Salvage!

zealpath

Looks like Salvage has been pushed back... again.
It's now listed for Q2 2020. So... June next year.

That makes.. 5 times now? I lost count on how many times they pushed salvage back.
At least now they actually talked about it and how other systems need to be in place.. which does make sense..

Lets hope the wait will be worth it.

2 hours ago, Fizzlefuse said:

Looks like Salvage has been pushed back... again.

Well they revealed it took them 6 months to get Prospector Mining right but hey did hit a Home Run with it so if we are going to be playing with the Salvage mechanic for years...... then I am fine with the wait.

They do finally have the essence of mining in, but still in the baby steps.
Lot to do yet, like culling inert materials, giving us more space rocks to eliminate hover issues, allow refining into ingots for better sales, bringing the Orion online, and on and on.
BUT... It is there, so...

Like mining, I see a lot of subdivision in salvage. Some will sell the raw junk. Some will break it down into marketable parts or resources, some will even use the chunks for repairs or even upgrades.
Ships you can use, repair/slicing additions in your hangar, repair skills, and other factors will be getting built well after the ability to tractor up a chunk or two for sales.
Every time they gain a little, it just shows how much further we have to go.

Only way forward I can see is going to be several of these 'skills' or 'roles' being just past raw usage on release.
It does not bother me in the least if they get refined after release.
Better, actually, since it will keep new and cool things to do coming down the pipeline well after release.
Everyone's wet dream, a game that stays interesting for longer than 40 hours. - DRUM out

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 4:40 AM, VoA said:

Well they revealed it took them 6 months to get Prospector Mining right but hey did hit a Home Run with it so if we are going to be playing with the Salvage mechanic for years...... then I am fine with the wait.

Is mining good? Idk actually i compare it to elite and I like elite 100x better. I dont like the shaking and i dont like the manually aiming your ship to pick up the purple vacuum cleanable rock chunks. I like my collector limpets alot better. Also the earnings are very very low in mining atm, which is a bit sad.

3 hours ago, Gustav.Henrik said:

Is mining good? Idk actually i compare it to elite and I like elite 100x better. I dont like the shaking and i dont like the manually aiming your ship to pick up the purple vacuum cleanable rock chunks. I like my collector limpets alot better. Also the earnings are very very low in mining atm, which is a bit sad.

I always thought mining was a grind in most games but in SC it is simple enough but still requiring skill....... ++ looking forward to FPS mining..... + mining with an Orion :)

On 10/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, Gustav.Henrik said:

This is a early version of mining and definitely needs some more work.
For starters, they will implement a filter on the prospector that separates the ore from waste debris that you can presumably then throw out. Also the sidebags will be removable in the future. At least that's still the plan as far as I am aware off.

In terms of earnings it really depends on what you are mining and where you're selling it but it's indeed not the best option right now (though I found selling titanium at Levski is decent). That will likely get a update as well.

We just got on-foot mining in the 3.7 patch, which is very interesting (dont get lost underground tho), and we'll get large scale asteroid mining in the future, hopefully with the release of the Orion.

On 10/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, Gustav.Henrik said:

Is mining good?

If you are willing to hunt for a proper rock instead of burning the first one found, it can be lucrative.

Here is my Best Rock.  Well worth the 20 minutes or so to find it. - DRUM out

16k-mine.png

• 2 months later...

From the roadmap update today

Notable Changes for December 20th, 2019

Salvage v1
The Salvage card has been temporarily removed from the Roadmap while discussions continue about where it’s most likely to land. Mining improvements and other tasks related to Alpha 3.8 took priority over recent Salvage work. Additionally, we’ve made the decision to have the team scheduled to work on Salvage shift focus to a number of features that will greatly benefit Squadron 42. We aim to have more information in the new year.

Drake Vulture
The Vulture has been temporarily removed from the roadmap while the above mentioned Salvage v1 discussions continue. We aim to have more information in the new year.

I don't even know what to say anymore. I hope it pops back up on the roadmap again for next year but I don't think it's anything but a delay... again. That's what, 6 times they delayed it now? 7? I've lost count.

Meanwhile Mining keeps getting updates tho... asteroids, FPS mining, Mole, mining laser-heads...
I have a loaner Prospector, but mining can only hold my interest for so long.

meanwhile the Reclaimer is a useless brick, not even viable as a cargo hauler. back when they finally started to develop the reclaimer i thought things were looking up... but no, CIG apparently only built the ship so they could cram it into the SQ42 vertical slice to get everyone's hype up. Even the Vulture is a distant dream now. I can't even get excited for seeing salvage on the roadmap because they've pushed it back so many times I don't believe it anymore. /sigh

I'm so dissapointed. again.

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2013 at 3:17 PM, zealpath said:

Salvage salvage salvage!

Now that they will have a dedicated salvage ship with backed missions and lore i'm sooooo excited!

Combat op's is great but my true love will be salvage for sure!

I got tired of waiting. Turned my Reclaimer into part of a Exploration Pack

• 4 months later...

It's 2020 and we still don't have salvage. Oh but hey, there's a video now on how cool salvage will be once it's here!
...and what kind of systems will need to be in place..

which is something..

...I guess.

The ideas are cool though. Looking forward to the possibilites of the whole piping system. The idea of siphoning stuff off a derelict or recovering computer data is really cool. I do wonder how much of this the Reclaimer will be able to do, since it is the "end game" salvager.
Also, after the Vulture, it's likely we'll see a multi crew salvager thats somewhere inbetween a vulture and a reclaimer.. wondering what that would look like and which manufacturer they'll go for. Since it's industrial, it could be Argo, or MISC maybe?

We are seeing some systems relatively soon we'll use with salvage, like docking, multitool cutting, pushing and pulling objects as well as refinery and cargo decks.
Looking forward to see what 2021 holds

I would imagine Reclaimer can do all of it:

Hull scraping (will just require a hull-scrap-o-matic to be added in a reclaimer update which I think we all know is coming )
Components (this is FPS and is the part that can be done by any ship with a hold)
Siphoning (again update prob includes hoses of some sort for salvage v2+ otherwise can be done by hand in FPS prob)
Crunch (reclaimer is the only one that can do this currently)

Salvage/exploration/space archeology is my primary jam at some point so im trying to be patient and hoping its at least as good as mining. And also waiting for the vulture to stop being randomly 15$ cheaper than prospector so i can swap my prospector for one.

I hope a Reclaimer can also salvage the fuel or things like coolant or gasses. She doesn't have extra tanks as far as I know.
space archaeology would be really cool. I hope they combine it with things such as the actually developed languages for Banu and Xi'an, so people who learned to read them can get more out of finding ancient relics or ruins.

Exploration, like salvage, is one of the many mechanics we still desperately need but I don't see coming online less then a year from now.

• 2 years later...

Well, as far as it's possible right now on wave 1 ptu, when I manage to actually get anywhere.. hull stripping is really fun.

You make decent money with it and its just very statisfying to strip the hull off ships. Kind of like powerwash simulator.
Things are still highly unstable on the PTU though, so caution is advised.