Anvil Carrack - Dedicated exploration ship

Hon-R

Look, either way, it coming along eventually. 153m is the new (vague) length as the won't touch the internal bridge yet. However, I'm sad that the (snub) hanger with p-52 is claustrophobic. Only barely big enough for the p-52, however it will be the new snub shuttle. I hope, it's not build the garage then build the car.    

carrack-hanger.thumb.jpg.c0ea5734b246f4cb9560fa3297497a08.jpg

There seems to be room fore and aft, but about seems to be limited and the same with the sides.

1 hour ago, Devil Khan said:

Look, either way, it coming along eventually. 153m is the new (vague) length as the won't touch the internal bridge yet. However, I'm sad that the (snub) hanger with p-52 is claustrophobic. Only barely big enough for the p-52, however it will be the new snub shuttle. I hope, it's not build the garage then build the car.    

There seems to be room fore and aft, but about seems to be limited and the same with the sides.

People are just pissy that the Carrack won't be able to carry a starfighter. They somehow don't understand that the Carrack is an exploration ship, not a capital ship, like the Polaris. The Carrack only needs to carry a snubfighter. It's hangar is as large as it needs to be.

I'm more interested in the layout of the rest of the Carrack. The earliest concept pics showed beds in alcoves on the sides bridge, but those were removed, thankfully. Presumably the ship will have a bunk room for the crew and a captain's suite. The recent pics showed the Carrack has some crew amenities, like a pool table.

I want to know more about the Carrack's deployable modules and what purpose they serve. I suspect they were a precursor to player-built Outposts. Perhaps the modules were intended to form a prefab mini-base, which would allow the Carrack to stake a claim on a newly discovered planet. The Carrack could leave some of its crew at the mini-base while it returned to UEE space to report its discovery and/or gather more supplies and buy more modules to expand the mini-base.

However, now with the Pioneer's ability to fabricate outposts, the Carrack's modules aren't as extraordinary. That's why I want CIG to explain what they're for.

No, I also knew that the craft is a snub shuttle, meant to carry at least two. However, the fact that it's very low down due to viewing the wings of the p52 and hanger walls. That is what I am talking about the Pisces. However, it would be a bigger as it would need to  go trough jump points and carry more people and equipment. I wouldn't be surprised if it's weaponless as well. I should years ago of the Shuttles from BSG and basically it did the same things that would be wanted. However, there has been some possible changes in what the role of the Pisces.

2a2e588a6f49d4771b498f4240700aa5.jpg

This is just an example.

Also, no-one has mentions what the modules are/can be. There is a difference between a Military deep space explorer and corporation colonizer/outpost manufacture. 

People are just pissy that the Carrack won't be able to carry a starfighter. 

That's because they are still stuck on the existing paradigm of video games - caught between COD:IW, Dreadnaught, ME:A and Skyrim. As an exploration ship in a game that will change many things in the video game industry, the Carrack should have the equivalent of a captains runabout (similar to the 85X but maybe 2/3 the size of a terrapin with similar capabilities), and one capable of defending itself to a point where it can get away - just as the Carrack should be able to do.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:11 PM, Gremlich said:

That's because they are still stuck on the existing paradigm of video games - caught between COD:IW, Dreadnaught, ME:A and Skyrim. As an exploration ship in a game that will change many things in the video game industry, the Carrack should have the equivalent of a captains runabout (similar to the 85X but maybe 2/3 the size of a terrapin with similar capabilities), and one capable of defending itself to a point where it can get away - just as the Carrack should be able to do.

The snubcraft you're describing sounds similar to the MPUV, which is shorter than a Merlin, but twice as tall. If the Carrack's scout ship hangar has a low ceiling, like in the grey box pic, the MPUV won't fit inside.

When I think about it, the scout ship hangar is incredibly wasteful, because clearance is needed all around the scout craft so that it can safely take-off and land vertically. All that empty space is unused and wasted. The Constellation's method of carrying and deploying a snub is far more space efficient. If the Carrack has a hangar, why not make it large enough for a decent sized ship?

I know that's going against my earlier comment about over-privileged Carrack owners whining that their ship should be able to carry a starfighter. I'm a Carrack owner myself, but I don't care about carrying a starfighter. I'd like to carry a small exploration ship, like a Terrapin or 315p, or a runabout for ferrying a landing party to a planet/moon/asteroid's surface, instead of landing the Carrack itself. If idiots want to waste their scout ship hangar carrying a starfighter aboard the Carrack, I say let 'em. It'll just undermine their exploration capabilities.

