Anvil Carrack - Dedicated exploration ship

Hon-R

If the new ship is going to be only 133m they might as well keep the original thrusters intact as that bullshit about not fitting on a pad would be a lame excuse when the Reclaimer is 155m long and fits just fine.

But cutting it back down to ~133m after the previous team needed to increase it to 150m just to have everything fit and flow properly would be very strange in my opinion. Especially when they then also cut off ~10m from the thrusters for no apparent reason as a 155m ship (Reclaimer) fits perfectly fine on a landing pad.

Unless the 150m version that they already had from the latest iteration kept growing up to 170m and then they cut 10m off the thrusters in order to make it fit on a pad at 160m... Guess we'll just have to wait and see which version they actually meant: the ancient pre-pipeline 123m concept art or the recent post-pipeline 150m greybox model.

Agreed, I hope its the 165m version ofc but looking at that greybox and seing how big the cargo modules are I am getting worried its acctually the 133m long one. at one point they increased the cargo modules because it couldnt fit the tonnage that it was supposed to from the ancient 125m concept. But when the greybox for 155m came out the new modules vs size of the new carrack didnt look much diffrent.

But on this version however, the cargo modules and even other components looks huge in proportion to the body, maybe its just the short thruster giving that illusion but it really looks like a small body with 40% scaled components on it. Hence why I fear its 133m long, but lets hope im wrong.

Guess what, you're all lucky to be able to interact with CIG and voice your concerns. ANY other company wouldn't let you have any look behind the curtain.

I don't care what version we get, I just want my carrack. If it's longer than the original "YEA US!" we got over and cheaper than the hosers that buy them after we get ours.

Im so tired of this "Beeee grateful that CIG interacts, no other gaming company in the history of mankind has been as kind and giving as our lord and saviour Chris (CIG)"

Its true they do communicate with the community alot and we should be thankful for what they do for us, but as with most kickstarters (not unique to starcitizen) the backers usually have a large influence on design and gameplay. Take any other kickstarter right now like Chronicles or Elyria or Ashes of Creation (in AoC case they changed the entire gameplay and UI after the first feedback from alpha 1 aswell as major details on cosmetic/mounts etc that were given out to early backers).

Carrack was one of the (if not the most) sold ships in the game, one of the largest sums of cash flowing into their coffers to directly back the game, I dont think it hurts to listen to the hand that feeds you sometimes ;) 

That being said, they usually do listen after complaints are large enough so keep discussing your thoughts on the Carrack like we always do and throw in your opinion on the official spectrum threads under Carrack aswell now and then :) All feedback is good feedback even when its salty tears from us cultists of the holy Carrack. 

6 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Hmmm I don't know that we have a good what we (community) and CIG Devs work together. Most ships really have flaws. Case in point the HammerHead 9 crew only 8 pods and are quite a bit away. I dread what the freelancer MIS is going to be on its missile launcher.

Yeah the hammerhead pod design was weird, but they had problem finding a good placement for the last one. Which is no excuse if the ship goes under and one pod is missing hehe. I do believe they will fix it and also havent you always wanted to launch someone out in space using a missile launcher :P ?

I will be gone from any source of internet other then a small limited amount on my phone for a month, It will be interesting to see if there is any new information about the carrack when I get back after christmas. So I will say it now, Merry christmas to you all and a good new year! :)

1 and a bit years later from my last true visit to these forums and i must says at lot has changed all in a good way :). But i cant help be a little worried about the carracks overall design, but i do hope they pull off the look that the backers want. Here's hoping the best ship in the game can live up to the hype. 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:16 AM, Danakar Endeel said:

If the new ship is going to be only 133m they might as well keep the original thrusters intact as that bullshit about not fitting on a pad would be a lame excuse when the Reclaimer is 155m long and fits just fine.

But cutting it back down to ~133m after the previous team needed to increase it to 150m just to have everything fit and flow properly would be very strange in my opinion. Especially when they then also cut off ~10m from the thrusters for no apparent reason as a 155m ship (Reclaimer) fits perfectly fine on a landing pad.

Unless the 150m version that they already had from the latest iteration kept growing up to 170m and then they cut 10m off the thrusters in order to make it fit on a pad at 160m... Guess we'll just have to wait and see which version they actually meant: the ancient pre-pipeline 123m concept art or the recent post-pipeline 150m greybox model.

Honestly, I'd say that being a huge ship isn't necessarily a good thing for exploration ships. If you remember what was being told about the jump point mechanics back in the day, it seems that navigating uncharted ones is a bumpy ride and a ship for this sort of activity needs maneuverability. The smaller the ship, the better the maneuverability. 

