NuclearWoo

Drake Herald

On 1/5/2017 at 5:39 PM, Scotterius said:

I feel that the heralds speed threatens the importance of data running. It is simply uncatchable as it stands, and if data collection has no risk...it eventually will not have meaningful rewards. NPC rewards will be low to be inline with low risk trade and combat, and enemy players worth spying on will simply change tactics so that espionage from the herald is useless.  Any one could operate an herald as it stands. Data running has to be hard in order for it to be valuable and rewarding to the participant.

It depends. The ship as we know it is optimized for only one portion of the data runner career...namely the data running part. We don't know anything about the collection/download/theft of data or the selling portions of it. While Herald may be optimized for data running and probably collection too, I'd expect there to be a balance during the collection part of the flight. If you are doing anything clandestine (the case in which people will actually want to try and catch you) there will be significant consequences to being in a ship that's main feature is a gigantic engine spewing all sorts of signatures. Perhaps you have to remain still, or stay within x meters of a given data extraction location to receive the upload. 

Boom. Balance. The ship can fight when detected, but likely the pilot will run without his catch.

On 05/01/2017 at 5:39 PM, Scotterius said:

I feel that the heralds speed threatens the importance of data running. It is simply uncatchable as it stands, and if data collection has no risk...it eventually will not have meaningful rewards. NPC rewards will be low to be inline with low risk trade and combat, and enemy players worth spying on will simply change tactics so that espionage from the herald is useless.  Any one could operate an herald as it stands. Data running has to be hard in order for it to be valuable and rewarding to the participant.

I can't stress enough that nothing is final right now. The mechanics still need to be developed and you can be sure CIG will balance things eventually.

4 hours ago, FoxChard said:

Boom. Balance. The ship can fight when detected, but likely the pilot will run without his catch.

Sure. It seems joyless though. There is no personal risk, just the risk of wasted time and no reward for defenders. I mean for the herald to be a success, in the game, it really needs to be fun for everyone:  data buyers, herald users, pirates and data defenders.  I have a doubt. 

But...not in Chris Roberts ere I be accused of such dark heresy. May his dream never falter.

Feels like I'm resurrecting an old topic (that'd make me a Forum Necromancer?), but it's been a while since someone posted here, and there was more information on the Herald and it's uses in the meantime.

I'm actually planning to use Herald as my secondary ship (next to Cutlass Black) and run/steal/hack information. It appears the Herald will indeed be able to snoop on transmitted data. The operator will then need to isolate and decode the valuable information in order to gain value. At least that is what I understood from the Herald's intro footage.

On top of that, it would appear the concept of Electronic Warfare will eventually make it into the game, possibly allowing Herald to become an important element even in military conflicts. After all,  what good is it to have a Javelin on standby when its systems are being disrupted by a damned hacker?

Thoughts?

Edited by Corwan
Correcting after my Autocorrect. Don't you just love it?