Another option is allow the Carrack to carry a Terrapin externally. There's plenty of room on the ventral-aft section beneath the main engines to dock a Terrapin, Constellation-style. The Terrapin is only 6 metres tall and probably wouldn't stick out below the ventral-front section of the Carrack, so it wouldn't even effect the ship's profile. Alternatively, the Carrack has the distinctive Anvil circle on top, between the main fuselage and engines. It's marked as the ship's "Ion Power Generator". That whole thing can't possibly be a power generator. Not even the Idris Frigate has a 25-metre diameter power plant. That circle has to be the Carrack's "main engineering" room, like in Star Trek, and the ship's power plant is in the center. My point is that Anvil dome shape on the dorsal hull could be changed into a landing pad and docking mechanism for a Terrapin. It wouldn't even need a docking collar to enter/exit the Terrapin. The Carrack already has an EVA Room leading to the dorsal hull. All it needs is stairs up to circular landing pad.

wksttyd.png

qqV1Ysj.jpg

Or, even simpler, make the Scout Ship Hangar's doors sturdy enough to double as a landing pad. The Carrack is an Anvil ship after all; they make the toughest ships. It seems plausible that Anvil would make the Carrack's hangar doors strong enough to support a medium-size ship.

Just sayin'. ;)

On 12/3/2017 at 8:38 PM, Reavern said:

If the Carrack has a hangar, why not make it large enough for a decent sized ship?

Indeed. The terrapin, or a smaller version of it, could fit where the extra cargo hold in your image would be. OR, put it where the rover is (ala the merlin/archimedes) and have the rover deploy from a lower point behind the huge ventral cargo boxes

What I find strange is that Ben said last year that only the Pisces would fit. That had me thinking of a custom shaped launch bay. Maximize all available space and have the Scout fit like a puzzle piece. The preview shown during the anniversary series looks anything but. It appears that it would need a couple of metres wider and several taller to hold a ship like the Argo. So are they just showing an empty bay and they're going to do more to it later? Or did plans change? Only time will tell.

49 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

What I find strange is that Ben said last year that only the Pisces would fit. That had me thinking of a custom shaped launch bay. Maximize all available space and have the Scout fit like a puzzle piece. The preview shown during the anniversary series looks anything but. It appears that it would need a couple of metres wider and several taller to hold a ship like the Argo. So are they just showing an empty bay and they're going to do more to it later? Or did plans change? Only time will tell.

I don't have enough fingers for the amount of times Ben has been wrong. He's a great guy but definitely not someone I would go to for concrete information. And don't get me wrong, it's alpha and nothing is concrete, but Ben has literally been wrong about almost everything except the vague info. Anything specific it's like he's living in another world. 

The Carrack's hangar will most likely be modular. There was a quite awhile back, don't remember who said it, that hangar bays are being designed to be modular and not ship specific. If it fits, and the hangar ship can support it's mass, it's good to go. 

18 hours ago, Donut said:

I don't have enough fingers for the amount of times Ben has been wrong. He's a great guy but definitely not someone I would go to for concrete information. And don't get me wrong, it's alpha and nothing is concrete, but Ben has literally been wrong about almost everything except the vague info. Anything specific it's like he's living in another world. 

The Carrack's hangar will most likely be modular. There was a quite awhile back, don't remember who said it, that hangar bays are being designed to be modular and not ship specific. If it fits, and the hangar ship can support it's mass, it's good to go. 

I agree. Ben is not precise in what he says, especially in his informal Bensday interviews with Batgirl. The Pisces is bundled with the Carrack, so in Ben's mind that means the only ship the Carrack is intended to carry is the Pisces -- which is shortened to "the Pisces is the only ship the Carrack can carry".

Some people take those statements too literally -- as gospel :rolleyes: -- and jump to the conclusion that must mean the Carrack's Scout Ship Hangar conforms to the size and shape of the Pisces, like it was die-cast molded or something.

I think the hospital area is too generous, I'd expect something almost the size of the med bay in the Firefly/Serenity with 1, maybe 2 max beds which could double as isolation chambers. More room will be taken up by Science positions: sampling/initial analysis, hydroponics/aquaculture, geology et al, meteorology, 3D printer, etc...

• 1 month later...

Very interesting discussion thats been going on since the sneak peak around November/Dec :) 

Sadly Dec and Jan monthly report had no details on the carrack after 3.0 release, I was hoping now when 3.0 was out the team would have more time to go back to their posts and speed up some progress on the carrack and reclaimer (Patience I know). 

About the Pisces being the only ship for the carrack (Whatever Ben truly ment or if it was true what he said I dunno), but I can imagine since its a specialy designed ship for the carrack (that is awesome in itself) that it will probably (not certain) be the only ship for the carracks docking bay.

Also I do not believe that Pisces will be able to go into small jump holes like the 85X can, I read somewhere that they didnt want the carrack to claim the entire exploration area only for itself (not those exact words), as there wouldnt be a need for a Terrapin or Constellation or any other exploration ship of smaller sizes if the carrack could explore every single hole by itself using either the ship or its snub ship combined. 

