Cutlass - potential light mercantile ship?

RandomHero

78 members have voted

1. 1. Am I bat crap crazy?

• Yes, stop taking up space on the forum.
    • You might just be onto something.

I think that the rail on the bottom of the Cutlass could mount a Stor-All BigBox, giving the Cutlass another 10 tonnes of cargo.

The specs list two Class 4 Hardpoints - one of which was on the top, but I believe that was later upgraded to a Class 5?

The only other place I think a Class 4 could go, would be the belly!

From the RSI Page 'Engineering:Ship Components Systems' (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12936-Engineering-Ship-Components-Systems) Class 4 Hardpoint: Generally used to mount turrets, some ships can also use these hardpoints for increased cargo space and other ships systems.

That rail looks big enough to fit one of those boxes to me!

I've been eying that underbelly rail in the hangar. I agree that it could possibly mount some sort of cargo extension or who knows what else.

• 1 month later...

I imagine it'll be great for quick, light transport/smuggling. Squad a couple up and you'll be a highly capable, highly defensive, relatively fast transport group. I see this ship more and more for trading/salvaging than piracy every day.

The Cutlass theme song :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPJn4gNwxU

lol great song. I've already listened to it more times than I should have.

I imagine it'll be great for quick, light transport/smuggling. Squad a couple up and you'll be a highly capable, highly defensive, relatively fast transport group. I see this ship more and more for trading/salvaging than piracy every day.

This is how I see it as well. Quick, light transport/smuggling. Short distances through dangerous or sketchy areas. For the long haul there's better options of course, but it's still a capable ship.

• 10 months later...

i originally pledged for the cutlass black, people say she flies like a brick, but to me she's a graceful brick. here recently i upgraded her to the red because my main focus is gonna be S&R. however i'm seriously considering pledging a second cutlass just for use as a transport/hauler for intermediate use. i believe the cutlass to be especially capable in this capacity,  

The black does handle like a big slow boat. Until u learn to use the afterburner correctly. Before my SL could finish telling me i had a dude on my 6, dude was dead. I decoupled, did a 180 with the afterburner, fired one round of 5 Sawbucks, afterburner 180 again, coupled, and kept going at 180 m/s without missing a beat all before this man could say a sentence. Practice turning in all directions with the afterburner, the trick is to not overshoot your target. Once you get that down pat, and of course decoupled flying, you will become almost invincible.

Cutlass is just one of those ships you need to learn how to fly well.  I'm sure as the game becomes more developed some enterprising people like Qefucan here will beef up the academy staff (perhaps?) and demonstrate these to other players in a learning setting.  

Its not all pew pew like the superhornet, but she can be a beast.

I think the rails are there for structural support or to build in some offset distance when you dock with another ship.  

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2014 at 3:32 PM, Mr. Tooz said:

Exactly, the ship has so many uses it'd be a crime to just use it for piracy ;)

Seriously though, the redesign should be amazing.  The drake ships are so versatile that they're hard to pass up buying...