Crowd Funding Bandwagon

00zim00

So it seems that Square Enix has decided to jump on the Crowd funding Bandwagon opening a new site called “Collective”. Tho from what I have seen (correct me if I’m wrong) they will own anything that is funded, Thus cutting into the profits of any Indi game developer trying to start up.

Not to mention this basically means that even though we would be paying for funding a game, there is still a publisher involved.. And we have all heard the horror stories of how most publishers control the creative process when it comes to making games. I have even been witness to this first hand. (Lucus arts, cough cough)

So what is the benefit of a system like this compared to kickstarter, and is “Collective” going to really be doing more harm than good? Could you imagine how Star Citizen would have turned out if Square Enix was its owner and publisher.

"Collective gives gamers 28 days to express interest in supporting a project. Following that period, if enough positive feedback has been received, Square Enix will evaluate whether the developer in question is capable of handling the game and determine how much money would be needed to produce it. At that point, gamers will be able to pledge money to the project through crowdfunding site Indiegogo."

http://collective.square-enix.com/