Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.

Reavern

• 1 month later...

WOW! I didn't know the x-55 is selling, I thought it was just pre-order, I have and x-52 and a saitek yoke system, I'm getting some pedals soon and a switch panel, but WOW, this thing's making me want to get a joystick system instead of yoke

• 5 weeks later...

Just an FYI. I have the X55 and it is currently not working with the DFM. Looks like it might be a driver issue. It's on their "known issues" thread on the main forums.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/137191/arena-commander-reported-issue-workarounds-faq#latest

Fix for the X55 in above link. I put the Layout_hotas_x55.xml file into the SC folder and pointed to it as mentioned in that fix page.

Worked for me but now I have to examine it to get it to do things the way I want to.

Sort of got me mad that I had a Profile that I wanted to use but all we got is what they gave us.

I get it figured out I will pass the info.- DRUM out

• 3 weeks later...

Question, how far have people managed to go with the x55? I still have troubles up at 7-8. But I have yet to try and change my load-out..

And what spring do you use? I am on the longest\hardest, and wonder if it inhibits my movement to much.

Question, how far have people managed to go with the x55? I still have troubles up at 7-8. But I have yet to try and change my load-out..

And what spring do you use? I am on the longest\hardest, and wonder if it inhibits my movement to much.

@Valenquo I was able to get to level 10, but I've been using the red spring (shortest). I feel it gives me quicker easier maneuverability. It's tough to score hits when you have to point your nose to hit the targets, but I plan on getting and Oculus Rift for the sighting my turrets etc. From what I hear from OR owners it makes a huge difference. I just wish they were selling the commercial ones now, or soon. At the moment the M&K setup is the easiest to sight targets with. Using M&K for me isn't the answer as I like the immersion of a full HOTAS as in a real craft.

Trak

Still in the same area. Getting into level 12 most of the time and actually into level 13 a few times. Once I figure out what I am doing wrong and counter it, I imagine it will advance.

Surprisingly, I got to the same areas with KB+Mouse as I do with the X-55. The trade off is maneuverability versus aim, but it seems to average out. What this appears to signify is that play style is probably as important as control scheme.

With the controls set up in a usable manner on the thruster, I have to admit that getting into level 12 is more guaranteed these days using the X-55 though.

Because of disuse, Keyboard twitch responses are missing now, so not worth new testing... - DRUM out

I use a force feedback HOTAS and find the added resistance better to aim more precise. Don't know how light the base of the x55 is but my stick base could be used to bash someone's skull in.

I really want to pick up an x55 but I have some concerns. The reviews I have are mixed. Some say it great and some not so much.

For the x55 owners out there, are you guys satisfied with the product overall and do you feel it might last and stand up to the punishment of space combat for at least a reasonable length of time?

I really want to pick up an x55 but I have some concerns. The reviews I have are mixed. Some say it great and some not so much.

For the x55 owners out there, are you guys satisfied with the product overall and do you feel it might last and stand up to the punishment of space combat for at least a reasonable length of time?

This is the best system,  everything is perfect. Throttle is a bit hard, but you get used to it,  since the game can't instant throttle up and down anyway, it's very accurate. I'm a min-maxer, I use whatever gives me an edge on the other players. Whatever it take, I will buy it and use it. Right now, the X-55 is the top of the food chain. The game will change every month tho, I don't know if the joystick will feel "simulationish" and hold you back in game eventually. In the actual state, it's a lot more accurate than the mouse+keyboard to control the overshoot. Since overshoot kill your accuracy, even if your mouse if a lot more precise, you have to think a lot and it kills your reaction time.

My opinion is completely impartial, I would use a fcking dance dance revolution carpet to play the game if it could give me the extra split second I need to kill my rivals. Usually, mouse is more direct and controlable peripheral, but right now right here, the X-55 can get you to the top.

Check out what a guy posted on the RSI forum:

A pretty user friendly xml generator for the x55 where you can easily bind your keys on the HOTAS.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/154267/saitek-x-55-users-may-be-interested

I have not tried it yet because of lack of time, but it looks pretty easy enough to use.

vMsgdWe.png

This is close to what I use currently, that gives me the best results so far

I love the "instant" strafe at the ready. Can't wait until other game modes like racing are out. I think the Rhino will be just the right tool for this job.