Aegis Reclaimer

bloodybarker

1 hour ago, GeraldEvans said:

I don't know that there will be. Anyone with a cargo bay and a PAW can salvage, the Cat and others have tractor beams for collecting large items. But what makes this different is the ability to collect bulk scrap. Bulk necessarily means size.

I think it only makes sense to release a smaller, perhaps even a solo-salvage ship if salvage would involve some unique mechanic and/or component that no other ship has yet supported. With mining that's clearly a mining laser assembly.

The Reclaimer does have its claw and likely cutting lasers but since this likely overlaps with the repair mechanic, which also uses lasers to clean-cut damaged parts, it could mean that those tools will be easily swappable on certain hardpoints. CIG has already said the Caterpillar is well suited for salvage as it does have hardpoints for things like tractorbeams and those brilliant side doors. Plus, it's incredibly modular so I wouldnt be surprised if at some point in time CIG even makes a salvage-processor module.
I can also imagine a Cutlass being great as a salvage ship, especially with the current redesign.

Side doors.. Drake LOVES sidedoors:D

If CIG would just release a design doc that would be great :P
It could also very well be that some parts of the salvage mechanic, other then just taking components off, are just a bit too complicated for a single person. Who knows? /shrug

1 minute ago, GeraldEvans said:

Yep, mostly what I was trying to get at. What would make it a salvage ship that ships like the Max, Cutlass, Cat, Avenger, etc. don't already have? A door, a crew, space for bits and bolts.

We shall see.

Apart from the Cat, the others don't have room for a Xenomorph to hide.
Dangit now I need a powerloader. :o

Titan suits form up! It would have to be a few as you'd need a separate operator to work the tractor beam. That would rule out a solo really. Also The Avenger doesn't have a rear tractor beam, but does have an artificial gravity :).

They do you could fit one in a cutlass or avenger :D

I just want to crush a ship "by accident" heh :D

Oh yes, I forgot to say about how it does sort of look like an insert, such as an ant or spider. The body has two parts front and rear and instead of legs, it has only 4 Huge engines. like if you take away the huge arm(s) from the bottom it does look like a spidery ant-ish like insect :D .

I'd photoshop a pic, but my work is terrible and level of procrastination is... to be continued  

Allright, well.. I don't know if Ben Lesnick actually talked about a smaller salvage ship but I'm absolutely sure they have many ideas for ships to release later.It could be coming soon, it could be coming a year from now.. or not at all. They might have changed their mind. We just don't know. I'm sure eventually we'll have a large amount of ships to choose from for any role so lets just sit back and wait it out.

4 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

it was on the forums official like med size, but I can't seem to find it there any more.

like I said, they could have changed their minds.
Maybe it is coming anyway. We don't know untill it gets here.

One of his questions was  in reference to the Small(med) size salvage ship. 

Interesting...who else mentioned a "prospector-esk" small salvage ship? Let me think!!!
No wait it will come to me...
Anyways keep an open mind and i agree we will know when we know...

AstroJak

It's like having a race between an M50 and a bengal carrier. The reason why I don't see a one man salvage is because of the multiple things at once.  Anyway, it next concept is a bank and the only two of the list anvil and origin.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:35 AM, Fizzlefuse said:

It reminds me a lot of a submarine's internal structure, which is cool... but personally i still would love to see more of space. I wonder if we'll have things like external cameras or something.

I would rather see this on a military ship. I still see no reason for these glass bubble bridges. I would rather have the CIC in the bowels of the ship and have only a tiny window (or camera) for the pilot. They are NOT exploration ships. The industrial ships don't need these giant windows, though the fanbase really wants them (what is the purpose of all these pretty views if we cannot see them?). Military ships, on the other hand, are not there to find a new wreck or planet in a photogenic location, but to assault well known objectives. Anyone else thinking the Expanse here (specifically the Donnager). 

6 hours ago, faquarl25 said:

I would rather see this on a military ship. I still see no reason for these glass bubble bridges. I would rather have the CIC in the bowels of the ship and have only a tiny window (or camera) for the pilot. They are NOT exploration ships. The industrial ships don't need these giant windows, though the fanbase really wants them (what is the purpose of all these pretty views if we cannot see them?). Military ships, on the other hand, are not there to find a new wreck or planet in a photogenic location, but to assault well known objectives. Anyone else thinking the Expanse here (specifically the Donnager). 