Yes I know it says dedicated explorer and its the final goal for all exploreres to reach aside from maybe Polaris, but the carrack is designed for deep space exploration, in a way that only the carrack can using its special tech to find and navigate through deep space jump holes. Taking the trade of maybe being able to explore local closer smaller jump holes in safe space. Therefore I dont think they want the Carrack to have the option to carry a lets say Terrapin in its docking bay or a 85X but limiting it to the Pisces that will be used for transport, planet roundabout and possibly fighting.

Its really expensive (Owns an LTI version myself) but that shouldnt mean it should outclass any other smaller explorer at what they do, the carrack has a specific use that only it can do, it shouldnt become an omnivore among exploration ships.

Also about that fan posted interior VIP pic, I hope they will utilize more space as it looks just way to small and tight for a ship of its size, I was hoping it would be abit more then just long corridors with a few rooms for workingstations that is just large enough for its use, take a look at the engine room as an example that huge power plant is 3-4 times bigger then the room inside the circle.

Other then the ships crew quarters and module spaces it looks right now like its just gonna be a long catwalk with nothing more then slim corridors, even the docking bay has two corridors leading around it with no real use, wasted space if u ask me or just space that they dont want to add in fear of the Carrack rivaling other large ships in terms of interior space possibility (Looking at you Origin 600/890 Jump), who definently will be packed with tons of rooms (obviously its supposed to) still want abit more space to be used here.

Behold my crappy Paint skills :P just wanted to highlight the areas I was talking about with red and blue colours.  (Even if its rough fan based info, that I hope is wrong)

0b81yrD.jpg

Showing some other interior maps of larger sized ships so show you what I mean by the carrack using less space then normaly designed in ships.

constellation_andromeda.jpg

mzy6080oqe6x.jpg

source.jpg

Yvyn0fb.jpg

Basically, this blue ring is the real carrack space, the rest it engineering and ulitiy stations. :P 

LAJoY0D.jpg

10 hours ago, Foxzer Jaxzon said:

Also I do not believe that Pisces will be able to go into small jump holes like the 85X can,

That isn't what the Pisces is for. It is a support ship to go places the Carrack shouldn't due to size or other condition. But, you go on to explain that later in your post.

Thanx for the other bits

8 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

One thing that appears to be missing from those user-made floorplans are the drone rooms. I wonder where those will be located. :)

That and one floor what I can see is only 1 floor plus the cargo/modular bay right under it. but its supposed to be 3 floors if you count the modules if you look at their video from anvil anniversary.

And you are right Gremlich :D 

Still that 25m or so walk to the turret with nothing else around it feels abit wasted space, I would settle for a small little room hidden on the side for weapons or something so the turret crew can arm themselves incase of being boarded while on their post which is probably 60-70 meters away from the nearest gun or armour.

Another cool thing to add maybe as a module (although that would remove the whole purpose of the Pisces) is that under the engine room there could be a docking bay for a Terrapin sized ship to hook on and dock, maybe that could prevent the carrack from being able to do long jumps while docked, so it would have to be used only for cargo transport or smaller operations maybe.

Amazing paint skill v.2 incoming:

nnp5so7.png

6TGGmfO.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm honestly considering melting my Carrack and picking up a Freelancer DUR, and having the $290 to spend on other ships as I need them- the Starfarer is usually around $300 and I foresee myself needing one of those.

I guess I just have anxiety about having $400 tied into one ship when I feel I could do better by breaking it into two ships- the DUR may not be top of the line, but I could certainly achieve the same 'explore with friends' feeling that I was going for. Being able to get an extra fighter, or even the Starfarer feels like it would be a better value. What do you all think? 

4 minutes ago, azile0 said:

I'm honestly considering melting my Carrack and picking up a Freelancer DUR, and having the $290 to spend on other ships as I need them- the Starfarer is usually around $300 and I foresee myself needing one of those.

I guess I just have anxiety about having $400 tied into one ship when I feel I could do better by breaking it into two ships- the DUR may not be top of the line, but I could certainly achieve the same 'explore with friends' feeling that I was going for. Being able to get an extra fighter, or even the Starfarer feels like it would be a better value. What do you all think? 

Honestly it's all what you want to do. We have so many ships we're working on our own rental system within the org to share between each other. If you feel like you can't fulfill your ship, there are lot's of options to choose from. Personally? I got rid of my Carrack for a Reclaimer. For you if you're considering melting it, I would get a good long range single person ship such as a Vanguard and a Freelancer. This allows you to join a unit, make some friends by being part of a crew, and earn what you really want in game. While SC won't hold your hand, you'll feel a lot more attached to the Carrack by earning it than simply buying it, and you can take pride in that.

In my fleet no no armada some where 100 ships ... no no I am not addicted i swear!

Carrack is a prefect ship for it's role long distance explorer both in space and on the ground. Most roles can be done by AI.

Starfarer requires more man power that the Carrack.