Go Aurora !

Ukhtral

The Aurora's appearance and graphic fidelity have appreciably improved with the Rework, however, I think CIG has made a mistake retaining the Aurora's excessive and unnecessary cockpit canopy braces, which obstruct the pilot's view. I've flown the Aurora, just to try it, so I know the braces are more of an annoyance than anything. Regardless, it doesn't make sense that they're there. Other SC ships have excellent cockpit views without any braces. CIG has fixed some ships that had obstructed cockpit views. However, it doesn't appear that they've fixed the Aurora's cockpit view with the Rework, despite that the Aurora is widely considered as having the worst cockpit view of any ship in SC. The Aurora still has the two vertical braces and the horizontal brace, which also makes the canopy unnecessarily angular and causes glare and reflections. At the very least they could've (should've) removed one or the other, preferably the vertical braces.

Furthermore, I hope CIG figures out how to make the Aurora relevant long-term, instead of it merely being a starter ship that all players will discard ASAP.

My suggestion for a way to keep the Aurora relevant is enable it to be upgraded with a wide variety of after components and upgrades that significantly boost its performance, making it a viable ship in the long-term. I understand that all SC ships can swap out components. What I mean is that the Aurora will benefit from upgrades more than most ships.

The premise is that factory-built Auroras are equipped with basic, entry-level components -- even the variant models, like the LX, Legionnaire, or Clipper, don't reflect the Aurora's full potential -- because RSI wants to keep the purchase price as low as possible to sell more Auroras and dominate the "starter ship" market. Similar to a Honda Civic, the Aurora has a reputation as a ship for tuners and modding enthusiasts. With the right components, the Aurora can rival more expensive ships.

When I flew the Aurora, the worst problem with it was its power plant was grossly inadequate. The Aurora MR's power plant couldn't keeps the laser cannons firing for more than 10 shots in succession. I also tried the Legionnaire and it was actually worse because it had 4 guns instead of 2. The Aurora lacked the firepower and power plant to kill even a Vanduul Scythe before the lasers needed to recharge and the attack could continue. That's a serious problem! I know that one solution is to equip the Aurora with ballistic cannons instead, which have minimal power draw, but the power plant is still too weak to recharge the shields or propel the ship very fast.

If the Aurora can equip a significantly more powerful power plant, it would go a long way to improving the Aurora's performance and capabilities. However, all ships can do that. An Aurora owner can equip their ship with a better power plant, and so can a 300i owner or F7C owner, resulting in a net zero improvement for the Aurora compared to other ships. That doesn't solve the problem of players buying better ships and leaving used Auroras to rust in scrapyard somewhere.

That's why I think that the Aurora needs to be given an edge over other ships to help it be relevant. Perhaps there are special Aurora components that only Auroras can use, which are better than universal components that any ship can equip. Or perhaps there are special Aurora mods that enhance the ship's component capacity. For example, based on the Aurora's current ship specs, its max power plant size is 2. What if a mod could increase the size to 3? Perhaps the Aurora's chassis and hull are designed that all components are externally accessible through access panels. Aurora mods enable larger components to be mounted externally with an adapter slotted into the component slot on the chassis, and the Aurora's exterior would be visually altered -- which would be a giveaway that the Aurora is packing more heat.

Basically, using mods, an Aurora could be transformed into a "Super Aurora". And there'd be a wide variety of mods, including cosmetic flare, that would make Auroras far more customizable and distinctive that other ships.

I think that would be a good way to make Aurora relevant long-term.

I'm still wondering how the Aurora fits in with the Polaris. We know CIG said that the hangar bay of a Polaris could service a small fighter but if a Sabre will fit in there then I would assume that 2 Aurora LN's could fit side-by-side no problem.

As such I'm still waiting to see if CIG just uses the same type of connector balls like we currently have in our hangar and just give the Polaris a single S1-2 'ball' in the center of the pad or if there's an exception where the Polaris could fit 2 Auroras (as they are made by the same company). I'm guessing it's going to be the single S1-2 anchor point though.

I mean the Aurora isn't the best looking ship, but if I'm able to launch 2 LN's out of my Polaris versus 1 Sabre I might opt for the 2 LN's as they can still engage/harrass potential threats while also being able to ferry cargo when I need to transport some goods planetside.

But as always CIG never provides a solid answer. :P 

(My preferred option would still be a Cutlass though but I guess CIG will never allow that one to fit inside a Polaris) ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...