 Pro as my first HOTAS setup up, but now that I saw this

I have a Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS I planned to use for Star Citizen, but the newer X55 Rhino looks to be quite the upgade.

I will have to read up on this one.

Maybe I should wait and see if the recent poll reveals a new high-quality high-precision SC-specific product. Now - that would be something.

I want to look more into it.  I was planning on picking up the SC setup if they made one, and I may just wait for that now and just stick with keyboard and mouse for the time being.

Very impressive HOTAS system, thank you for the images. It looks larger than I expected, which should be good for stability and durability. Please keep us updated about your experiences using the HOTAS and control software with games.

For those concerned about the plastic construction, I would like to discourage you from jumping to the conclusion that the joystick will not be durable as a result. I have a CH Products joystick and throttle that I used extensively for almost 10 years, before the demise of the PC sim industry (thank you consoles :angry:), and today they still work like new. The additional cost from the use of cast and machined metal parts is difficult to justify in the consumer market, when plastic can provide 95% of the performance. I think there is actually benefit for using plastic for the joystick, that its lighter weight allows for lighter springs for the centering force, resulting in a lighter and more responsive feel to the motion.

Very impressive HOTAS system, thank you for the images. It looks larger than I expected, which should be good for stability and durability. Please keep us updated about your experiences using the HOTAS and control software with games.

For those concerned about the plastic construction, I would like to discourage you from jumping to the conclusion that the joystick will not be durable as a result. I have a CH Products joystick and throttle that I used extensively for almost 10 years, before the demise of the PC sim industry (thank you consoles :angry:), and today they still work like new. The additional cost from the use of cast and machined metal parts is difficult to justify in the consumer market, when plastic can provide 95% of the performance. I think there is actually benefit for using plastic for the joystick, that its lighter weight allows for lighter springs for the centering force, resulting in a lighter and more responsive feel to the motion.

Regarding the plastic argument: My 6 year old X52pro, which also mainly consists of plastic, still works like a charm.

Got mine pre-ordered in Europe and hoping to get it sent in April so I get it in time for the Dog Fighting module. Right now I am playing other space sims with my X360 controller and it is just not the same.

So it is great to see some positive feedback already know as I really hope that it will be my go-to joystick for the coming years. And thanks for the great pictures to finally get to see it in details. All those sweet buttons!

I wonder witch one will work well for voice chat...

I am also waiting to see if CIG comes out with some info about their joystick before my x55 gets shipped, but I am pretty sure it will be sold from their US store and probably a lot more expensive to get hold of for us EU guys.