Aegis Reclaimer

bloodybarker

1 minute ago, GRIZZ said:

Ungineer got the green light from CIG for sharing his print files so those of you with access to a 3D printer can make your own:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2020702

2e2a8f8422e77dd1c0cea962c6431975_preview

If I had a 3D printer I'd definitely print one.

2 hours ago, GRIZZ said:

I think the Reclaimer was the exploration ship in name only and may have changed to a salvage ship before it had concept art.

That said, I think its fitting to have a rugged front end.  It boggles me why the Prospector has that fishbowl canopy with no protection cage when the rocks are flying.  If you look at their reference slide for designing the Reclaimer, it becomes clearer.

Much like the referenced 797 series Caterpillar Mining Truck, you really only need one man in the "wheelhouse", and it is so far forward on the ship that you will have a full forward view.

I believe in the 3d model claw operator have their own cockpit similar to a crane operator with outside view.  If you look in the concept art, halfway down the arm with flood lights on either side.will have to hop into a turret to get any views.

I work near the harbor in Amsterdam and see these massive cranes float by every now and then.. it really sparksthe imagination on what piloting a big-ass salvage space-ship will be like.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, Fizzlefuse said:

If I had a 3D printer I'd definitely print one.

I work near the harbor in Amsterdam and see these massive cranes float by every now and then.. it really sparksthe imagination on what piloting a big-ass salvage space-ship will be like.

Like flying a big brick with bumble bee wings :P

lol Ben Lesnick is the worst source of info, considering the amount of times he's been wrong or misinformed the audience. I would never take what he says as absolute truth. This is the same guy who would ban people on the Wing Commander forums for saying anything about the movies that didn't include "great" or "amazing". As for the Reclaimer, we know it can land, we saw it landed in the Intergalactic Aerospace Expo.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15616-Intergalactic-Aerospace-Expo-Day-Eight-Aegis-Dynamics

This again?

When you see the Reclaimer sitting on its landing gear, or at least modeled with landing gear, you have a compelling argument for it landing. Until then all we have is their word, and the implication that it can land.

If seeing the top of the ship's silhouette in the background of a video is proof that it landed, I humbly submit proof that the Star Wars universe is about Lilliputians.

death-star-ice-cube-mold-640x533.jpg

80% proof at that. [emoji14]

from the January 2017 Monthly Studio Report:

"In other ship news, the Reclaimer is already deep into production with dedicated teams focusing on the exterior and interior. On the outside, the exterior mesh has gone through a cleanup pass and work has started on shaders. External parts such as thrusters are also close to complete. On the interior, a modular kit has been assembled for the habitation areas and the first room is nearing completion. "

This got me excited. Hopefully we'll get some sneak peeks soon :D

• 1 month later...

Yeah they have increased the size of the rear engine and added  land "feet" to both. Which is a wish move really. Afaik the only access is a lift on the forward right side on the ship. However the ship still looks great, but to be honest, I thought all Aegis ships were to be a clean design, IE no wires externally, but meh just a little not really worth thinking too much.  

Will look great in a few months when they are hanger ready (probably flyable too).

11 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

Yeah we knew that since The Grand Tour "sale". It showed us it landed on the engines, just didn't have the "feet" :D

Like said before by some in this very thread, that Grand Tour sale thing wasn't really a confirmation... which we now finally have.
I wonder what the pipe(?) does that extends downward, near the front of this ship, next to the floodlights. Also, haven't seen a ramp or anything yet so I'm still very curious how we're getting on and off. They probably have a elevator hidden somewhere:D

6 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

Very front right hand side. What we think is the elevator/ladder.

Yeah thats what I was wondering about. It looks partly like a ladder but that seems like quite a climb... and would be quite an odd way for a crew of 5+ to get on board, they'd have to go in one by one. Every big ship with a crew that size has had some kind of elevator or ramp. hm.. interresting...

Well well well, I can humbly admit I was wrong when I said they probably will remove the main thrustors pistons to save polygons.  (like in the vanguard)  I am very happy to see them retained.

Stills: http://imgur.com/a/ChAu0

Gifs:

http://i.imgur.com/KCws7jS.gifv

KCws7jS.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Hj4NT38.gifv

Hj4NT38.gif

More high quality animations:

Spoiler

To be honest, looking at the base of the center ship the inside of the rear engines would be your suitable options. However, ~I'm not saying it is one as I don't know 100% until we get it. I am assuming the rear of the ship is where they crush/salvage parts in it's huge reinforced cargo hold and assuming they main access for the heavy "stuff" is the bottom access. Again speculation.

10 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

To be honest, looking at the base of the center ship the inside of the rear engines would be your suitable options. However, ~I'm not saying it is one as I don't know 100% until we get it. I am assuming the rear of the ship is where they crush/salvage parts in it's huge reinforced cargo hold and assuming they main access for the heavy "stuff" is the bottom access. Again speculation.

I think you might be right. Afterall, you need a way to get salvaged goods and other cargo on and off the ship.
Now that we know she lands I wonder how the manned cutter will come into play and if (and this is pure speculation) she might be a vehicle as well.

In any case, I LOVE how beastly the landed Reclaimer looks. She's like some kind of four-leged wideshouldered beast. ˆ_ˆ

Well I know of a large "mechanical" conveyor belt with a door that's at the underneath side at the very back section. The lower section is just up towards the back of the massive claw arms. However the specs said that they are no human conveyor belt. However she does need a large cargo lift/ramp for offloading her lush operationingly reward.

