Anvil Carrack - Dedicated exploration ship

Hon-R

Also looking forward to hearing more information about the Carrack pods.  Lots of potential there.

I am hopeful that the Carrack makes a great archaeological ship, beyond jump point exploration, etc.

Oh, and cool video, VoA.  That was a lot of work to get that image.

Lastly, lovin the new signature, CC-Corp.  The Endeavor makes for a good background.

Edited by Dawgstar

Also looking forward to hearing more information about the Carrack pods.  Lots of potential there.

I am hopeful that the Carrack makes a great archaeological ship, beyond jump point exploration, etc.

Oh, and cool video, VoA.  That was a lot of work to get that image.

Lastly, lovin the new signature, CC-Corp.  The Endeavor makes for a good background.

Well it certainly has the right features on paper.

It can land but also has a smaller scout ship for you to use. It also has a rover to explore the surface of a planet and a decent cargo hold.

This type of feature though would probably be implemented later down the line with manual planetary landing and exploration.

@VoA Where do you find all this fantastic concept art? I also saw some Sabre and Gladius stuff you posted and I gotta know. They're all fantastic.

I just do periodic searches on RSI Forums, Google, You-Tube, Reddit, ArtStation, etc...  I think the fans are doing a great job promoting Star Citizen and I like to share it to get others excited :)

I'm not sure if we will see variants of not. Its an exploration ship with modular sections so you might be able to modify it to suit your needs.

A lot of people seem to want to turn these things, 890 included, into some kind of corvette military ship. I really hope CIG doesn't go down this route and gives us a stand alone corvette.

Edited by Minted

I agree. While modularity is fantastic, not every ship is meant to do everything. And yeah, there seems to be an obsession with pocket carriers and budget capital ships... if people want one, wait and throw some money at one when it's concepted.

Modules for the Carrack will likely allow it to be somewhat versatile and, with new developments since I posted that comment, it shouldn't have variants. That said, I hope its modularity allows it to adopt a C&C role. I'd like to coordinate an exploration convoy with mine, seems like a lot of fun.

I agree. While modularity is fantastic, not every ship is meant to do everything. And yeah, there seems to be an obsession with pocket carriers and budget capital ships... if people want one, wait and throw some money at one when it's concepted.

Modules for the Carrack will likely allow it to be somewhat versatile and, with new developments since I posted that comment, it shouldn't have variants. That said, I hope its modularity allows it to adopt a C&C role. I'd like to coordinate an exploration convoy with mine, seems like a lot of fun.

what he said.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎23‎:‎32‎, wfja said:

Agreed.

On 10/24/2015, 2:56:12, wfja said:

Why's that? It wouldn't make it any less of an explorer.

But it would. For one thing, it's too f-ing big. To be fair, it as a C&C variant, you don't need any other equipment, but it'd be a waste of the technology when you can use a Tracker or Vanguard to do it for less OR a Javelin or Idris if you have one (with a tracker). It doesn't have the speed to be a jammer. In one of my RL jobs, if you were a jammer, your life expectancy was rather short - measured in seconds once you turned your shit on. Besides, with e-war missiles (data spike for instance), you don't need a 123m long ship doing that job.

Truth be told, if you are in Imperium, you won't find a Carrack being used for either of those two roles. If you aren't in Imperium, stick with a Tracker for C&C and a Vanguard Sentinel for E-War

I'm very excited by the Carrack. I'm looking forward to just exploring the universe, but I'm keen to see what kind of flexibility CIG will give us. The three large modules gives plenty of room to play with. I'm very curious to see how the rover will play out. There's just so much open space that the Carrack gives us to utilize. Do we have an idea for the dimensions of the rover bay? Given CIG's "if it fits it sits" attitude to space, could we replace the rover with a secondary scout ship? Add more cargo? Fit large alien artifacts? 

17 hours ago, kosmick said:

I'm very excited by the Carrack. I'm looking forward to just exploring the universe, but I'm keen to see what kind of flexibility CIG will give us. The three large modules gives plenty of room to play with. I'm very curious to see how the rover will play out. There's just so much open space that the Carrack gives us to utilize. Do we have an idea for the dimensions of the rover bay? Given CIG's "if it fits it sits" attitude to space, could we replace the rover with a secondary scout ship? Add more cargo? Fit large alien artifacts? 

it has drones, a scout ship and a rover, none of which I want more of or less of. the pods under the vessel could contain specific equipment for archeology, oceanography, etc. That or just mission-related cargo - provisions, water, ammunition (if needed), depends, spare parts (long range explorer, eh!), etc....

27 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

it has drones, a scout ship and a rover, none of which I want more of or less of. the pods under the vessel could contain specific equipment for archeology, oceanography, etc. That or just mission-related cargo - provisions, water, ammunition (if needed), depends, spare parts (long range explorer, eh!), etc....