Carrack was one of the (if not the most) sold ships in the game, one of the largest sums of cash flowing into their coffers to directly back the game, I dont think it hurts to listen to the hand that feeds you sometimes  

Thing is, it is very hard to tell whether the carrack will live up to the expectations of the playerbase right now, as the gameplay tied to exploration ships (anomaly exploration, long range scanning, probe/drone gameplay) isn't even in the game yet. Honestly I'm not so much in a hurry to see the carrack yet as I am to finally get updates regarding exploration gameplay (been waiting for years now). 

As an example, the starfarer and reclaimer have been released, but without the relevant associated gameplay, they don't have a lot of purpose in the PTU atm (aside from having a large cargohold and proving that huge ships can be flown in the game). 

Anything unrelated to SQ42 is low priority pretty much, including Carrack. This is also why we keep getting new light fighters and dropships and not ships people have been waiting for like Carrack.

Exploration gameplay is also low priority. Like jump points aren't even necessary for SQ42 so they can just make it a cinematic or minigame or not have it in game at all.

We'll likely get mechanics for Starfarer and refueling next year, it's on the roadmap. It might be that we'll get to refuel in SQ42.

I expect Carrack to live up to the hype since it has all the necessary things in it to be a dedicated, large, explorer ship(Medbay, Shuttle, Vehicle, S3 Quantum Drive). It's likely to be a good ship to move around in.

I don't expect navigating through a jump point to be a problem for an above average pilot.

1 minute ago, Brightmist said:

Anything unrelated to SQ42 is low priority pretty much, including Carrack. This is also why we keep getting new light fighters and dropships and not ships people have been waiting for like Carrack.

Only in Foundry 42 office.

41 minutes ago, Stanelis said:

Honestly, I'd say that being a huge ship isn't necessarily a good thing for exploration ships. If you remember what was being told about the jump point mechanics back in the day, it seems that navigating uncharted ones is a bumpy ride and a ship for this sort of activity needs maneuverability. The smaller the ship, the better the maneuverability. 

We were told that  at the start for small "jump-points" we would send the dedicated(parasite to the carrack) small craft through the would whole. Then Ben said no we are not. I had this mental image of BSG scout Raptor, small ship multiple seats, but now it'll probably look basically the same as p-52. 

We were also told that larger JP will require larger exploration ship (eg the carrack), therefore piloting the carrack in JP will be part of the explorer "package". If it flies like a space truck there may be issues. 

However it is hard to tell with certainty because last time we heard about JP was 2 or 3 years ago if I remember correctly.

30 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

Only in Foundry 42 office.

I don't think so. I think Foundry42 is dedicated to SQ42 but all other studios are now prioritizing SQ42 pretty much. I'd expect big delays to anything unrelated to SQ42 pretty much.

You can pretty much see this trend looking at roadmap. Like everything related to combat, performance optimization, SQ42 related assets and tech are prioritized pretty much while nothing related to Exploration or other professions are even on the roadmap, meaning you won't see it for at least a year or more.

New length 125m   (2m longer than concepts)

image.png.5c1f3ceffc72957c6d418ffd33b1f16d.png

To make all the interior fit they stripped out a lot of hallways.

New holo sphere like idris

image.png.24ad02761041facf3a070a82c0c42ac9.png

Armored shutters are proving difficult in-engine.

image.png.932ed949756d47bba27b0e222de57f24.png

The medbay will be pretty powerful in terms of repair tiers, not recessionary resurrection, but he sounded like it could do almost everything.

They talked about extendable armor plates that extend over the engines in flight mode. This primarily would server the purpose of making the back look longer and I´m all for it.
The downside of the 125m ship on a 128m pad is that you have an extremly small error margin. There is just 1.5 meter to the front and back that seperate you from kissing a landingbay wall. Think of the Hurston Lorville style hangars.
The bottom turret is currently missing, but they stated that it functionaly stayed the same as in concept. So lets just assume that it was not finished yet.
Also they have roundabout 9 to 12 month before this baby gets shipped so there is a lot of time to add missing things and improve this.

It´s promising and I like it.

The new model looks pretty good to be honest. There is a fair bit of groaning about it on Reddit, but externally at least it looks quite acceptable (to a non Carrack-cultist at least). Internally a bit difficult to tell, however it looks quite promising - certainly better than the Starfarer.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, Karazantor said:

The new model looks pretty good to be honest. There is a fair bit of groaning about it on Reddit, but externally at least it looks quite acceptable (to a non Carrack-cultist at least). Internally a bit difficult to tell, however it looks quite promising - certainly better than the Starfarer.

The new model has the look of being designed with more intent. The last one looked like they took one of their current models and decided to carve out part of the belly to cram in a rover bay and some cargo pods. Then they realized that the belly was too tall for its landing gear so they hammered in some long ones they had sitting behind the hanger at the last minute. It looked odd to me at first, but then it grew on me. The new design did lose that Frankenstein-ish look to it, but I still like the way it looks. There's something lost in the perspective of the ship since there's no banana, but someone on Spectrum did put a scale on it.

tavern_upload_large.png