I could say that I get a hard on every time I think about it, but I won't :D

If you did not pay attention to last weeks 10FTC you might want to re-read the transcript.  With no design doc out yet (Why?!?!) it gives us some more insight into the profession, as well as some clues that the Reclaimer melts raw materials rather than stores it as shreddings.

[11:51] End-yo asks: Can you talk at all about what is in store for the Salvage profession? Will it involve carving up ships for scrap (or resources in the repair profession), specifically seeking out functioning or expensive parts of derelict ships, or some combination of those? Will this be like mining and require good scanning to effectively find salvageable ships and stations?

TZ: Yeah mentally I break salvage into two different concepts. One is what I call scavenging when you’re actually extracting entire pieces of value from other ships, could be engines, could be weapons, could be cargo whatever. Then there’s also what I’d call scrapping which is basically the extraction of the raw materials. You’re actually pulling off the metal plating from the wings and stuff like that.

We’ve talked about having these elements distributed in a logic fashion so that the players that are more knowledgeable about where the most valuable elements and stuff are on a particular ship can strip the most valuable pieces that much more quickly. So what you’re going to wind up having is a tier of players: some of interested in one thing or the other, some of them are interested in only the most valuable parts and then they quickly move on looking for other things to scrap. Other players are basically looking at completely reducing a ship down just a husk and leaving no value behind.

CR: Yeah to be more specific to answer the question. It is going to be a combination of both so you’ll be able to just take general sort of debris and essentially scrap it into whatever salvageable material that you will be able to use or resell. Then you can also look to salvage working individual items. So if a wing blows off, but maybe it has a functioning gun that hasn’t been damage or damaged very much, if you can find that and detach that from the wing than you’ve got a second hand item you can sell.

Both those are going to be part of the salvage profession and Tony was talking about the next level which is scanning and knowing the aspects of a ship that may be the best to salvage. So you don’t want to maybe salvage the entire hull, but perhaps this part of the hull has whatever titanium armour and therefore is more valuable than another part of the hull so that will be the part that you want to salvage or dissolve into your big salvage tank.,

TZ: And one of things I really like about that particular concept is that it scales really well to any number of players. In other words when you think about a salvage ship as having one laser or whatever it is that is basically going to pull the materials off of there, you’ve only got a single player that can actually engage in that and if you want more maybe we could add a second one of these devices, but you’re still going to be fairly limited.

If you start to turn this into something to where players with their individual hand controlled stuff, it can basically extract things then you have two things: one it becomes very time consuming at that level, at a personal level to scrap an entire ship, but it’s actually still very cost effective if you have done this enough as such that you know where all the most valuable areas are and that’s all you’re going to bother so. So what I would say is when you're talking about scrapping the entirety of a ship, that’s probably going to be you’re going to aim the fire house at it, the big dedicated device, but when you’re talking about just extracting bits of value you quickly get in get out maybe because there’s a lot of residual dangers in that area, then it actually becomes very effective to have you and four, six guys who's maybe other players, friends of y ours, other NPCs that you’ve hired to just attack it in mass, just hit the valuable parts and then go on.

CR: Yup, absolutely. So there you go. All those things will be there so I think salvaging will be quite and graphically kind of already handle it with the damage shader because you can sort of dissolve off the surface in a more regular pattern and you’re taking off the top of the hull for salvage.

TZ: This is a great example where we’re reusing technology from one purpose to another and we’re actually going to do the same thing, repair is actually going to be largely…

CR: The other way.

TZ: the inverse of this process to where you take all the raw materials that you’ve stored in your ship and you can dispatch three,  or four, or six guys or the big dedicated device depending upon how quickly you want to move across the entire ship and repair just select areas.

34 minutes ago, GRIZZ said:

If you did not pay attention to last weeks 10FTC you might want to re-read the transcript.  With no design doc out yet (Why?!?!) it gives us some more insight into the profession, as well as some clues that the Reclaimer melts raw materials rather than stores it as shreddings.

When they revealed that the Reclaimer has a salvage processor I always assumed it would melt down raw scrap to something like bars or rods of metal which you can then store within containers. It just makes sense in terms of space management... something like a wing would take up significantly more space if you just shove it into your cargobay.

A lot of salvage scavaging will be finding functioning components and taking them off the derelict. Because of this, I reckon knowledge of repair and engineering mechanics amongst the crew will be invaluable, to determine the damage on components, how to repair the component and perhaps its worth. I can see Reclaimer and Crusible crews working closely together because of this and in cases overlap. In which case Repairbears might also be great Salvagebears and vice versa. ;)

You'll have to store everything somewhere so you reckon the cargo hold will be quite large to hold about a Constellation's worth of salvaged materials.
I fully agree with you @GRIZZ that we really really need a design doc for this as it's all up in the air, even with Tony Z explaining it in a 10FTC video.

Perhaps after 3.0 is released we'll get one?

3 minutes ago, Fizzlefuse said:

I fully agree with you @GRIZZ that we really really need a design doc for this as it's all up in the air, even with Tony Z explaining it in a 10FTC video.

Perhaps after 3.0 is released we'll get one?

My theory is still that its been done since last summer and their sitting on it and will release it alongside a Prospector sized salvage concept ship sale.

Just now, GRIZZ said:

My theory is still that its been done since last summer and their sitting on it and will release it alongside a Prospector sized salvage concept ship sale.

Thats a very reasonable theory.... I was expecting a prospector sized salvage ship to be revealed before the Reclaimer went into production though, like how the Orion reveal pre-dates the Prospector's. Now the Reclaimer is this far into production already, I really don't understand why they wouldn't just release it