Right, but mission specific configurations would be nice. We don't know anything about the drones, weather they can be offensive, defensive, exploration, etc. I could see exploration missions where it may be preferable to have a second scout ship instead of a rover, or perhaps a large bay to allow for a second rover instead of extra provisions, water, or what not. Given that this vessel is supposed to be self sufficient, I wonder how the repair bay will work, can it repair both the rover and the scout? Will it be able to do some patch work repairs if when you're out in the void you come under attack by Vandul or pirates? Of course the base description given to us sounds very solid, but flexibility is always nice to help expand mission capability.

5 hours ago, kosmick said:

Right, but mission specific configurations would be nice. We don't know anything about the drones, weather they can be offensive, defensive, exploration, etc. I could see exploration missions where it may be preferable to have a second scout ship instead of a rover, or perhaps a large bay to allow for a second rover instead of extra provisions, water, or what not. Given that this vessel is supposed to be self sufficient, I wonder how the repair bay will work, can it repair both the rover and the scout? Will it be able to do some patch work repairs if when you're out in the void you come under attack by Vandul or pirates? Of course the base description given to us sounds very solid, but flexibility is always nice to help expand mission capability.

Flexibility beyond what it needs to do beyond Exploration is something, I, personally, don't think it needs. Tailor to the specific mission? The Carrack is intended to go into the unknown, not the known - that's when you can theory craft needing two scout ships, etc. For a first time mission into an unknown sector, it requires both the rover, the scout ship and the drones (which will obviously be, because the carrack is an exploration vessel, sensor drones vice anything offensive or defensive - the latter two would be game changers that are unneeded in SC because how many people are going to want offensive drones? Most everybody.). The repair functionality will probably be sufficient to get the rover back to the ship (please guys, it's their Truck/Land Rover/Jeep), but, who knows what CIG will come up with.

The Carrack can function as a C2C vessel without any modifications - because the exploration suite will do lesser functioning easily. E-war variant? Lame because it's a waste of a ship.

And I'd like to point out, no one ship in SC will be able to do everything people can imagine. There is no "that one" ship. A Freelancer DUR will be able to function as a C2C vessel just as well, for much less. But, it's range might not match that of a Carrack.

Imperium doesn't need it's Carracks playing C2C, that's what an Idris is for. Or the Corvette. Smaller orgs can use the Vanguard Sentinel or a F7 Tracker, medium sized orgs should use a Connie Phoenix/Andromeda or a DUR.

38 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

Flexibility beyond what it needs to do beyond Exploration is something, I, personally, don't think it needs. Tailor to the specific mission? The Carrack is intended to go into the unknown, not the known - that's when you can theory craft needing two scout ships, etc. For a first time mission into an unknown sector, it requires both the rover, the scout ship and the drones (which will obviously be, because the carrack is an exploration vessel, sensor drones vice anything offensive or defensive - the latter two would be game changers that are unneeded in SC because how many people are going to want offensive drones? Most everybody.). The repair functionality will probably be sufficient to get the rover back to the ship (please guys, it's their Truck/Land Rover/Jeep), but, who knows what CIG will come up with.

The Carrack can function as a C2C vessel without any modifications - because the exploration suite will do lesser functioning easily. E-war variant? Lame because it's a waste of a ship.

And I'd like to point out, no one ship in SC will be able to do everything people can imagine. There is no "that one" ship. A Freelancer DUR will be able to function as a C2C vessel just as well, for much less. But, it's range might not match that of a Carrack.

Imperium doesn't need it's Carracks playing C2C, that's what an Idris is for. Or the Corvette. Smaller orgs can use the Vanguard Sentinel or a F7 Tracker, medium sized orgs should use a Connie Phoenix/Andromeda or a DUR.

I wasn't implying that I want nor need a E-War or C2C Carrack. Perhaps my ideas of wanting to maximize for either searching for uncharted planets or wanting to explore recently discovered but yet explored planets have no merit. I know I would be disappointed if you couldn't configure a Carrack for retrieving the largest recoverable artifacts in the bay or an extended bay. Having one "loadout" for exploration would be rather dull in my opinion. Will we truly know absolutely nothing about where we are exploring? Is it not possible for there to be certain areas to explore which are more likely to have hostile elements or be risky than others? 

If there is then there would be merit to having a more defensive and less defensive loadouts in preparation for an expedition. If the Carrack can go farther than other exploration ships then there must be the expectation of being capable of defending oneself. Obviously a Idris would rip something like a Carrack to shreds. But again if you encountered some Vandul you should have some capability to defend yourself. Better yet the option to improve your chances if you suspect that your expedition will take you somewhere more dangerous vs improving your sensor suites or artifact recovery capabilities.