RSI Orion

Arcanus

RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

So... since the "mining ship" was the overwhelming favorite choice, who plans on picking one of these ships up right away?

OR  

Do you plan on simply modifying one of your existing ship (Freelancer, Constellation, or Starfarer) to fill this role instead of buying yet another ship?

I mean we can imply they will be for sale before release and they probably will be but it hasn't been confirmed right?

But I think this is just wishful thinking to me it would be nice if they stop selling us new spaceships and reserve some of them to be obtainable ingame only.

Hah yeah I agree there really needs to be some ships that are only obtainable in game.. This could be something I picked up in game at some point, that or the potential upcoming Salvage ship that is currently owning the new vote for the next ship.. I would sway towards salvage though so hopefully that will win..

I also just realised im at $995 pledged with the ships I have.. I think I should grab a skin to bump me up to concierge level. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if we reach the $31 million stretch goal before the LTI deadline, so there's a chance that the RSI Orion mining ship will be available on the 26th.

However, based on the description of the Orion as a "mining platform", I don't think it will be worthwhile buying one now, even to get LTI. I'm sure that Trade & Industry people will disagree with me about that ;) and will buy it if it's available.

I just think that a mining ship's function is too limited to warrant buying before the Persistent Universe Beta. It would probably be suicidal to fly the Orion in the Dogfighting Alpha. And it's clear that the Orion hasn't been modelled for the Hangar yet -- it probably only exists in written form right now.

If I were a miner, I'd use a Freelancer as a mining ship when the PUB begins, and I'd save up and buy the RSI Orion in-game.

I just think that a mining ship's function is too limited to warrant buying before the Persistent Universe Beta. It would probably be suicidal to fly the Orion in the Dogfighting Alpha. 

Still secretely wishing those strong and precise mining lasers could be used to cut an enemy ship in half :P

Still secretely wishing those strong and precise mining lasers could be used to cut an enemy ship in half :P

That would definitely be cool to see! B)

Of course, if mining lasers could slice a ship in half, I expect there will be even more powerful beam cannon weapons designed for combat. Perhaps an Idris could mount a beam cannon on its spinal mount instead of a rail gun, and use it to cut a ship in half. :D

All I can think if is Fruit Ninja: Space Version haha Now back to topic, I would disagree with you Reavern about its worth before the PU beta. Surely it would be good for CGI to have dedicated mining ships out there testing the mining mechanics before launch, rather than waiting for people using freelancers or cutlass' to mine to buy the appropriate upgrades, giving them less data.

Not that I'll get one, more of a hauler kind of guy

I think it'll also be at least a little bit useful to have a chance to try out the ships BEFORE the PU launch, because it'll give us an idea as to how these ships maneuver & fight... which will be important for us to formulate tactics on how best to employ and protect these ships once the PU launches.

All I can think if is Fruit Ninja: Space Version haha Now back to topic, I would disagree with you Reavern about its worth before the PU beta. Surely it would be good for CGI to have dedicated mining ships out there testing the mining mechanics before launch, rather than waiting for people using freelancers or cutlass' to mine to buy the appropriate upgrades, giving them less data. Not that I'll get one, more of a hauler kind of guy

How can the RSI Orion test the mining mechanics before the PU Beta? The Dogfighting Alpha is all combat, so there's not going to be anything to mine, and the Orion is just going to be a target in dogfighting battles. The PUB is where and when the mining mechanics can and will be tested. That's why I said it'll be smarter for aspiring Miners to save their money and wait, and buy the Orion during the Beta with in-game credits. But backers are free to spend their hard-earned money however they want, so if they want a mining platform, they can buy it. :) I just think that with all the hype and excitement about these new ship announcements, backers sometimes forget that they can acquire the ships in-game using credits. Regardless, I predict that the sale tomorrow is going to be HUGE! :D I predict we'll smash at least 2 stretch goals in 24 hours. And I wouldn't be surprised if the servers get overloaded by the demand and CIG has to extend the LTI deadline and new stretch goal ships availability until the end of the week, so no one misses out because of technical problems.

How can the RSI Orion test the mining mechanics before the PU Beta? The Dogfighting Alpha is all combat, so there's not going to be anything to mine, and the Orion is just going to be a target in dogfighting battles. The PUB is where and when the mining mechanics can and will be tested. That's why I said it'll be smarter for aspiring Miners to save their money and wait, and buy the Orion during the Beta with in-game credits.

I'm sorry Reavern, I seem to have misread your post. I thought you were saying not to get the Orion during the beta, to wait until the full game is launched. Feel free to ignore my post haha. This is why I shouldn't code and forum surf at the same time haha.

Wait, wait....'high-grade turret mounted tractor beams'.............turret-mounted............I sense a moveable weapons platform........now, I doubt it'll be suicidal to fly in combat, just think of how much room for armor you'll have without all that mining equipment.

I think this'll be my combat ship, IF I can modify it how I like. :D

I plan to pick it up, unless I really dislike the look they will give it (or if there is no LTI - in that case just get it in game). 

Sometimes just want to relax by mining after a week of pew pew pew. 

CIG is putting so much effort on new ships, and I'm OK with that but I would rather have CIG spend money on some Hangar upgrades such as a conference room with a monitor with the Star Map loaded on, Team Speaks to chat with our friends, and or to look at what commodities are available on the planets listed so far. I think a firing range or target obstacle course would be great. Maybe even have an app so we could paint our ships and add on some decals like in War Thunder.

I know they are doing great work and patience is probably needed on my part but I would like to have something else to drool about for a change. Ships will always be forth coming and I bought and melted quite a few locking in on what I want to do once we start and being able to have a few ships ready to indulge in a more combative roll.  

CIG is putting so much effort on new ships, and I'm OK with that but I would rather have CIG spend money on some Hangar upgrades such as a conference room with a monitor with the Star Map loaded on, Team Speaks to chat with our friends, and or to look at what commodities are available on the planets listed so far. I think a firing range or target obstacle course would be great. Maybe even have an app so we could paint our ships and add on some decals like in War Thunder.

I know they are doing great work and patience is probably needed on my part but I would like to have something else to drool about for a change. Ships will always be forth coming and I bought and melted quite a few locking in on what I want to do once we start and being able to have a few ships ready to indulge in a more combative roll.  

Lounge(conference room) - In progress Star citizen map - 

firing range - in progress Want more stuff in hangar? There was a voting part some time ago.... Here is a post about the voting part:  https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/58158/hoses-and-parts-for-the-hangar-floor-tips-ideas-for-items-and-uses#latest ___ Painting ship: There will be a way that you can paint a ship and put it queue for it to be accepted. Since they cant accept every ships for eksample; pink ones. Gotta be within the lore and ect... This is something they mention in wingmans hangar  

Lounge(conference room) - In progress Star citizen map - 

firing range - in progress Want more stuff in hangar? There was a voting part some time ago.... Here is a post about the voting part:  https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/58158/hoses-and-parts-for-the-hangar-floor-tips-ideas-for-items-and-uses#latest ___ Painting ship: There will be a way that you can paint a ship and put it queue for it to be accepted. Since they cant accept every ships for eksample; pink ones. Gotta be within the lore and ect... This is something they mention in wingmans hangar  

I just love the little detail that the planets do orbit around the sun.

• 1 month later...

This tractor beams are weapons too, you can use them on moving ships but it can be overloaded and burn. A turret mounted special one can be very strong and catch the already damaged ships,. When i write this, It sounds like warp scramble in eve online hehe

• 8 months later...