Spicey

My First model

I did that same tutorial when I was first learning Blender too. I'm not sure if you got the tutorial from the same place, but there is a part 2 that teaches how to texture it. Below is how mine turned out. If you got the tutorial from somewhere else and haven't heard of Blender Guru, that is a really good place to learn Blender. His tutorials are free, but he also has specialized tutorial series (Nature Academy and Architecture Academy) which aren't free. Wish he had a Sci-fi Academy.

Posted Image

I actually started with 3ds Max and Maya and had educational versions of those, but then I started working on stuff that I'm planing on using for commercial use. Commercial licenses for Maya is just too costly for start ups. So I eventually discovered Blender. It's free and open source and is becoming as powerful as Maya. New features get added with every update. It's really come a long way since it first started. I've seen a lot of professional looking renders and animations made with Blender. Without asking what program was used, it would be very hard to tell it was made with Blender instead of other programs.

The UI and controls felt a bit weird at first because it's so different from other 3D modeling programs, but after getting use to it, it's no longer a problem.