I agree in terms of realism it wouldn't make any sense for any ship to have massive glass windows, thats a structural weakpoint (even though I read somewhere that the "glass" used in SC is stronger then some of the metals they use for hulls). Even an exploration ship would see more using sensors then the human eye. However, like you said, the fanbase wants windows. People just want to enjoy all these pretty graphics:D

I think even the engineers amongst us who likely play mostly in the bowels of any ship, tweaking the engines and components and whatnot, will come up and enjoy the view now and then. It's a very human thing to want to see things for yourself, with your own eyes

Just the thought of launching from a planet's surface, watching the world shrink and the atmosphere fall away as the darkness of space opens up in front of me, makes me giddy with excitement. To watch a massive space-battle, beautiful colorfull nebulea, pulsars, asteroid fields, planets in all their strange and wonderfull variety, alien lifeforms, wormholes, alien spaceships.. oh man...

38 minutes ago, Fizzlefuse said:

I agree in terms of realism it wouldn't make any sense for any ship to have massive glass windows, thats a structural weakpoint (even though I read somewhere that the "glass" used in SC is stronger then some of the metals they use for hulls). Even an exploration ship would see more using sensors then the human eye. However, like you said, the fanbase wants windows.

http://makezine.com/2012/01/17/transparent-aluminum/

Firstly if you are thinking glass as we have glass in our windows... can I just say that glass is in liquid form and glass is a generic term, not specific to type. We have glass which is stronger than steel, but expensive and has a weakness. Even by current timeline glass is pretty strong compared to some metals. There is zero bubbles in the reclaimer as it's not there design.  

a military version... I suppose the have a military garbage truck? The Starfarer Gemini has a military ship, but the main thing is it has got increased armour plating. no extra weapons. The Reclaimer has already got reinforced plating... 

There is a separate cabin mounted on the belly again.

2 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Firstly if you are thinking glass as we have glass in our windows... can I just say that glass is in liquid form and glass is a generic term, not specific to type.

You mean, there's different types of glass? errr.. yes I know.

Glass is in liquid form? what the.. what does that mean? That was some random information...

I just used quotes in my post for "glass" because, lore-wise, the star citizen ship manufacturers might be using some kind of future material that's not technically glass, yet because it's transparent they call it glass for convenience.

We have glass which is stronger than steel, but expensive and has a weakness. Even by current timeline glass is pretty strong compared to some metals. There is zero bubbles in the reclaimer as it's not there design. 

It's expensive and has a weakness doesn't really hold up unless CIG says Star Citizen's "glass" is more expensive and has a weakness. Again we don't know what they're using. It could be magic space-glass for all we know.

What does "there is zero bubbles in the reclaimer as it's not there design." even mean? I know I'm not a native english speaker but that sentance made no sense to me, whatsoever. Bubbles? you mean windows?

a military version... I suppose the have a military garbage truck? The Starfarer Gemini has a military ship, but the main thing is it has got increased armour plating. no extra weapons. The Reclaimer has already got reinforced plating... 

There is a separate cabin mounted on the belly again.

I believe according to written lore (I might have to dig this up, I'm sure I read it somewhere") the UEE Millitairy allready uses Reclaimers to a degree. If that means they use the standard reclaimer or if there's a variant coming, we'll just have to see.
There is a cabin mounted again? what do you mean again? Yes, there's a sort of cabin there. What's your point?

13 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Firstly if you are thinking glass as we have glass in our windows... can I just say that glass is in liquid form and glass is a generic term, not specific to type. We have glass which is stronger than steel, but expensive and has a weakness. Even by current timeline glass is pretty strong compared to some metals. There is zero bubbles in the reclaimer as it's not there design.  

I'm pretty sure you're talking about present-day glass here. Glass isn't a liquid, it's an amorphous solid. "Glass" just refers to some type of fused silicon dioxide. It's also much harder than steel but shatters much more easily, as we all know. 

@Fizzlefuse

See: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/13169-News-Update-Kaizen 

Star Citizen glass is "diamond laminate"

6 hours ago, Karmaslap said:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about present-day glass here. Glass isn't a liquid, it's an amorphous solid. "Glass" just refers to some type of fused silicon dioxide. It's also much harder than steel but shatters much more easily, as we all know. 

@Fizzlefuse

See: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/13169-News-Update-Kaizen 

Star Citizen glass is "diamond laminate"

Excellent, thanks. I knew I read it somewhere but I couldn't remember where.