Dog fighting module delay - "couple of months" announcement

Tiiga

IMHO what i liked more about this delay in the DFM, its the ability of CIG to see how things went different from to start of the game, and now. And act according with the situation.

Chris made a plan on one thing, but that is past now, because the game, is going so well, and the rise of foundings are coming so fast, that he decided to work towards something better than he planned originally. And thats what i like in Chris Roberts, he can do things different to offer something better.

He is not worry about the marketing of DFM would become, and that was why he planned to create this module in first place. But he wants to make the role game, something to live the expectation of the players. Even, of course delaying  one module, that was something that the players was expecting. Looks controversial but its not. Its very wise imo.

CIG Just posted this:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13432-Letter-From-The-Chairman-On-Dogfighting

basically it will be delayed by couple of months, another announcement will be made on the 20th with a live stream.

Heh, I'm ok with it as well, but I totally called this back in October of 2012.  Alpha, Beta, and Launch will be no where near their target dates.

This is a very good call! How many have played in Alpha or Betas in other games? Most can tell you, it is MUCH better to get it right the first time and make small tweaks, instead of wholesale changes, causing a waste of time, money, and manpower. 

@DeathByDigital

To an extent I can empathize, however if you saw the livestream, as well as the last wingman's hangar, CR TOLD everyone this last Friday during the 10 for the Chairman. I DO agree that transcripts and such should be made available for people to read, but if people don't watch the livestreams or WMH, that's not the fault of CIG-hell it's because of the fact that there's actually a lot of good info/clues in the WMH that I subscribed so I could help support it. :D

I have seen 10 for the chairman, but this is the first time i see they put it straight.

And i have to speak for my self, but i think quite a few agree, that the next big thing i/we are waiting for is the DFM.

And i have no problem the DFM is delayed, -for the game itself, its a good thing...

Still i have to say, im a bit annoyed since i have been waiting for a treat around these times, and at the last minute confirmation about it is being  delayed.

(yes, again, we have been reading between the lines that there might be a delay) but still, i try to not pay too much attention to rumors, and i wish RSI was a bit more straight forward on this issue.

Gaming is not all that important, but i am actually really looking forward for this game, and im glad we can participate on Alpha/beta, give feedback, and contribute on the way we can. Im looking forward to fridays WH, and perhaps ill end up with a new ship, and look forward to a even better DFM when it eventually are awailable....

A delayed DFM makes a few people upset.

A released but undercooked DFM makes everyone upset (and can give people food poisoning).

That being said, I intend to go into cryogenic hibernation until this is all straightened out. Someone please awake me on that day.

I'm sad this got delayed, but Chris's reasons are totally valid and understandable. I respect his decision to make the tough call amidst all the disappointments, and I'm very excited to the livestream on friday. Can't wait to view the gameplay footage and the surprise in the hangar for us!

I'm just excited for the video on Friday, after all the more they delay to build the server backbone so we can all play the more teams working on other parts of the game will be able to release more, who knows might even get most of the ships ready from combat in time for the server being ready :)

I predicted this a month ago. I knew that CIG wouldn't release the DFM in December, as schedule, especially not after the Enhanced Alpha stretch goal, wherein they promised to include Europe and Australia in the initial Dogfighting Alpha launch. You can't add 2 regions to the Alpha and not suffer delays -- that's just technical common sense. :P And then there was the admission from CIG a couple of weeks ago that they were experiencing difficulties with CryEngine3's multiplayer component, which meant the Dogfighting Module. That clinched it: the Alpha would be delayed. I'm disappointed by the delay, but not upset, because it gives me an extra couple of months to put together my new rig. :D The $2500 gaming PC I was going to buy this month would've gotten the job done... ;) Fortunately, now I'll be able to afford an Asus Republic of Gamers Tytan G70 gaming PC, with the crazy transforming case, GTX 780 graphics card, and 4.1 GHz CPU that can be safely overclocked to 5 GHz! I'll get a single graphics card for the Alpha, and I'll probably buy a second for the Beta to ensure a silky smooth frame rate at max settings on 2 or 3 monitors. B) It's all about the silver lining. :D

Ok, everybody that did NOT see this coming, pls raise your hands.

Nobody? Thought so.^^

I mean, how many additional ships did they include into the hangar until now? Exactly one. So I guess nobody could really believe they release the next module so soon.

With the current speed of progression I guess the final release of SC might be mid to late 2015.

€dit: Aaaaaaaand to make that clear, I'm not raging about that. :D

That was what we all wanted to have: A publisher that does not release a game half way done and full of bugs. Sometimes we all gotta remeber why a big part of us backed this project.

Thx CIG for having the balls to delay the release.

Edited by Maverick

From what I understand, CIG has divided the game development between several game studios. There's the CIG office in Texas, another in LA, a studio in Montreal (I think) that is developing the Squadron 42 campaign, and another studio in England (I think) that is developing the Planetary Module. The funding has allowed CR and CIG to open and/or hire the extra game studios to get the game, and all of its enhancements, done. So I wouldn't say that EVERYONE expected the DFM to be delayed -- that's simply how it turned out. I'm certain that today's announcement of the DFM's delay has come as a surprise to most of the SC community, and the forums are raging because of it. I hope that CIG has compartmentalized the game's development (presumably, because of the modular structure) so that the DFM delay won't push everything back. Because the Planetary Module should be very different from the DFM, because the former involves player avatars walking around indoor environments, like spaceports and shops, and interacting in a social game. Whereas the DFM is about ship combat in space. Since different studios are developing each module, logically a delay in the DFM shouldn't effect the Planetary Module's launch. Of course, it's likely that CR and CIG will choose to push the PM's release, so that it doesn't overlap with the delayed DFM's release and can be adequately play-tested in Alpha.

Heh, I'm ok with it as well, but I totally called this back in October of 2012.  Alpha, Beta, and Launch will be no where near their target dates.

There's no reason to believe this delays anything but the DFM. On the contrary, the quicker ramp-up, while we're waiting longer because of it now, should speed along the later phases so that we get them sooner than expected.

@Reavern

It will be interesting to see the pledge flow from this point;

he mentioned that they don't want to double do things, so i think this delay will probably shorten the RTM date as they won't just rush into something they will need to work on again.

i think that if they continue their once in 3 months event this can actually bring more revenue if they release this with a new brochure and have everyone spend the money they saved in the last 3 months.

I'm all ears

see how effective this is...like if someone would come to you and tell you hey...heres 10 idrii do you want them? you would be saying no....

but this you can't get them....., they are rare........, you can get one, but only 2 months from now and it will cost more than your M and will be worse than the M and we are all over them :)