Salvage!

zealpath

I can imagine there being lots of little gems to pick out from the scrap too!

Oh yes!

I wonder if there will be chances for salvage if you're with friends and you blow up player ships?

Salvage has always been a fun mechanic in almost any game.

Oh yes!

I wonder if there will be chances for salvage if you're with friends and you blow up player ships?

Salvage has always been a fun mechanic in almost any game.

From the description of the Aegis Surveyor,

• Aegis Surveyor – The Surveyor, from noted military contractor Aegis, is an industrial-quality salvage ship. Equipped with a reinforced cargo bay, a long-range jump drive and launch pods for unmanned drones, the Surveyor is an ideal ship for taking advantage of deep space wrecks. Tractor beams, floodlights, scanner options and docking ports round out the tool chest on this capable, utilitarian spacecraft.

It seems to me like the salvage mechanic is going to be much more involved than pressing a button or two and collecting teh lootz.  Sounds like you're going to have to get your hands a little dirty to retrieve goods off of derelict ships -- perhaps even including EVA, given the inclusion of a docking port.  Very exciting.

From the description of the Aegis Surveyor,

It seems to me like the salvage mechanic is going to be much more involved than pressing a button or two and collecting teh lootz.  Sounds like you're going to have to get your hands a little dirty to retrieve goods off of derelict ships -- perhaps even including EVA, given the inclusion of a docking port.  Very exciting.

I'm glad it wont be as simple as "click" "derp!"

A mining or cargo ship will be just as big a target as a salvage ship! :3

This does sound very good, I expect there will be a lot of money to be made from salvage.

Imagine this: A big battle has taken place between NPC factions. (The UEE and pirates/crime syndicates) After the battle has ended, the area is littered with derbies and wrecks. You swoop in, salvage as much as you can, and sell it on. Perhaps you will even be able to use some of the parts for other ships. 

I will be looking to acquire on of these babies ingame for sure!

I'm glad that the mechanics will be in-depth as well, it always makes things feel much more rewarding than just mashing keys and clicking. 

Imagine there being some sort of biological viral threat on derelict ships? What if you needed precautions vs such a threat? Disinfect cargo that you salvage, possibilities of booby traps, paying special attention to structural integrity.. I am /super/ excited about all this and i can't want for more information to come out on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also imagine part of the profit to come from exotic "souvenirs" and the sorts, maybe as a collector you'd be able to load your hangar's office with that sort of stuff.

This could quickly and easily escalate into some sort of archeology with the potential of some big jackpots along the way. Then again, i should probably stop hyping myself, it's unhealthy.

Ever since the Aegis Surveyor got shown, I am now leaning more towards Salvaging than Exploring. Probably still do a mixture of both. Very excited to get more details on what plans they have for this career. The moment I get ingame I am saving up for one of those Surveyor ships. And I think it will be fun to be part of a group that is doing Salvaging together.

I will just need me a Jayne Cobb type character as a crewman.

My plans for my Caterpillar are centered around Salvaging. With a built in tractor already I should be able to make it work. They way they have described it as well is highly modifiable.

This is true, should be perfect for that. Just beware I see Caterpillars becoming huge targets in the future. Simply because they are large, slow, and not very well armed.