Idris bridge docking ring

Beefsquatch

Has anyone else noticed their is a docking ring located directly on the bridge to the Idris? Not only do I find it disturbing the a highly agile cutlass could swoop in there and board right to the main bridge. Once the invaders are in the general area of the docking ring there are no weapon emplacements that could fire on it.

Posted Image

I see your concern and I wondered the same, but if you notice, so far most of the ships have their docking rings in easily accessible to the crew/cockpit/bridge areas.  I think this is to make boarding actions more exciting.  There is no hide and go seek in boarding actions, its come thru the doors guns blazing.  Personally I like it.  

Disabled isn't clear yet, but going off past games it could be specific targeting and destruction of certain systems/equipment or certain types of weapons damage such as EMP.  Either way it will likely be measurable in game and have some risk component.  

Still seems like a bit of a shame. I imagined fighting for every last inch of hallway to make it to the bridge of a ship and take it. Seems like a boarding party could just drop a grenade down the airlock and kill everyone on the bridge. Or maybe not. I saw on the Retaliator concept art that some airlocks had retractable hull plating that could cover it up, like the turrets on the Constellation for example. So that might be an extra layer of defense to blast through or it might prevent you from using it completely. 

Well don't forget the Dev's have stated that for large capital ships such as Bengal Carriers and stations, that is what they intend.  They have described boarding actions as large fps battles similar to what you describe above. 

I think your concerns about the Idris really speak to the scale of the corvette class compared to other ships.  While its the largest manned ship we can purchase now, it certainly won't be in the game.  And its not clear what a boarding action will require to be successful.  It might be that capturing a corvette requires boarders to take command of the bridge AND  the engine room or crew quarters, etc.  It's still too early to tell.  But I see what you're getting at and I hope the boarding and FPS components are ambitious like you described.  

I think it's more of a size issue with the corvette than it is a game design issue.  

If I was leading a boarding action on an Idris, I'd use my Caterpillar to deploy my main assault force into the Hangar Deck, because it's a more open environment where the defenders can't bottleneck entry. Ideally, I'd crack open the corvette's hangar or cargo doors and deploy my Marines via EVA suits. If the corvette's defenders aren't prepared, they could be sucked out into space or suffocate. :D

The main assault force would make their way through the ship, clearing out the defenders, and taking control of the engine room before storming the bridge. If the defenders were holed up on the bridge, I'd dock my Caterpillar using the docking port marked in the picture, and have a second assault force in position to drop into the bridge, perfectly timed with the main assault force's attack. Or to be more stealthy, I could deploy the second force EVA and they'd cut through the dorsal hatch while the bridge was distracted by the main force's feigned attack. Once the hatch was breached, they could drop stun grenades into the bridge, and then storm in when the defenders are stunned and helpless. :D

If I was leading a boarding action on an Idris, I'd use my Caterpillar to deploy my main assault force into the Hangar Deck, because it's a more open environment where the defenders can't bottleneck entry. Ideally, I'd crack open the corvette's hangar or cargo doors and deploy my Marines via EVA suits. If the corvette's defenders aren't prepared, they could be sucked out into space or suffocate. :D

The main assault force would make their way through the ship, clearing out the defenders, and taking control of the engine room before storming the bridge. If the defenders were holed up on the bridge, I'd dock my Caterpillar using the docking port marked in the picture, and have a second assault force in position to drop into the bridge, perfectly timed with the main assault force's attack. Or to be more stealthy, I could deploy the second force EVA and they'd cut through the dorsal hatch while the bridge was distracted by the main force's feigned attack. Once the hatch was breached, they could drop stun grenades into the bridge, and then storm in when the defenders are stunned and helpless. :D

MORE THIS^^^^

:D

Holy crap I'm glad you're on our team

Holy crap I'm glad you're on our team

Not to be modest, but that was pretty basic tactics. Textbook. Nuthin' special. ;)

However, there's a third phase to that plan -- a twist ending -- which I didn't reveal. Partly because I'm not certain that the game mechanics will permit it; but based on how CR has described the ship damage modeling, it should be possible. I intend to try it out in-game and see what happens. If it works, there should be no defense against it.

It will be my signature boarding tactic against capital ships. B)

I wouldn't worry. Private servers -  where learning, practicing, the ins and outs of boardings on different ships will take place. So if anything, we will know what the hell is going on in PU and what we need to do.

My take on this is that boarding actions for smaller vessels will become pretty dull fast.  There is just not that much room on the ships, except perhaps for the Idris.  I think where the boarding action fun will be is on the larger capital ships.  There every inch of deck space will be fought for.

Try boarding an Imperium Idris you're just making it easy for the other 100 Idris' to instantly carbonize the enemy boarding ship before anything can happen.  A $1000 ship will act like a $1000 ship else there will be no means of progression and everyone might as well stay in an Aurora.