Super hornet?

Space_racer

I guess I can see where the pilot would have control of the ball turret most of the time, but if a more maneuverable ship gets on your SH's six and you can't shake it, you hand over control to the REO so he can shoot backwards and unfuck your situation.

But I don't see how having a REO would be better than having a SH and an Aurora, or anything else with guns.  Everyone starts with a ship, after all. 

Do we really want the "meta" (and I hate this misuse of the term that has gained traction of late) to be where every player has a slave NPC following them around to sit in the second seat of every ship you get into? I see this game headed down that path, not sure I like it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Turo said:

If I'm flying with a HOTAS, I think the Sabre may be a better fit, but I dunno, am I being stupid?

The good news is that both will likely great...but only the super hornet is great now. The Sabre is great to fly, but it's shields lack splash damage and a single size one missles hit will cripple you. So my recommendation would be to pick up the superhornet today, and rent a sabre once the bugs are worked out. Then if you want to cross chassis upgrade to the sabre you will get your chance at some point.

The superhornet is also an easy ship to fly and learn to fly with. I fly it with fixed weapons, and it is only then it has more firepower than the sabre. Today it is clearly the superior platform...but that may change any day :)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Super-hornet price has increased to $180.00 usd.

I've noticed that my buy back ccu taurus to SH has gone up to $30 which falls in line with the new price increase but my tracker - SH remained at $25, so i bought most of them back. This might be an oversight by CIG but nevertheless it now gives me a nice little jump from the $140 price to $180 fopr only $25...sweet.

AJ

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm getting a strong feeling now that a standard F7C may well end up being a superior combat ship to a F7C-M with only a few minor upgrades. Maveuverability and speed are far too important to write off - in theory the single seat F7C can end up with the same armour as an SH, and the powerplant is no longer special for that ship.

Come the Anniversary sale I'm really tempted to get another Wildfire CCU and convert my Supers to something else. I just can't see that extra seat being enough compensation for losing speed and maneuvering.

4 hours ago, Karazantor said:

Come the Anniversary sale I'm really tempted to get another Wildfire CCU and convert my Supers to something else. I just can't see that extra seat being enough compensation for losing speed and maneuvering.

Seems like a viable observation..... I converted my Super Hornet into a F8 Lightning 😎

For me, the Super Hornet was more about the second seat than its components, though it was said to be as close to "milspec" as possible for the Hornet line.

With the second seat, I could fly with friends also, though the Hurricane also supports this purpose too.

4 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

For me, the Super Hornet was more about the second seat than its components, though it was said to be as close to "milspec" as possible for the Hornet line.

With the second seat, I could fly with friends also, though the Hurricane also supports this purpose too.

Fair enough, if you need to fly with friends then yeah, the SH is the way to go, no question. On a personal level I'm basically after the ultimate armoured tank, and the base components really don't seem likely to be a deal breaker to need replacing. I'm pretty confident I can have a far superior craft for only a modest amount of money, and unfortunately insurance though once again I can't see it being a big deal. Not so much more armour, but the same armour and better speed/menuevering..  Unfortunately it seems that CIG have really nerfed the components back to very close to base F7C standard - I originally had SH's for the same reason as you.

I guess one issue that the SH really has in favour - that back seat driver can manipulate shields, radar and fire the turret. That could be a big deal in a serious fight.

I'm extremely cautious about the Hurricane though. I had several updgrades, now melted. Beautiful looking ship, but looks alone aren't enough. I've seen just how completely incapable it is of handling hits and went nuh-uh 😛

@VoA Can't wait to see the F8 in person. The concept art is amazing - I have a couple of the much despised Vanguards for my heavy/long range fighters, glad I held on to them as they suddenly seem useful in 3.3, still not in the same league visually to the F8 however.

8 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

For me, the Super Hornet was more about the second seat....

Remember as well - early on it was advertised by CIG that the 2nd seat can actually be a lock down seat for  a captured bounty 😎

5 hours ago, Karazantor said:

@VoA Can't wait to see the F8 in person. The concept art is amazing - I have a couple of the much despised Vanguards for my heavy/long range fighters, glad I held on to them as they suddenly seem useful in 3.3, still not in the same league visually to the F8 however.

I loved the Super Hornet but one of my rules of thumb with my pledge is not to duplicate ships whenever possible...... So while I kept my Sabre...... I thought the Super Hornet and F8 were too similar to have both (that way I can broaden my pledge more)

On 11/2/2018 at 2:45 AM, Karazantor said:

I'm getting a strong feeling now that a standard F7C may well end up being a superior combat ship to a F7C-M with only a few minor upgrades. Maveuverability and speed are far too important to write off - in theory the single seat F7C can end up with the same armour as an SH, and the powerplant is no longer special for that ship.

Right. The 'IN" ship among the competitive pilots has favored the F7C over the F7C-M for a while, essentially as soon as it turned better. Even with the bonus armor of the Super hornet, players were finding that the F7C superior, at one time even the stealth variant was preferred (I think it had slightly less mass).

In 3.3...today...(11/4/18) The super hornet has the same angular pitch, roll, yaw, jerk and velocity. The super hornet also has that really nice armor.   Version 3.4 will have the mass based flight model, and at this time the F7C will have its advantages again, unless the ships are re-balanced...and they maybe at this time. They should be great ships, likely the best of the human ships at lateral maneuverability, due to its high jerk values traditionally.

So..as of today...no real reason that I can see to ditch the super hornet until 3.4. 

Edit: actually the armor of the super hornet is gone now?  Wow.  That makes it a toss up for me as ships stand now. Actually the Stealth armor has values to reduce your sig. That would be my recommendation for hornets today.

Edited by Scotterius
I checked armor values and was surprised

The Super Hornet was and is still my first "love ship"--and the first concept ship I ever pledged for (the Weekend Warrior package) when it first came out.  I'm still holding out that one day the F7CM will get its dues and become the fighter ship it was always meant to be.  I've been holding onto an F7A Hornet Upgrade too from the original sale on Veteran's Day.

On 11/5/2018 at 5:34 AM, Buckaroo said:

The Super Hornet was and is still my first "love ship"--and the first concept ship I ever pledged for (the Weekend Warrior package) when it first came out.  I'm still holding out that one day the F7CM will get its dues and become the fighter ship it was always meant to be.  I've been holding onto an F7A Hornet Upgrade too from the original sale on Veteran's Day.

Yep, the F7A bodykit (or several 😉 ) is one of my reasons to have some hornets.

As an aside - I was shocked to get into 3.3 today and find the Hornet Wildfire now just has a mount instead of a turret behind the cockpit. Seriously - that turret was one of the main selling points of the Wildfire originally.